DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... Last

Swords & Wizardry Ruleset Progress (01.01.17)

*Note: I received permission from Matt Finch (creator of Swords & Wizardry) and Bill Webb of Frog God Games to create a Swords & Wizardry FG implementation. They graciously gave me permission to use either of the variants (Complete & Core) in creation of the rules/modules. The only exception is the use of any art contained within the books.

I'll be updating this when I make significant progress on the Swords & Wizardry ruleset and reference manuals.
    *I had intended to start on this much sooner but work and grad school got in the way. Hopefully I can make good progress before the next semester starts in January.

Last Update:

Current Status:
    In Progress

ETA:
    Targeting the release to coincide with the 3rd Printing of the Swords & Wizardry Complete Rules - 1Q 2017

Progress:
    Swords & Wizardry Ruleset
    -Character Sheet Modification/Added Functionality - 50% (see note for why the progress decreased).
    *Note: I'm reworking the layout of the character sheet. I wasn't entirely happy with how it was laid out when I finished with it. I'm also refactoring some of the functionality for the ruleset that I had added so that it is more readable and optimized. As I've gotten more comfortable with Lua I've started to figure out better ways to approach what I was trying to do. I'm also reskinning the sheet so it isn't the same goldish color of the CoreRPG and 3.5E sheet.

Swords & Wizardry Party Sheet - 20%
    Swords & Wizardry Combat Tracker - 20%

Requires Rework:
    Swords & Wizardry Complete Spells

To Be Done (priority order):
    Swords & Wizardry Complete Referee's Reference (reference format)
    Swords & Wizardry Complete Monsters

Complete:
    Swords & Wizardry Complete Player's Reference (will be reworked to reference manual format)
    Swords & Wizardry Complete Equipment
    Swords & Wizardry Modules/Libraries loaded/fully functional

Decisions Made
    Initiative RAW
    Ascending and Descending AC (Both)

Decisions To Be Made
    Initiative - RAW or Simplified
    Multiclassing
    Ascending or Descending AC
    Fighter Parry - RAW, RAI or true 0e

Fighter Parry
    RAW:
    Parry: Fighters with a Dexterity score of 14 or better can fight on the defensive, parrying enemy blows and dodging attacks (up to a -5 on attacks at 18 dexterity).

RAI:
    Parry: Fighters sacrifice their attack round to parry enemy attacks.

0e:
    Fighters with a dexterity of greater than 14 can use their unusual manual dexterity to attempt to dodge or parry opponents' attacks. For every point over 14 they are able to reduce their opponents' chances of hitting them by 1 (5%). Attack rolls against Fighters with 15+ dex are adjusted automatically, so a Fighter with 16 dexterity being attacked would automatically impart a penalty on the attacker of -2 to hit because of the high dex.

File 13
    Initiative RAW
    Initiative and Order of Battle
    When the party of adventurers comes into contact with enemies, the
    order of events is as follows:
    1. Check for Surprise: The Referee determines if a surprise roll is required, and if so, both sides roll to see if they are surprised by the sudden encounter. See below for details of the surprise roll.
    2. Declare Spells: This is not an option for a group that was surprised; they have to wait until the beginning of the next round. See below for details of declaring spells.
    3. Determine Initiative: Each side rolls a d6 and the side with the highest result is the winner. One roll is made for each side, not for each individual. If this is the first round and one group was surprised, the other side gets to go first automatically, without having to roll a die.
    4. Movement and Missile Fire: Each combatant on the side that won initiative may move, or may fire any missile weapons. Then the losers of the initiative roll may move or fire missile weapons.
    5. Melee Combat and Spells: Each combatant on the side that won initiative makes any melee attacks (if in melee range), or casts spells. Spells take effect immediately. Spells cannot be cast if the caster is in melee combat with enemies. Losers of the initiative then make their attacks and cast spells.
    6. The round is complete. Go back to step 2 (Declare Spells) and repeat the process until the combat is finished.

