STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Upstate NY (and not Westchester, I mean dead in the middle)
    I actually generally like the appearance of the Wizards theme, but the dragon heads started to drive me insane, hence the extension I made to remove the heads. Once I went down that rabbit hole, I started to modify all of the parts that I thought either overlapped or created some weird placement issue in my OCD mind. Themes are an incredibly volatile thing as I've found. I made two that in my view as simpler to work with, however there is certainly a big difference between what people are used to, and what actually works objectively easier. I don't see any way currently to make those two things work for everyone. What I thought worked better is what I've made (within my abilities). For others, this may be totally wrong and backwards. I can say however that I'm up approaching 250 downloads between the two themes, so there is definitely interest out there... though downloads do not equal day to day usage. Either way, theme development is something I would love to see more of from other users, more themes = more choice. I made the two that I made because there wasn't anything else out there, if there was, I probably wouldn't have made them. I'd also be interested to see the trend line in the design from multiple developers.

All I know is whenever I see a screenshot of the current leather UI, my first gut reaction (right or wrong) is that it looks "old"... and I know I've seen similar comments from other users. I know there's no accounting for taste, so don't take my comment as offensive, it's not meant that way, just an observation. (I also don't claim that my themes are any "better", they just work better for me personally, if someone else can use them too, then that's wonderful!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    The Dragon Heads may be a problem more if you are hurting from screen room such as when working on a laptop or some such. Until someone wrote an extension to remove them I didn't really notice them. So, as damned says is horses for courses and you can really please everyone all of the time.
    Yup, I actually like the dragon head (although, neither I nor my friend recognized it as such from the start, prob because we both had 21" monitors. I now use a 27")

I also like th "flair" on the windows. I switched to the Wizards there from the Leather one because found th colors nice and liked th windows and buttons. I really lik d the leather "tabletop" though -that's why I asked.

I'll grab the extension/theme that removes the sticking out parts once home and can scan/download. Thanks!

(ps Didn't know DM's theme selected what players saw? Hmm seems odd since themes are all about taste as been pointed out here many times. Seems like taste of one determines what other 4-6 folks look at all night? maybe that can be looked at to decouple in some future day.)

Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    (ps Didn't know DM's theme selected what players saw? Hmm seems odd since themes are all about taste as been pointed out here many times. Seems like taste of one determines what other 4-6 folks look at all night? maybe that can be looked at to decouple in some future day.)
    I think the idea is for the theme to match the game being run and so the GM should be in control of the atmosphere (graphics, lighting, maybe even music but I draw the line there). I played in a Carrion Crown game where the GM had a Carrion Crown theme. It was very nice and not something I would have thought to bring to the game myself.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

I agree that it can be a plus. I wasn't thinking "game specific" themes or customization. I was thinking Wizards v Leather v NoDragons v GAP etc. For non-value-add to DM themes, I feel players should be able to choose.

But what defines a "value-add" is likely to be subjective. Which is why I'd prefer an option to accept a theme or not. But this is nothing I'd get all up in arms about. It seems th few gams i e played in 5e all used one or the other of the 2 standard themes (diff decals) and the SW ones used what seemed standard themes but my memory isn't perfect.
    Either way, it's an "as-you-go" enhancement if any of the devs even agree with the idea vs a "should do" - it's been this way all along, so I'm guessing few, if any, have this objection.

Quote Originally Posted by TMO View Post
    The problem usually occurs when you have to drill into library content to find the link with the information you want. This often leads to having several windows displayed within the same general space. Now if I want to go back to a window I already opened, I have to minimize or move my topmost windows out of the way instead of nicely clicking on the border of a window I can plainly see.
    FWIW, I just ran into another scenario where this created an accessibility problem. Every one of my small buttons looks accessible but really isn't:

This isn't a normal layout for me, but I had done this as a temporary measure while I was negotiating other windows.

I usually push my CT up to the top of the screen where the dragon is over the edge and not visible. But yeah, transparency is not transparent to the mouse in FG. Boo.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I usually push my CT up to the top of the screen where the dragon is over the edge and not visible. But yeah, transparency is not transparent to the mouse in FG. Boo.
    As I noted, this is not my normal layout. I just happened to stumble upon this and it underscored the problem (as I see it) with the large dragon mastheads in some of the windows.

Thread Information