5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2e View Post
    So here's what doesn't make sense... The SRD material is widely available on many websites in many different text formats as well as on WotC's website. This 5E material is, of course, missing many spells, missing all but one background, missing all but one feat, missing many monsters, missing ALL the artwork, etc., etc., etc. It is incomplete as opposed to the full PHB, DMG, MM, etc. The DMs Guild allows publication of information that contains both OGL material and 5E material EXCEPT for artwork and is limited to the Ravenloft and/or Forgotten Realms settings. It is, of course, crazy to think you can duplicate the PHB or DMG or MM and then upload it to the DMS Guild. But it is NOT seemingly crazy (to me) to create SRD/OGL (widely, freely available) material and repackage it for available Fantasy Grounds modules that are not available. A good example is the Curse of Strahd "Haunted One" background which Smiteworks chose not to make automated (drag and drop background) within the published adventure module. This, I would think, would be a perfect example of what someone could make and then upload to the DMs Guild. In my mind, that is the quitisential example of what is proper to do. Bearing that in mind, it follows that any of the classes (12), backgrounds (1), feats (1), monsters (x number who knows), spells (x number who knows) that are specifically contained in the SRD/OGL would also be eligable. Why would anyone want these modules when it's all included in the three FREE SRD modules that come with FG? The answer is because then you have opportinuty to create the files to add the UA material so that when players come to your table you can say nice things like, "Hey the new so and so archetype is available to use." Just like Nickademus' Ranger is now. Given my understanding of the DMs Guild terms of publication, usage rights, the SRD/OGL material, etc., where have I gone wrong here? I really am looking to understand, so I can be as helpful to the community as possible, and at the same time, offer any of my players, the most current (UA) gaming experience.
    Why would you be allowed to release stuff that is only available in a current for purchase product like Curse of Strahd or the PHB?

You can rework *old* out of print products but they must be re-imaginings of these old products.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    IWhen I checked I received the same answer as tsemana - converting WoTC 5e materials for Fantasy Grounds is reserved for Smiteworks.
    Was this after Smiteworks, WotC, and OneBookShelf came to the agreement to allow normal people to offer FG content on the DMsG? Also, I don't have the quote handy, but this is based on the statement that Smiteworks made saying the UA articles were unofficial and not part of the D&D license. Therefore OneBookShelf is misinformed if they tell you that only Smiteworks can reproduce these articles.
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Why would you be allowed to release stuff that is only available in a current for purchase product like Curse of Strahd or the PHB?

You can rework *old* out of print products but they must be re-imaginings of these old products.
    I think the point is that the assets he is referring to are missing from the purchase product. The background from Curse of Strahd is not (according to him; I haven't looked) in the FG Store product and thus there would be no offering of pay-material for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    In order to make the new UA options for the classes (Ranger has been the only complete rewrite so far), you need to make the SRD one and then layer on the UA additions. That way you get the full class except the new archetypes and that is fine as you can either choose one of the new UA ones or the original ones.
    This is essentially what I am doing. At the beginning of the class entries that host the new specialties, I have the following disclaimer.

Attachment 16849
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    Was this after Smiteworks, WotC, and OneBookShelf came to the agreement to allow normal people to offer FG content on the DMsG? Also, I don't have the quote handy, but this is based on the statement that Smiteworks made saying the UA articles were unofficial and not part of the D&D license. Therefore OneBookShelf is misinformed if they tell you that only Smiteworks can reproduce these articles.

<snip>

This is essentially what I am doing. At the beginning of the class entries that host the new specialties, I have the following disclaimer.
    I can't speak for @Myrdin Potter, but my inquiry was as of Dec 5th (a few days ago). So if the information from OBS is incorrect it's very currently incorrect.
    That's interesting, I hadn't seen anything from SmiteWorks about UA stuff.

That actually makes it a grey-er area still, since it's not OGL material, and SmiteWorks says it has no license on it and it's not official 5E, but still it's copyright WotC. That sounds like it makes it a straight copyright question. I'm no IP lawyer so that's beyond me.

Just want to say though, Nickademus, I really like the level of attributions you're putting into it. To me at least, you're making it clear that you're trying to give all credit where it's due and trying to be above-board on this. Well done!

Rob2e. As I said in another thread the background material is available in Curse of Strahd - just not in a drag/drop format.

