DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How do you guys keep your campaign synced between different computers?

I create my campaign on my desktop which I then transfer to my laptop or the desktop at my friend's house. I'm currently using scp and usb sticks, neither of which are ideal. What do you guys do? What folders do you transfer as well? I'm tempted to mirror everything in the fantasy grounds app data directory, but my usb stick is painfully slow.

Blog Entries
    I used to sync between my desktop and laptop with a USB stick. But it was too annoying so now I just keep it all on my laptop and I've stopped trying to use both.

Don't know if their is a better way, sorry.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

USB is the best at the moment. Syncing software causes corrupting if you don't pause the syncing while using FG.

Campaign, modules, and tokens folders (maybe extensions if I'm developing one).
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

If you have suitable cloud storage, you can use that instead of a USB stick. As Nickademus says, don't set it up to auto-sync, as this can cause corruption - just copy the folders out and back as you need to.

All you need for the one campaign is to copy that one campaign from the Campaigns folder onto your USB and then copy that into the campaigns folder on wherever you are using it and then reverse the process. You might need some tokens as well depending on what you are doing.

EDIT: This assumes that both computers have the same modules if those are being used. If not then you'll need to copy those modules too.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

When I switch from laptop to desktop I only copy the "db.xml" of the campaing with usb stick or via my NAS.
    I only copy more files when I make changes in the ruleset.

This of course assumes that I copied everything once before.

Install Cygwin and use rsync - rsync only does minimal copying (it figures out what needs to be copied and only copies those pieces).

I start FG with a .bat file which runs FG itself and then proceeds to copy the entire datafolder (newer files only) over to my cloud-drive.
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Quote Originally Posted by feldrol View Post
    When I switch from laptop to desktop I only copy the "db.xml" of the campaing with usb stick or via my NAS.
    This is fine if all you've been doing is working in the database. But there are other files in the campaign directory that you may need to copy that cover: image masks and drawings, windows sizes and position, any edits made to module data, hotkeys, player tokens created from portraits, which extensions and modules are active for the campaign, any new images you've added, etc.. So, to be 100% sure you get all the campaign specific details and settings I'd recommend you copy the whole campaign directory. If you have a lot of images and you know you haven't added any new images then you can ignore the images directory, which is usually the one with the biggest files and so takes the longest to copy.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberoten View Post
    I start FG with a .bat file which runs FG itself and then proceeds to copy the entire datafolder (newer files only) over to my cloud-drive.
    That sounds like a neat solution. Would you mind showing us a copy of your .bat file please?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information