STAR TREK 2d20
Page 11 of 18 First ... 910111213 ... Last

Thread: AD&D Ruleset

Welcome doctoratlantis. Love that name. Makes me imagine all sorts of cool stories.

Sure hope you enjoy the ruleset. If you see anything that isn't quite working right or have ideas for new features, post it in this thread. I am actively maintaining and striving to continuously improve things.

Currently the ruleset is only for Gygax version of AD&D. Will likely be adding support for Unearthed Arcana in the coming weeks and possibly Oriental Adventures sometime thereafter.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

I spent my weekend of FG-CON 10 running a couple of very classic TSR modules, Dwellers of the Forbidden City and Steading of the Hill Giant Chief. Here are some of the lessons I learned from that experience.

First, a great time was had in both modules. While I have been actively using my ruleset as a player a lot since I released it, this was the first experiences I had dming with it. For the most part, I was very pleased with the experience. Things ran smoothly. There were not any critical break downs. There is one very elusive script error that I haven't been able to track down regarding trying to target via combat tracker apparently, but certainly nothing that wasn't able to be worked easily around. The automation that I have built in works pretty well in streamlining the game.

I did identify a couple of areas that I really need to work on, however.

1) I need to find some way of allowing spell damage to be entered in as damage, so that this can be classified as damage in the same ways that weapon damage is. There is still a lot of manual work for the DM to perform in this area when the fireballs and other area of effect spells start coming out. In a high density combat module like Against the Giants, this really showed. I'll see what I can come up with. Some study of how 4e and 5e handle this might give some insight into the matter.

2) I haven't built a way for the npc's to record saving throw numbers or be able to roll them. This is also an area that I'll need to research and try to make better.

This is still a fairly young ruleset, having only been out since January, and I still have quite a bit to learn. I look forward to the coming year, though, and hoping to continue to make things better.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Yes. I got Spell Damage tackled. Check this out. Attachment 18507

This will be a great improvement, I think. Now the spell damage is treated just like weapon damage and can be rolled from the character sheet and applied automatically to target or dragged and dropped onto target from character sheet or chat window (likely the preferred mode in the case of spells that allow saving throws like fireball).

It turned out to be very simple to do. Wish I had thought of it earlier.

Whomever that is in charge of the base C&C ruleset should really consider adding this also; it would be a great improvement there also.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Quote Originally Posted by vodokar View Post
    Whomever that is in charge of the base C&C ruleset should really consider adding this also; it would be a great improvement there also.
    I just add spell damage to the combat tab in the C&C ruleset; this way it shows up on the combat mini-sheet as well (when I'm a player, I rarely have my full char sheet up on the screen, I just use the mini-sheets). I put heals on the combat tab as well for healers... And I create potions that heal or do damage as weapons, so they automatically show up there.

That is a good work around, Andraax. I had actually thought of that. However, I felt it would be kind of a cop-out if, I, as the developer of this ruleset, just said to do that rather than actually trying to find a solution to the issue.

As I said, this came out of my experiences as DM when running a very high density combat between giants and a high level group with tons of magic, so this really emphasized the need for some sort of way to improve things in this area.

I may have overstated what it does though, in my excitement. I hadn't fully tested it yet. It does roll the damage to the chat and can be dragged from there as damage onto a target properly. It can also be halfed in the chat first, like you would expect for damage. If it does that and only that, it's still a great improvement.

I'm still actually testing other aspects of it. It currently doesn't seem to actually acknowledge targeting. Seeing if there is a way I can fix that. Or even possibly develop a separate script that it would call that might trigger npc saving throws and adjust the damage automatically; but that may just be wishful thinking.

*** time warp ***

Ok. So, drag and drop from the character sheet onto combat tracker or map token also applies damage properly. Only thing that doesn't work is doubleclick against a target. Looking for solution.
    Last edited by vodokar; April 11th, 2017 at 05:13.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vodokar View Post
    It turned out to be very simple to do. Wish I had thought of it earlier.

Contact Moon Wizard and show him what you did, he very well might use it in C&C. Far as I know, there is no dedicated developer at the moment, MW just keeps it in maintenance mode if a CoreRPG update breaks something.

That's what I figured. It only took me about an hour, with my limited knowledge, to figure out how to do it. I'm sure he could look at what I did and have it done in 5 min; and likely improve upon it, at that.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    I just add spell damage to the combat tab in the C&C ruleset; this way it shows up on the combat mini-sheet as well (when I'm a player, I rarely have my full char sheet up on the screen, I just use the mini-sheets). I put heals on the combat tab as well for healers... And I create potions that heal or do damage as weapons, so they automatically show up there.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Attachment 18508

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Version 1.3.4 is now available here

Version 1.3.4
    [New Feature] Damage Field added to Spells on Spells Tab and Spells Minisheet.
    This feature now allows:
    a) double click rolling of spell damage to the chat window, from which it can be dragged and dropped onto token or combat tracker
    b) drag dice directly from Spell on Spells Tab or Spells Minisheet and drop onto token or combat tracker

Method a is preferred for damage spells which allow saving throws, because the chat window allows you to right click and half the damage. So, determine which targets fail. Drag full damage onto them. Then, half the damage and drag onto the lucky b***ds.

Method b is quicker method for those damage spells which don't get saving throws, such as magic missile.

Regarding saving throws for npcs. Still trying to determine if it is feasible to do something for that. The engine is too complex for me to be able to get them to trigger automatically. But, I might be able to figure out a way to place rollable saving throw fields attached to the npc sheets and/or combat tracker, similar to how pc's roll their saving throws. Ideally this would auto-magically fill in the correct numbers and auto-magically tell you success or failure. Ideally. Still working out a strategy for that.
    Last edited by vodokar; April 12th, 2017 at 05:37.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Thread Information