STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

FG con 9 Feedback thread

Well, the 9th FG Con is over...

Damned, IanMWard, Mask_of_Winter and I are always looking for constructive feedback on how the convention went for you and any ideas you might have for future conventions.

If you'd like to give feedback, please do so in this thread or PM damned or me if you'd like to keep it private.

Onward to the next FG Con (the 10th), April 2017!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Had a great time and managed to still stay married despite 20+ game hours over the weekend. The DMs were great and my first online FG experience was awesome. I MUST follow it up by finding a regular game group!
    Greg

Blog Entries
    First, excellent job guys. Five Star performance.

Here's my experience as a GM running three games;
    - Process is pretty simple and straightforward. But, there are a couple of things that might be able to be simplified or enhanced;
    - - Game waitlists. Currently once the max number of players is accepted, no new registrations can be done. An automated waitlist would be great for both DM's and players.
    - - Registration/Application/Booking order. Right now, only the automated emails can tell a GM what the order of registered players is. It would be nice if the FGCon/Wordpress site had someway to tell us what order people signed up in. That way, if we do get two or three bookings for the last game slot, it's easier for us to know who to accept (and how to order the waitlist).
    - - Something like an "email all players" link. It's not too hard right now to go in and check the profile of each player and add their email to an email, but a link to do this (and maybe filter based upon accepted/pending/waitlisted) would be sweet.

I found the email reminders you sent out to be very helpful. I knew to do those things and usually had them done before your reminder. But the are great reminders for all of us and invaluable to a first time GM.

Once more, thank you. It's a great service you do for the gaming community and the FG one specifically.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Reading the Con review thread one more idea, how about a few of us put together a document AND a session on how to GM for FG Con? We could have a resource link and then also do a Twitch stream or a web conference format where we show how to GM on FG.

This would help people feel comfortable volunteering to run a game and also would probably help all of us increase our knowledge.

Thoughts and other willing to work with me on this?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Reading the Con review thread one more idea, how about a few of us put together a document AND a session on how to GM for FG Con? We could have a resource link and then also do a Twitch stream or a web conference format where we show how to GM on FG.

This would help people feel comfortable volunteering to run a game and also would probably help all of us increase our knowledge.

Thoughts and other willing to work with me on this?
    I think it would be particularly helpful for PFS and ALO games.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Thanks for the feedback - always welcome.
    - - Game waitlists. Currently once the max number of players is accepted, no new registrations can be done. An automated waitlist would be great for both DM's and players.
    We keep looking into this and we haven't found a good way to do it. We'll look again before the next con, but don't expect anything. Sorry.

- - Registration/Application/Booking order. Right now, only the automated emails can tell a GM what the order of registered players is. It would be nice if the FGCon/Wordpress site had someway to tell us what order people signed up in. That way, if we do get two or three bookings for the last game slot, it's easier for us to know who to accept (and how to order the waitlist)..
    This is available now - the bookings link that the notification email contains takes you to the bookings list for your events, there is a "Booking Date" column in the table that shows the date and time the booking was mode.

- - Something like an "email all players" link. It's not too hard right now to go in and check the profile of each player and add their email to an email, but a link to do this (and maybe filter based upon accepted/pending/waitlisted) would be sweet.
    This would be very hard to do - due to email security restrictions. You would want the email to come from your email address and we can't send emails from your own email address. Maybe we could do it from a "do not reply" FG Con email address, include the GM's email address, and hope that the players would read the email and not just click "Reply".

We'll certainly keep looking at ways to improve - especially around communication...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Guys, it's hard I think to improve on what you are doing now. The main problem I have is players not turning up or even bothering to tell me that they won't turn up or even apologising at a later date for not turning up but there's not a great deal that you can do about that sort of behaviour.

The whole Con went off extremely well except when I dropped in to have a chat with Trenloe on Teamspeak and he was obviously off doing something else instead of paying attention
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    The whole Con went off extremely well except when I dropped in to have a chat with Trenloe on Teamspeak and he was obviously off doing something else instead of paying attention
    Oh, sorry I missed you...

I had a great time! Thanks to everybody who made this happen!

The only real "complaints" I have have already been brought up... the lack of a wait list combined with people not showing up. There were a couple games I would have loved to get into that were booked up, but which I believe ended up down a player or two at game time (at least according to Teamspeak). However, I'm not sure what a workable solution for that problem would be.

Blog Entries
    I had players not show up, which was annoying, but also life. I enjoyed the two sessions I DMed.

I set more slots than what I had available and that gave me a built in wait list. So that ability is there.

For emails, all I would need is an automated list of the registered and approved emails that i could cut and paste into my email program. I had players swapping out and always worried I was not up-to-date if I replied all to an older email I sent.

Thread Information