Ascending and Descending AC
    Using the Descending (regular) System: If you are using the regular descending Armor Class system, an unarmored character has an Armor Class of 9. Every type of armor has an “Effect on AC.” Ignore the bracketed numbers and use the “Effect on AC” to reduce the base Armor Class of 9. The lower the result, the better; powerful characters may have an AC reaching into the negative numbers.
    Using the Ascending (alternate) System: If you are using the alternate ascending Armor Class system, an unarmored character has an Armor Class of 10. (That is not 9, as in the regular system, but TEN.) Actually, it is [10], because we use brackets to identify that system. Now the “Effect on AC” numbers are the ones in [brackets] and wearing armor will cause AC to go up rather than down, the higher the better.

e.g.
    Armor Type Effect on AC
    Chain Mail -4 [+4]

Changelog
    12.29.16 - update on character sheet progress, additional prioritized work listed, decisions needed added
    12.30.16 - added Fighter Parry to decisions needed list
    01.01.17 - added character sheet screenshot, updated progress %
    01.11.17 - updated progress and decision log
    Last edited by Zhern; January 12th, 2017 at 04:14. Reason: Updated Status
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

I look forward to seeing the progress of this.

Aggressive schedule! Best of luck. Shout if you have any questions, need some assistance.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks, Trenloe. I need to try and get as much done as I can before my last semester starts in January otherwise I probably won't be able to push this to users until summer.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Quote Originally Posted by Zhern View Post
    Thanks, Trenloe. I need to try and get as much done as I can before my last semester starts in January otherwise I probably won't be able to push this to users until summer.
    Ouch!

Are you starting from scratch (layered on top of CoreRPG) or taking the approach vodokar did for AD&D (layering it on top of Castles & Crusades)?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Sounds awesome. I'll try to help if you have any questions. I'm sure there will be some similar situations you will encounter. I've had just a bit of experience picking apart the C&C code at this point. Highly recommend starting from C&C for this project, even if it isn't layered.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vodokar View Post
    Sounds awesome. I'll try to help if you have any questions. I'm sure there will be some similar situations you will encounter. I've had just a bit of experience picking apart the C&C code at this point. Highly recommend starting from C&C for this project, even if it isn't layered.
    If you start from C&C it has to be layered.
    Its a commercial ruleset sold separately.
    If you want to rework an existing ruleset you should probably start with 3.5e as leozelig did for DCC.

I cannot offer you any help but I do wish you the best of luck in this project. I look forward to learning S&W in the future so this will be awesome when I get around to it. Thank you and good luck in your next term too!

Happy gaming!

Kelly

I would suggest building on top of CoreRPG directly. You can copy one of the existing rulesets like 3.5E or something similar (which builds directly on CoreRPG) to get started, rename and reskin it, and just rip out all the bits you don't want. Then, it's just a matter of slowly customizing the sheets and logic to match your game system. Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    If you want to rework an existing ruleset you should probably start with 3.5e as leozelig did for DCC.
    Yes - I started with 3.5E, which is layered on CoreRPG, and have slowly deformed it into the twisted creature that is the DCCRPG ruleset.

I agree with Moon, layering on the CoreRPG ruleset is a good idea. Plus, that allows everyone to use it without paying extra for the C&C ruleset. Looking at the code, I would guess that the C&C ruleset evolved from an older version of 3.5E.

I am also able to help - especially with creating the reference files, which is very time consuming work but will not get any of us closer to playing S&W

This is true. I must say, I do find it a little odd that your starting with the manuals. We can play with a ruleset and add the manuals later, but not the other way around. But, it's your project.

That is a good point about not having to buy the C&C ruleset to play S&W, but it seems a reasonable assumption that most people interested in an old school ruleset likely already have the C&C ruleset or it wouldn't be a big deal to pick it up since it's very inexpensive, which is why I didn't worry much about using it to layer over for my ruleset. I haven't looked at the 3.5 code, but it just seems like C&C would be a little closer to where he wants to end up with the ruleset.
    Last edited by vodokar; December 7th, 2016 at 00:55.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Thread Information