5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Warning about Kickstarters Claiming to support Fantasy Grounds add-ons

We have started to see more and more Kickstarters get launched and many of these reference Fantasy Grounds as add-ons, reward levels or stretch goals. We are very hesitant to back any Kickstarters at this time due to time constraints and the extra complexity added by participating in a Kickstarter. Managing delivery and who gets what and how much everyone gets for payment is more complicated than just selling items through our store.

As a rule of thumb, if you see any Kickstarter listing Fantasy Grounds but you haven't seen an announcement from us, then it is not authorized to do so or to use our name or logo. If you are a creator and you would like to include a Fantasy Grounds option, please check with us first. You can reach us at [email protected] and put Kickstarter Support for Fantasy Grounds in the subject line. We try to be pretty supportive of third party content -- as evidenced by our selection in our store -- but everything needs to go through the proper channels.

There are several Kickstarters running currently that have never contacted us or worked out any details of providing support for Fantasy Grounds. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and reached out to both creators at this time.

Blog Entries
    I've spoken with both of the KS creators that I noticed and we are discussing details now.

If you are a creator looking to add FG support to a Kickstarter Project, please contact us first. If you are an end-user and you are pitching "Fantasy Grounds" as a good outlet, please make it clear that you are not authorized to represent Fantasy Grounds directly and that you are not an official member of SmiteWorks. It is okay to offer your services to help convert content, but converting the content is only part of the discussion.

Thanks for looking out for us.
    Fantasy Grounds Ultimate

Always appreciate the extra effort Doug

Blog Entries
    So, good news... both KS creators responded right away and I think they will be okay.

The Complete Roslof Keep Campaign
    by Scott Taylor
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...mpaign/updates

Hunters Mark: Long Live the Hunt! New 5E options!
    by Game Natural
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ns/description

Additionally, AAW Games has a KS for Wintery Gale that has some FG add-ons. They are okay as well. The first two were unknown by me until today.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

What about Ultimate Bestiary: Revenge of the Horde?

Blog Entries
    Speaking of these, when you guys get an agreement for a FG conversion, I think you should talk to the other group about the estimated delivery timeline they put forward on the option for backers to pledge on.

It does no good if the Kickstarter group makes it look like you're planning on delivering the FG version in month X and then it comes out in month X+3 or whatever. Especially important when/if the Kickstarter group makes their dealing on the digital/pdf copy to those who pledged. I guess I'm saying it is in your own interests to make sure you aren't having another company set an unrealistic target to meet on your behalf. Their mouths writing cheques your body has to fill and all that.
    Last edited by JohnD; September 5th, 2016 at 17:16. Reason: Damn autocorrect...
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Speaking of these, when you guys get an agreement for a FG conversion, I think you should talk to the other group about the estimated delivery timeline they put forward on the option for backers to pledge on.

It does no good if the Kickstarter group makes it look like you're planning on delivering the FG version in month X and then it comes out in month X+3 or whatever. Especially important when/if the Kickstarter group makes their dealing on the digital/pdf copy to those who pledged. I guess I'm saying it is in your own interests to make sure you aren't having another company set an unrealistic target to meet on your behalf. Their mouths writing cheques your body has to fill and all that.
    Absolutely. This is one of the reasons why we would rather not participate in any Kickstarter projects hosted by anyone at this time (or select few.) Depending on how the files get to us and how large it is, some of these take a very long time to convert. James has been working on the Ultimate NPCs Skulduggery Kickstarter for a very long time, as an example, and it took me a very long time to convert over the Tome of Beasts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    What about Ultimate Bestiary: Revenge of the Horde?
    Nord Games is okay. We need to check in with them to see when we can expect the files though. They gave us a heads up about it first.

Blog Entries
    You need more help to convert over materials. You are suffering from your own success of becoming the 1st licensed 5e VTT plus already having all the WoTC materials done. And DMS Guild. One day the light bulb will go off over the head of people that cover the industry and Smiteworks will get proper credit for not only cracking those markets open, but being successful enough that WoTC wants to expand the market.

:-)

Thread Information