DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Basic D&D levels might not correspond to 5e levels exactly. The conversion guide linked in post #2 says that older edition character levels (except 4e) are equivalent to 5e levels. I can believe that for 3.5e, but I would have guessed that a Basic D&D module for level 1-3 characters would translate to level 1-5 for 5e. I would probably allow the group to level quickly for the first couple levels, which might result in later encounters converting a little closer to the original versions. I never played B2, so I don't know if PCs were expected to level along the way.

Blog Entries
    With spell caster cantrips I think 5e 1st level characters are way tougher than 1e ones!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    With spell caster cantrips I think 5e 1st level characters are way tougher than 1e ones!
    True. Unfortunately, 5e orcs are tougher than Basic D&D orcs.

Consider looking at how others have converted it. For B2, Google "caves of chaos next playtest" to find the playtest version. On DMsGuild, search "Classic Modules Today".

Some fun (?) facts and figures for B2 Keep on the Borderlands. It says it will take 6 to 9 characters through level 3 play. Basic D&D "classes" were Cleric, Dwarf, Elf, Fighter, Halfling, Magic User, and Thief. Each class had different XP requirements to level. In addition, if you were lucky to have a high enough Prime Requisite score, you could earn bonus XP. This system is very difficult to "math".

If you assume that the players only had the Basic rules, then you had a level cap at 3 since you didn't have rules for going to higher levels. Assuming a party make up consisting of one of each class, the slowest leveler is the Elf, requiring 8000 XP. So to get all seven players to level three would require at least 8000 * 7 = 56,000 total XP. This is assuming all XP is divided evenly, no one dies or misses a game session, and no bonus due to ability score.

If you drop the Elf and have six players, then the next to slowest is the Magic User at 5000, or 5000 * 6 = 30,000 total XP. This is a big change. It would be interesting to add up what the maximum achievable XP in the module is (but I doubt my interest will last long enough to do it). In Basic, you earned XP from Monsters and Treasure.

If you do away with the level cap and go back to the 7 member party, an average party level of 3 is achieved with levels 3/3/2/3/3/3/4 (respective to the class list above) with total XP of 35,000. This party reaches the cusp of 4th level at XP total of 70,000 (4/4/3/4/4/3/5).

Blog Entries
    With 1 GP = 1XP a group of 6 certainly can make 3rd level in B2.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information