STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by vodokar View Post
    I missed the kickstarter. Rub it in. Rub it in. You can make it up to me by judging a campaign next summer .
    Deal! I can definitely do that.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Blog Entries
    I answered the survey for MCC as well. I hope that they ship faster than the DCC Kickstarter.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

As stated above: DCC RPG is heavily influenced by Appendix N. So, what is Appendix N?

APPENDIX N: INSPIRATIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL READING

Inspiration for all the fantasy work I have done stems directly from the love my father showed when I was a tad, for he spent many hours telling me stories he made up as he went along, tales of cloaked old men who could grant wishes, of magic rings and enchanted swords, or wicked sorcerors [sic] and dauntless swordsmen.

Then too, countless hundreds of comic books went down, and the long-gone EC ones certainly had their effect. Science fiction, fantasy, and horror movies were a big influence. In fact, all of us tend to get ample helpings of fantasy when we are very young from fairy tales such as those written by the Brothers Grimm and Andrew Lang. This often leads to reading books of mythology, paging through bestiaries, and consultation of compilations of the myths of various lands and peoples.

Upon such a base I built my interest in fantasy, being an avid reader of all science fiction and fantasy literature since 1950.

The following authors were of particular inspiration to me. In some cases I cite specific works, in others, I simply recommend all of their fantasy writing to you. From such sources, as well as any other imaginative writing or screenplay, you will be able to pluck kernels from which will grow the fruits of exciting campaigns. Good reading!

Anderson, Poul: THREE HEARTS AND THREE LIONS; THE HIGH CRUSADE; THE BROKEN SWORD
    Bellairs, John: THE FACE IN THE FROST
    Brackett, Leigh
    Brown, Frederic
    Burroughs, Edgar Rice: "Pellucidar" series; Mars series; Venus series
    Carter, Lin: "World's End" series
    de Camp, L. Sprague: LEST DARKNESS FALL; THE FALLIBLE FIEND; et al
    de Camp & Pratt: "Harold Shea" series; THE CARNELIAN CUBE
    Derleth, August
    Dunsany, Lord
    Farmer, P. J.: "The World of the Tiers" series; et al
    Fox, Gardner: "Kothar" series; "Kyrik" series; et al
    Howard, R. E.: "Conan" series
    Lanier, Sterling: HIERO'S JOURNEY
    Leiber, Fritz: "Fafhrd & Gray Mouser" series; et al
    Lovecraft, H. P.
    Merritt, A.: CREEP, SHADOW, CREEP; MOON POOL; DWELLERS IN THE MIRAGE; et al
    Moor****, Michael: STORMBRINGER; STEALER OF SOULS; "Hawkmoon" series (esp. the first three books)
    Norton, Andre
    Offutt, Andrew J.: editor of SWORDS AGAINST DARKNESS III
    Pratt, Fletcher: BLUE STAR; et al
    Saberhagen, Fred: CHANGELING EARTH; et al
    St. Clair, Margaret: THE SHADOW PEOPLE; SIGN OF THE LABRYS
    Tolkien, J. R. R.: THE HOBBIT; "Ring trilogy"
    Vance, Jack: THE EYES OF THE OVERWORLD; THE DYING EARTH; et al
    Weinbaum, Stanley
    Wellman, Manley Wade
    Williamson, Jack
    Zelazny, Roger: JACK OF SHADOWS; "Amber" series; et al
    The most immediate influences upon AD&D were probably de Camp & Pratt, R. E. Howard, Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, H. P. Lovecraft, and A. Merritt; but all of the above authors, as well as many not listed, certainly helped to shape the form of the game. For this reason, and for the hours of reading enjoyment, I heartily recommend the works of these fine authors to you.
    - E. Gary Gygax, 1979, AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide, p. 224

If you really want to know what inspired our favorite hobby. Explore that reading list.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Speaking of DCC, does anyone know if SmiteWorks has had any discussions with Goodman Games? leozelig's DCC stuff is excellent and I'm appreciative of him putting it out (and would be a great basis for an official ruleset). It would be great if it had DCC funnels and adventures in the store to go with it (which I can put together myself for my group, but I figured I would ask).
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

My understanding is that Goodman Games has been contacted multiple times regarding their content for 5e, 4e, 3e and DCC RPG and they have never given any response. There are lots of materials for DCC RPG made by parties other than Goodman Games and perhaps requests to those people, most of whom are individual people, might be more fruitful.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Purple Sorcerer Games puts out fantastic DCC stuff.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder

Blog Entries
    I asked recently and told my question would be sent on to the powers that be. Maybe with a Pathfinder coming over more companies would get interested. I do know that Smiteworks will keep it quiet unless they were ready to launch it.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Let's hope!
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Yeah it does. I picked up the PDF not too long ago but haven't had a chance to read through it yet. All I can say is Murder Machine!
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder

Thread Information