5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
    The big problem with this one is that the architecture of the NPC sheet is radically different from the PC sheet so even if the NPC could be added to the Party sheet XP wouldn't get awarded becasue there isn't anywhere to put it on an NPC sheet.

I have to agree with damned and Andraax here; it's pretty easy to create a PC in 5 minutes using drag/drop if it isn't a full blown PC. You don't need everything. Additionally you could just skip giving the NPC XP and just level them up when the players do.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I have a set of "standard packs" for equipment that I have setup (I give my players the option of choosing one of them for standard costs). Adding equipment to NPCs setup as PCs is as simple as choosing one of the standard packs and dragging and dropping it onto the character sheet's equipment tab. Actually with my setup, I could probably create 5 or 6 NPCs this way in 5 minutes (and that includes the time it takes to run a name generator to give them a name)...

The standard packs are great for one shots - the players pick a character template, pick a pack of equipment, I drop the pack onto the empty character sheet, *voila* custom character is ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    I have a set of "standard packs" for equipment that I have setup...
    That sounds like a great idea to fast-track creating PCs/NPCs as PCs... Thanks for the tip!

And yes it looks like I'll just have to manage without this functionality even with the forthcoming version... I'll live But hey, thanks for your responses all, even if it wasn't the answer I was hoping for!

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    Log in once between sessions with a name that no one else is using and take ownership of the character, so no one else can pick it up.
    If you're adding NPCs as PCs on the fly you can take control as the GM using this extension (for FG v3.1.7): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ship-Extension This avoids you having to log in as a dummy player to "take control" of (N)PCs and stop the players seeing them in the Character Selection window. In the up coming FG v3.2.0 this functionality is built in, no need for an extension.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Also in v 3.2 the DM can take control of a PC without have to do the second instance and log in thing
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Also in v 3.2 the DM can take control of a PC without have to do the second instance and log in thing
    Kinda what I said in the post immediately above.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Someone could ask Ikael since this feature has been part of the Savage Worlds ruleset for a while now. An NPC can be dropped in the Party sheet and in another PC's sheet.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Kinda what I said in the post immediately above.
    Oops misread your post

Quote Originally Posted by Mask_of_winter View Post
    Someone could ask Ikael since this feature has been part of the Savage Worlds ruleset for a while now. An NPC can be dropped in the Party sheet and in another PC's sheet.
    Kinda what Trenloe said in the post above

Quote Originally Posted by Mask_of_winter View Post
    The Savage Worlds PC and NPC records are a lot more aligned (data wise) than d20 based ruleset records. There is a lot of complex data in d20 based systems: individual attacks with their own attack bonuses and damage, spells, abilities/feats, inventory, etc. that are coded differently in the two records and would all need potentially very complex coding to make the NPC to PC migration complete.

Sure, it "could" be done...

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    If you're adding NPCs as PCs on the fly you can take control as the GM using this extension (for FG v3.1.7): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ship-Extension This avoids you having to log in as a dummy player to "take control" of (N)PCs and stop the players seeing them in the Character Selection window. In the up coming FG v3.2.0 this functionality is built in, no need for an extension.
    Thanks, I'll look into using this extension (just need to check it's not gunna break any of the other extensions I'm using). I don't suppose anyone has a rough idea of when v3.2.0 will be released (as in have completed the beta testing phase)?

Thread Information