STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Could an extention like this be built? (Coin weight)

I want my players to be mindful of how much they're carrying, a previous campaign had players with hundreds of feet of rope, dozens of torches, 20 or more flasks of oil, pike awls.

So my question is could someone write an extension that would add up the total number of coins carried by a player, multiply this by the weight of a coin and then add this weight as an item in their inventory?

In an extension, you could do that by updating the encumbrance calculation function, and adding triggers for changes to number of coins carried.

I remember another user just added a coin object to the PC inventory with the correct weight, and it worked without using any extensions.

Regards,
    JPG

That might have been me, we already do something like that. I have an object in inventory called "Coin Weight" and it weights 0.02 (50 coins to the pound). So what they then do is add up the number of coins carried and update the number of "Coin Weight" they're carrying. It works, I was just looking for a way to automate it.

To clarify - do you want some guidance on doing the extension yourself? Or are you asking for someone to do the extension for you?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I'd give it a shot, but my programming skills are probably not good enough. I guess what I doing is trying to put the idea into the head of a more talented programmer to tackle. (Is this the wrong thread for requests?)

Edit: I'll give it a shot, any advice on where to start?

'Nother Edit: Nope, I had a quick read through of the Creating an Extension tutorial and it's beyond my skill set, full disclosure the last time I did any large scale programing Fortran was all the rage. Should I post this as a request to the wish list?
    Last edited by BubbaGrim; January 19th, 2017 at 00:17. Reason: I'll give it a shot.

Bubba, we use a coin weight system in a game I play in using the method Moon suggests. this works well and is simple to apply in game without an extension.

I suggest giving it a try first.

Nulk
    Currently Running: Eberron
    Recently Complete: Lost Mines of Phandelver / Green Ronins Freeport Trilogy / Tomb of Horrors
    Currently playing: nothing at the moment.
    Timezone: Australian Sydney Time - what ever the hell that is at the moment

Without needing to do any coding, this is a method I have used in the past. Simply make an item in your inventory list called coin. Give that item the weight per coin that you want it to weigh. Set the number to be the total number of coins carried. Your good.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

@vodokar we're currently doing something like that. I'm looking for a way to do it without creating an object called "gold coin" or anything like that. When loot is split coins are divided between party members, the software updates the coins carried but not the weight of the coins.
    Last edited by BubbaGrim; January 19th, 2017 at 01:42. Reason: clarity

Blog Entries
    See this thread for the discussions mentioned above; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...and-equipement

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Thread Information