FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234

Thread: C.O.O.L. Beasts

One thing I noticed with Labyrinth Lord is that the Realm of the Crawling Chaos supplement added two more stats to the monsters stat blocks. So that might be something to check with other systems as well and see if that occurs with monsters in other systems. So that a space is available if a player is entering a monster that has a a stat block as an option, even if the majority doesn't use that info.

Also, for those that don't know Faster Monkey Games made all of their Labrynth Lord & Mutant future PDFs available for free on RPGNOW/DTRPG. If anyone is looking for some good modules that can be run with most OSR systems.

Not sure if this will help much, but I started looking at monster stat info in a few system that add things or make changes in other similar or same line products.

This all the Goblinoid Games' monster block for the LL & official LL compatible stuff with changes noted.

Labrynth Lord Stats have this in a stat block. Note that the "XP:" was missing from the 1st printing and all don't have a Swim or Fly movement.

No. Enc.:
    Alignment:
    Movement:
    Fly:
    Swim:
    Armor Class:
    Hit Dice:
    Attacks:
    Damage:
    Save:
    Morale:
    Hoard Class:
    XP:

The Realm of Crawling Chaos supplement for LL added these to the ones LL uses:
    Intelligence:
    Psionic Strngth:

The Mutant Future game:

use the same as normal Labrynth Lord but adds a "Mutaions:" entry after the descriptive text.

Apes Victorious and Starships and Spacemen uses the basic Labrynth Lord format with these changes:

"Hits:" replaces "Hit Dice:"
    "Armor:" replaces "Armor Class:". Note: In AV & S&S2e this is a to hit modifier number. A LL AC of 9 is equal to an Armor of 0 in these latter games. See the conversion info in AV for more info. They are differnt numbers that due the same thing.
    "Psionic Potential:" is added.
    "To-Hit:" is added.
    "Intelligence:" is added.

Once I get the Old School NPC Maker tool finalized, I will give more guidance for the progression of the C.O.O.L. Beasts project with regards to specs we are working towards, submission methods etc.

At a high level, what we are shooting for is to seek out OGC creatures that may exist in one OSR game, but not in all. We then use our gaming knowledge and guidance from the various rulebooks to stat them out for all the various OSR rulesets available for Fantasy Grounds.

We can also include the common ones, as well, though that is likely a lower priority, due to the availability of the C&C Creatures and Treasure manual being available.

Exact format for filling out each statblock field, in order to maintain a consistent product, will be discussed at a later time.

One important thing to note is for the AD&D and Basic D&D Stat Blocks. Neither one of those sources are OGL or OGC, so, we can't take the stat-blocks verbatim from those sources. OSRIC and LL are likely the best sources to grab those Stat Blocks from.

i am building the Old School NPC Maker tool to support the Stat Block formats of each of the old school rulesets that currently exist or soon are coming to FG. Should new ones come available, I will look at the individual needs of that specific ruleset and update the tool to support it.

At launch of the C.O.O.L. Beast project, we will be supporting C&C, AD&D (OSRIC Stats), Damned Basic Dungeon (B/X clone), Swords and Wizardry, Basic Fantasy and DCC RPG.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Blog Entries
    Vodokar - Im going to change the names of my fields that clash with the other rulesets to make it simpler... Ill be in touch.

Thread Information