DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Map Making Software Options

I am looking to get a good map making software.

I am not the most artistic person in the world (actually pretty bad), so I am am looking for something that makes it easier to pieces items together.

I am looking at CC3+ but I have also looked at Virtual Battlemap. I have read different reviews on CC3+ where it is not the simplest thing to use.

Has anyone used Vitrual Battlemap? Does it work well? Is it easy to utilize? Are there a lot of options to easily make maps?

Thoughts, reviews, opinions?

If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks. That thread helps a lot.

Wish someone that has been using Virtual Battlemap had some comments on it. Since it only came out a few months ago, it isn't in that thread.

I am leaning more and more towards CC3+ as that seems to be the tool of choice for someone that doesn't do everything from the ground up themselves (which I doubt I would do well with unless I can convince my daughter to do them for me - she is the artist of the family).

I took the dive and bought CC3+ bundle with DD3 and CD3 in it. Also bought the 2 Fantasy symbol sets, Fantasy Overland and Fantasy Floorplans.

There just seems to be a lot more out there for CC3+ than for Virtual Battlemap.

Now to dive in and get some map making going (this is after all the installs finish, seeing as they are rather slow doing the install).

You will not regret it, Klandare. Profantasy is a great outfit just like SW, and their stuff is awesome.

@Klandare - I'm sure you won't regret it. Just take the time to learn CC3(+). Just like Fantasy Grounds, there is a learning curve, but it is well worth taking the time to sit down and step through some tutorials (video and the supplied PDFs). There is some good discussion and example maps in the thread Zacchaeus links above - from about page 7 onwards.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

One thing to consider is what types of maps do you want to make and for what game system. Some companies use certain mapping software and have may the files available so you can edit them if you have the same mapping program.

I'm not familiar with Virtual Battle Map. In addition to CC3/CC3+ I also recommend you check out Inkwell Ideas map programs, Fractal Mapper 8, & Dundjinni (I might have spell this one wrong.). They all have demos as I recall . I have CC2/CC3/CC3+. FM8, Dundjinni, the Inkwell Ideas programs, and some free mapping programs, so I can answer any questions if you need to.

Dundjinni in itself is Defunct. Miracle if you can get a Legal Working Copy. It was my favorite Battle Map program. Beware it does not "simply" work on Windows 8 or above unless your good at computer work arounds. Fans are trying to revive it with a new version Dundjinni 2.0. If the forums work you can still find Artwork supported, even Maps. Several of the Posters are also regulars on Cartographer's Guild.

Artwork for Dundjinni works in CC3/CC3+ all they need to be is PNG with a transparent background..

I will say I have looked at VirtualMapper..I believe they will soon be setting the Bar for Maps. Since they do 3D Maps and also with the Program you can do "shimmering" effects live. They are new so their Art sets are few. Right now I just can't justify buying another Mapper, since I hardly play anymore and I ain't had many sales or commissions.

The Dundjinni forums have gone down before and popped up again. The same with the store. You still could buy a legal copy not that long ago.

A official 2.0 version of Dundjinni was actually in the works at one point, before Dundjinni development stopped. I'm not sure what was done on it.

One thing about map programs that I mentioned I think briefly in another thread is that you can run into some issues with map symbols in other programs. The drop shadows are on png symbols in one and no drop shadows are on the pngs on others is a common thing to watch for. CC3/FM8 add drop shadows so symbols don't need them, while Dundjinni and DungeonographerPro don't, so those map symbols have them. The drop shadows make a difference of you look closely at the light sources and shadows on things. Plus some have some scale differences in regards to symbols sometimes. These are usually minor things, but if your wanting everything to look perfect you need to be aware of the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_NOLA View Post

A official 2.0 version of Dundjinni was actually in the works at one point, before Dundjinni development stopped. I'm not sure what was done on it.
    The rights to Dundjinni were purchased from Cindy, who has virtually disappeared, in 2016. She No longer communicates with anyone at all. Work was being planned on Dundjinni 2.0 with a few Core Fans involved. Sadly personal issues in real life cause a work stoppage, but word is that Work may resume in 2017.

The Forum rights however still belong to Cindy and no one can address the issues they are still having nor migrate them to a better host. Like you said Sometimes they are up, sometimes they Ain't. Eventually forums will be closed for ever since someone has to pay to keep them open.

Most of the Hardcore Fans have their own Deviantart pages now and like I said some are on the Cartographer's Guild, like Bogie. Bogie has been posting free art over there. And Now a New Generation of Artist have started sharing art over there in the Map Resource Forum.
    AKA The Wayward Traveler Original Battle Maps and Classic Recreations Avaialble on DriverThruRPGhttps://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...-Paul-Stoddard Maps also Available at
    https://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com/

Thread Information