STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: C.O.O.L. Beasts

Excellent!
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Going very quickly. This is quite easy to do. If you've ever had one of those times when you see a commercial on tv about a new invention and think, why didn't I think to invent that, well, your having that again. he he.

Attachment 17841 and Attachment 17842.

I plan to give each ruleset it's own tab.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Made great progress the first day. All of the stat fields are in for C&C and AD&D. I will next be entering Damned's data fields in a new tab. I'll let you know if anything overlaps that shouldn't.

Note: There was one compromise I was forced to make. As you might know, the only attributes in SW that overlap with D&D are strength and charisma. I was forced to enter the fields as strength1 and charisma1 due to a database type mismatch (i.e. sw attribute die vs number for d20). So, this will still need to be changed in the xml output. A simple Find/Replace job to change all instances of strength1 to strength and charisma1 to charisma.

Attachment 17843 and Attachment 17844
    Last edited by vodokar; February 9th, 2017 at 07:13.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

I have finished the section supporting Damned Basic Dungeon.

I am not 100% certain that this will work without having to still do some minor edits in the xml, because of your unique data structure requirements. Specifically, I had no idea how to handle <clilist2>
    <id-00001>stuff inside</id-00001></clilist2>. I also wonder, what happens if there are more than one attack. Also, have you devised a scheme for class-based npc's?

I had to make three changes to variables:

1) treasure = DbDtreasure (this is to allow a separate value for your treasure types)
    2) xp = xp_DbD (this is to allow a separate value for your xp; also note that some rulesets use string fields vice numbers).
    3) (under the attack section) name = attackname (this obviously conflicts with the "name" of the creature record).

"move" was left as "move", but this means it will be linked with the other rulesets data. If you think this needs to be a separate value, we should rename as "DbDmove".

"notes" was given a unique formatted text tab. The standard formatted text tab for the other rulesets outputs to the variable "text".

I have not currently done anything with <description type="formattedtext"><p></p></description> under the attack section. Also had no idea what to do with <shortcut type="windowreference">
    <class>cas</class> <recordname></recordname></shortcut>.

Here is the screenshot: Attachment 17861.

One last thing. The tabs for the npc record are graphics vice being text, so, I'm going to need some new tab buttons made that say "C&C/AD&D", "DbD", "DCC RPG" and "S&W", as well as, "Text" and "Notes". If someone can help me out with that part, I would be grateful.
    Last edited by vodokar; February 9th, 2017 at 22:06.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Blog Entries
    Ill send you the graphics tonight Vodokar.

I can probably remove:
    <cas1_label type="string">Rolls</cas1_label>
    There is no need for this to be editable in NPCs.

Everything between
    <clilist2>.. and ..</clilist2>
    can probably be removed... but then Im not sure how much work this creates or saves when using COOLBeasts... let me think on that.
    numenc is Number Encountered

Looking very interesting my friend!

I'm excited for this, vodokar! Great idea with lots of potential!
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Did a second pass on the DbD Section. Attachment 17876

It now only has 2 variables different:

1) treasure = DbDtreasure
    2) xp = xp_DbD

If you can change those two variables it will be seamless.

I used a new structure for the items between <clilist2></clilist2> so that output will generate that xml structure.

Items still not able to incorporate is <description type="formattedtext"><p></p></description> and <shortcut type="windowreference"><class>cas</class> <recordname></recordname> </shortcut>.

Other than that, I think we got it.

I will next turn my attention to DCC RPG. Hopefully Leo has been following this discussion.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Nice, Chuck (or do you prefer Charles? Completely understand not wanting to be referenced by a name you don't prefer - for me, I prefer Patrick. The only people that call me Pat are my parents and my two best buds since we were 5 years old).

Anyway, can't wait to take a gander at this. I decided to work the S&W npcs very closely to how you have the AD&D npcs put together so we could maintain optimum compatibility.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder

Finished support for DCC RPG in Old School NPC Maker extension. Attachment 17886.

Variables I had to change due to conflicts with SW:

strength = strength1 (this is the same change shared with the other d20 rulesets) (SW also uses strength and it is a die type vs a number)
    agility = agility1 (SW also uses agility and it is a die type vs a number)

These can handled with simple find/replace in notepad++.

Variables changed due to conflict with other d20 ruleset:

ac = DCCac (this was changed due to a data type mismatch [string in DCC vs number in C&C]

This would best be handled with changing the variable name in the DCC ruleset to make seamless.

Variables changed in order to allow separate value for DCC ruleset:

treasure = DCCtreasure

This would best be handled with changing the variable name in the DCC ruleset to make seamless.

Variables shared with other rulesets:

hp, speed, strength1, intelligence, languages

This should be evaluated as to whether any of these values need to be separated from other rulesets.

Notes section uses the same formatted text tab as Damned Basic Dungeon.

S&W is next; but don't have enough data to continue.
    Last edited by vodokar; February 11th, 2017 at 21:51.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Blog Entries
    Some kind of serious voodoo going on here!
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information