The module was created in FG and then exported. Reference material, such as backgrounds, cannot be exported in this way.

The reason that this can't be done as a stand alone module and uploaded to DMsGuild or anywhere else is that it is copyright material not part of the OGL.

I'll see if it can be done as an add on to the COS module.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by tsemana View Post
    Just want to say though, Nickademus, I really like the level of attributions you're putting into it. To me at least, you're making it clear that you're trying to give all credit where it's due and trying to be above-board on this. Well done!
    Thank you. I figured anything that was going to have both Wotc's and Smitework's name on it should be top quality and have all the t's crossed and i's dotted.

Quote Originally Posted by tsemana View Post
    That actually makes it a grey-er area still, since it's not OGL material, and SmiteWorks says it has no license on it and it's not official 5E, but still it's copyright WotC. That sounds like it makes it a straight copyright question. I'm no IP lawyer so that's beyond me.
    This is the way I see it. The UA articles are outside the SW license and the DMsG allows the use of WotC copyright material. Since I'm offering a new twist to the material (FG 5e automation), it should be viable for distribution on (and only on) the DMsG. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will let me know. But then, hey, Smiteworks should have the rights to produce it then and I can just hand them my module. Either way, the UA module should be available for you guys to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Rob2e. As I said in another thread the background material is available in Curse of Strahd - just not in a drag/drop format.

The module was created in FG and then exported. Reference material, such as backgrounds, cannot be exported in this way.

The reason that this can't be done as a stand alone module and uploaded to DMsGuild or anywhere else is that it is copyright material not part of the OGL.

I think this would be good. Perhaps it's my CDO but I like the idea of all the 5e resources operating under the drag-n-drop functionality. Let me know if you don't plan on using PAR5E to do it and need any help with the xml.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I think this would be good. Perhaps it's my CDO but I like the idea of all the 5e resources operating under the drag-n-drop functionality. Let me know if you don't plan on using PAR5E to do it and need any help with the xml.
    It would have to be done as a separate module to the adventure so that the DM could share with the players, without compromising the content of the adventure itself. Creating the module for a single background is trivial but it's whether it can then be incorporated into the update process for COS is what I need to find out. I suspect it wasn't done originally because even if the adventure did have a reference section the DM could still not have shared it with the players for the purpose of using it for character creation.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries

That's great Zacchaeus if you can look into that. I was merely using that as (a perhaps very bad) example. Also note the Monster Hunter's Pack item would be a great addition as well.

My whole point in talking about all this is that I would really like to see the basic classes (of the SRD/OGL) be available in an editable format. It's the only thing in Fantasy Grounds at this point in time that isn't an exportable feature that's of any use. You can't export feats or backgrounds either, but there are only one of each of those available in the SRD/OGL arena anyway. I just really want to see the BASIC classes shared so that we can all individually open up the files and insert the UA info so it can be made available to our players, rahter than having to suffer the slings and arrows of par5e!
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

It would have to be done as a separate module to the adventure so that the DM could share with the players, without compromising the content of the adventure itself. Creating the module for a single background is trivial but it's whether it can then be incorporated into the update process for COS is what I need to find out. I suspect it wasn't done originally because even if the adventure did have a reference section the DM could still not have shared it with the players for the purpose of using it for character creation.
    It would depend on if the FG Store is forced to transfer only one file at the time of sale. I know the DMsG is designed to give access to multiple files upon purchase. I would think that the FG Store could as well and SW just isn't using it for this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rob2e View Post
    That's great Zacchaeus if you can look into that. I was merely using that as (a perhaps very bad) example. Also note the Monster Hunter's Pack item would be a great addition as well.

My whole point in talking about all this is that I would really like to see the basic classes (of the SRD/OGL) be available in an editable format. It's the only thing in Fantasy Grounds at this point in time that isn't an exportable feature that's of any use. You can't export feats or backgrounds either, but there are only one of each of those available in the SRD/OGL arena anyway. I just really want to see the BASIC classes shared so that we can all individually open up the files and insert the UA info so it can be made available to our players, rahter than having to suffer the slings and arrows of par5e!
    Well, if everything goes well, it would seem that WotC is currently making UA articles for every base class. So you will end up having the xml code for the SRD content of the classes (with the UA specialties in them).

Blog Entries
    I asked recently and well after Smiteworks reached an agreement with OBS.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Thread Information