DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Lamentations of the Flame Princess & Crypts & Things Ruleset Interest?

Would there be any interest in me adapting the Swords & Wizardry Ruleset to support Lamentations of the Flame Princess or Crypts & Things? Any other S&W-inspired retroclones that would be of interest?
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Blog Entries
    The only issue is dilution of the S&W identity. With FGG allowing you to use a lot of the text and provide reference manuals, I would suggest that you keep the ruleset as pure S&W as you can and make it deeper and more functional.

You can always fork the ruleset and relabel it OSR and then support other close rules like LL and such. I think that there already is an older LL community ruleset (no idea if any good or still supported).
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Oh, I would definitely fork it. I'm not going to blur the lines between the two. When I say adapt the ruleset, I mean simply using the mechanics because they are so very similar. Any S&W information, reference, etc, will be removed completely. These will be entirely new rulesets.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Crypts and Things, possibly. Lamentations is a little too gross material for my preference.

One of the things I had thought of doing though is that new WWII adaptation of S&W. It looks interesting and is a genre we don't have much of. Could even be genre smashed to make something akin to Achtung Cthulu.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Yeah, LotFP, depending on what you choose to run, can be very much about adult content. I tend to avoid that and go with just "weird" instead. Yeah, the WWII adaption would be really interesting. I haven't picked up a copy of it yet but I'll have to look at it.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder

Just to say that if you support Crypts & Things Remastered, I'm more than interested

LL and the AEC for it. The old rule set had some modules that had most of the core basic rules done in including the monsters done. Goblinoid Games let a FG version be made of it and LL, AEC, and the Original Edition Characters products do have Word files you can download of all the text in them for free. It does open in the current version of Fantasy Grounds but has lots of problems as it was made for an older version of FG. Mutant Future, Starships & Spacemen, & Ape Victorious. The latter 2 handle AC sightly different. You have abase to hit number and AC gives a to hit penalty to it. So you have to subtract 9 from the LL or Mutant Future AC to get the to hit modifier of armor. Stats are titled differently for some in all the games and so are saving throws.

Dan Proctor at Goblinoid Games could give you more info on what you can use and can't so I recommend you send him an email.

White Star and Operation White Box (the WWII one) are two others that come to mind. I haven't looked at Operation White box.

I didn't care that much for Lamination's. Most of what was in the modules I read just seemed to be juvenile shock and sex content and I wasn't impressed with them.

Great feedback, thank you! I'm going to post a list with all the flavors of OSR that have been mentioned so far. And I agree with your assessment of 95% of the LotFP modules - there are one or two exceptions that are actually very well done and I'm more speaking to the mechanics. But as I said, the point is valid and I don't think it would be very popular in the long run.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder

Thread Information