DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: C.O.O.L. Beasts

C.O.O.L. Beasts

This post is to propose a new Collaborative Project.

I am calling it C.O.O.L. Beasts.

Compiled Old-school Open-gaming-content List-of Beasts.

The design goals will be:

1) Collect any old-school style Beasts/NPC's that have been legally and properly designated as being "Open Gaming Content" under the terms of the OGL for use in an FG module.

2) This module will simultaneously support all old-school rulesets available on FG. The definition of "old-school" for purposes of this discussion would include original games such as AD&D and BX, clones of said games, such as S&W, OSRIC, LL and modern with old-school feel, such as DCC RPG and C&C.

In order to make number 2 happen, it will require some collaboration and coordination between our community devs to ensure that one xml module is capable of supporting the needs of each ruleset simultaneously; being willing to change variable names of npc fields in our respective rulesets in our purview, if necessary, in order to make this function properly, and possibly even changing some functionality in the ruleset in order to make it happen. Basically, we need to establish a standard format and play traffic cop with the data so that everyone gets a parking space.

The ultimate goals are: 1) to have one Bestiary Module that contains stats for all old-school community developed rulesets, thus making it easy for adventure module makers to easily support all old-school rulesets simultaneously and simply 2) allow DM's to have access to their Beasties within whichever old-school ruleset they decide to run this day, with the appropriate stats for that ruleset all set up properly for them and 3) above all else, ensure compliance with the previsions of the OGL that allows us to do this.

I have in my possession three Open Gaming Content Bestiaries to start with: Old School Adventures™ Accessory CC1 Creature Compendium, Basic Fantasy RPG Core Book and The Basic Fantasy Field Guide. Each of those three documents clearly state that all of the text in the books is designated as Open Gaming Content. The DCC RPG Core Book also states that large portions of it are OGC; I'm sure that applies to the Bestiary included in it.

In order to support this project, I also envision building an extension that will allow you to use an extended npc sheet with fields for the different rulesets all in one place so that the creature can be built once and exported to xml with all necessary data fields that each ruleset needs. Ideally, this extension will be built on the Savage Worlds Ruleset, so that it can be used in conjunction with the SW Enhanced Library Extension when building a module. We'll designate that "The Old-School Adventure Module Maker" Extension. If someone is experienced doing extensions and will like to take this up, please step forward. Otherwise, I'll try to dig into it.

I'm going to need help on this project. I am not going to enter several hundred npc's by myself. Divide and Conquer. Also, there is going to need to be quite a bit of coordination in order to set the stage for this to work. We need to ensure that data fields in our rulesets don't step on each other.

I need help specifically from our devs with old-school ruleset projects, but you don't need to be a developer to pitch into this project. Anyone can enter monster data into FG. We'll need lot's of help with that.
    Last edited by vodokar; February 1st, 2017 at 05:22.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

The Swords & Wizardry Monstrosities is OGL as is the Swords & Wizardry Monster Book.

OPEN GAME CONTENT:
    Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of the Open
    Game License Version 1.0a (OGL).
    This entire work is designated as Open Game Content under the OGL,
    with the exception of the trademarks “Swords & Wizardry,” “S&W,”
    “Frog God Games,” “FGG,” and “Mythmere Games,” and with the
    exception of all artwork. These trademarks, and the Trade Dress of this
    work (font, layout, style of artwork, etc.) are reserved as Product Identity.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Fantastic idea!!

DM-Kevin - Current campaign running: D&D 5.0 Tomb of Annihilation -

Goblinoid Games' Labyrinth Lord, AEC, & Original Edition Characters are Open Game Content

https://www.goblinoidgames.com/ogclibrary.html

The text file version are right bellow the WOTC OGL files on the page above. A coupe of other Gobiond game products are open game content also I believe too.

Plenty of material out there that is Open Gaming Content and can be included in our project.

But, let me reiterate, we are going to need help with this. We need volunteers to step up. The developers will handle the technical back end stuff, but we will need some help with basic data entry. Even with this help, it's likely to take awhile sifting thru this data, organizing everything and getting it entered.
    Last edited by vodokar; February 2nd, 2017 at 19:07.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Basic monster entry is something I can do.

Will you also at some point do something similar to Beast to cover treasure, spells (other powers)

Those are a distinct possibility, but out of the scope of this particular project; as you would expect from the name. C.O.O.L Treasures and C.O.O.L. Spells could be something down the line; assuming that C.O.O.L. Beasts actually gets achieved.

The bestiary is the highest priority, as it is the most common thing for DMs and Module Makers to have to do is fill in npc sheets; very time consuming, especially if you have to do it manually every time, and especially if you use more than one ruleset and have to redo the same monsters over again with different stats for each ruleset.

It is especially onerous on module makers if you are trying to support multiple rulesets, because currently, you have to recreate these creatures in each ruleset, export to xml and then splice in the code manually; and as things stand currently, because there hasn't been coordination in making a standard, ruleset data isn't compatible, so you can't make just one module that can support multiple rulesets.

We currently have 3 active old-school rulesets: AD&D, C&C and DCC RPG. Pretty soon it will be 5, when S&W and Damned Basic Dungeon come on-line. Later on, maybe more. So, I'm trying to be forward thinking and get the cats herded beforehand.
    Last edited by vodokar; February 2nd, 2017 at 20:24.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Blog Entries
    These are the fields I have currently in DbD.

<id-00018>
    <align type="string">Neutral</align>
    <attacks type="string">Tusk [D] 3d4,</attacks>
    <cas1_label type="string">Rolls</cas1_label>
    <clilist2>
    <id-00001>
    <clichatcommand type="string">/thac0 1d20x16</clichatcommand>
    <description type="formattedtext">
    <p></p>
    </description>
    <locked type="number">1</locked>
    <name type="string">Tusk [Attack]</name>
    <rollstype type="string">attack</rollstype>
    <shortcut type="windowreference">
    <class>cas</class>
    <recordname></recordname>
    </shortcut>
    </id-00001>
    </clilist2>
    <defence type="number">6</defence>
    <health type="number">23</health>
    <hitdice type="number">5</hitdice>
    <inlair type="string">2-5</inlair>
    <locked type="number">1</locked>
    <morale type="number">9</morale>
    <move type="number">40</move>
    <name type="string">Giant Boar</name>
    <notes type="formattedtext">
    <p>These massive boars are far more aggressive than normal boars and crave human flesh. They will attack without provocation.</p>
    </notes>
    <numattacks type="number">1</numattacks>
    <numenc type="string">1d4</numenc>
    <reach type="number">1</reach>
    <saveas type="string">F5</saveas>
    <space type="number">2</space>
    <token type="token">tokens/host/DbD/b.png</token>
    <treasure type="string">None</treasure>
    <xp type="number">200</xp>
    </id-00018>

Im pretty sure my critters will have a lot of different fields to yours...?

Yep, considering all the S&W monster blocks are very simple. Such as this:

Gnoll
    Hit Dice: 2
    Armor Class: 5 [14]
    Attacks: Bite (2d4) or weapon (1d10)
    Saving Throw: 16
    Special: None
    Move: 9
    Alignment: Chaos
    Challenge Level/XP: 2/30
    Gnolls are tall humanoids with hyena-like heads. They may be found
    both above ground and in subterranean caverns. They form into loosely
    organized clans, often ranging far from home in order to steal and kill
    with rapacious ferocity.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Already getting a start on Old School NPC Maker. Attachment 17834

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Thread Information