DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... Last

CreatureGen Extension: Import Stat-blocks on the fly with populated spells

This contribution has been removed by the author due to a disagreement with the change to the contributor license enacted by Smiteworks.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...s-contributors
    Last edited by Ken L; January 14th, 2019 at 00:20.

Very nice, you might want to make a note that Paizo has used several slightly different statblocks in their books. So copying from a PDF might cause issues.

I wonder how this works with PCGen statblock output.

Nice work again Ken. Well done.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

(For those unfamiliar with GitHub, just download the repository as a zip, extract the folder 'CreatureGen-master' , rename it 'CreatureGen', re-zip just that folder (not the outer), rename the .zip extension to a .ext, and put it in your extension folder)
    Is there a reason you're making everyone jump through this hoop rather than just doing it once yourself and attaching the .ext to post #1 like everyone else does? Seems like an unnecessary barrier to entry.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    Is there a reason you're making everyone jump through this hoop rather than just doing it once yourself and attaching the .ext to post #1 like everyone else does? Seems like an unnecessary barrier to entry.
    I'd rate it a step up from mindlessly downloading when there's a visible sign that anyone can actually contribute as opposed to railing on the baker to make better bread. This also saves me the dance of constantly updating the main post with a new file and deleting the old. The spell libraries are different as that's simply a database as opposed to a repository.
    Last edited by Ken L; September 25th, 2016 at 05:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Very nice, you might want to make a note that Paizo has used several slightly different statblocks in their books. So copying from a PDF might cause issues.

I wonder how this works with PCGen statblock output.
    If it conforms to the PRD layout, it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    I'd rate it a step up from mindlessly downloading when there's a visible sign that anyone can actually contribute as opposed to railing on the baker to make better bread. This also saves me the dance of constantly updating the main post with a new file and deleting the old. The spell libraries are different as that's simply a database as opposed to a repository.
    I suppose it all depends on your goal here. If your goal is to provide a valuable extension that all FG users can use quickly and easily, then I think you're missing the mark a bit here - in terms of end delivery/availability of the extension. Do you intend to post to this thread when there is a new version in GitHub? Or are we expected to occasionally go there, check for updates, download, rename, change .ZIP to .EXT?

Don't get me wrong, I think you've created an amazing tool here. But why go 95% of the way and not do the last 5% that makes it easy for all FG users (those technical *and* non-technical) to download and keep up-to-date?

We're not asking the baker to bake better bread - we're just asking the baker to put the most recently baked bread (fit for general public consumption) in a nice package in the shop window, rather than everyone having to find it in a storage closet in the back somewhere.
    Last edited by Trenloe; September 25th, 2016 at 16:35.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It's good enough, and not really a huge leap.

Self service salad bar vs getting it in a package. If that's the reason it's overlooked then I don't really care; I do this for fun, not recognition.

Fair enough.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information