FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Recording sessions for YouTube

Greetings,

I'm planning to start a new campaign soon and I wanted to record each session to put on my YouTube channel. Are there any of you out there that do this? If so what is your set up for communication program and recording software?

My current group uses Skype for communication. Has anyone else used Skype while recording video? Or will I need to switch to other communication software for my plans?

Thanks in advance to any who reply.

Hello, Talon.

If you will be using OBS Studio for recording/streaming, there is no need to change the voice software you are using, because it will capture the sound that is directed to your speakers, no matter the source.
    Anyway, depending on your hardware settings and internet connection speed and latency, I would recommend to change your voice software.

I have poor experiences with Skype, especially in video conferences with more than two people. I was using Google Hangouts solely because of the video call, but ultimately I had dropped it favoring an audio-only solution.

Beyond Team Speak, I had tested Dolby Axon and Discord. Dolby Axon have nice features, like virtual, dynamic surround option, that creates the experience of being on a real room with your mates, but it showed to be a bit bugged with poor quality to two of my players.

Discord have a very nice and clear sound, good audio failure correction and a web-based client that runs directly from a web browser, but it is a pain in the @&& because every time you change something on your OS or clear your browser cache, it will ask you to re-confirm the access on your IP address. In top of that, joining chat channels on Discord is not very intuitive, so you can get a bit confused.

Finally, Team Speak is the king of the audio conference software’s, but with it, you need to set up your own home server, or you pay to a host service. Gladly, FG community have a TS server you can use, if the need arises.

But if Skype is working for you, it would not prevent you from recording and sharing your videos.

Blog Entries
    I run a teamspeak server on my NAS and you can even run one on a raspberry pi, so it is not like the server software is that demanding. I have a decent cable modem connection and can support 7 people (me plus six players) very cleanly.

You can even run the server on the computer you are using to run FG, but I prefer the more permanent option of the NAS as I used to travel a lot and it was one less thing to worry about.

When I was playing Eve Online and running a large alliance, I paid for a host that could handle over 200 at once and it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    I run a teamspeak server on my NAS and you can even run one on a raspberry pi, so it is not like the server software is that demanding. I have a decent cable modem connection and can support 7 people (me plus six players) very cleanly.
    Yes, TS is very lightweight; but I am not so sure if it is easy to configure and keep it up and running. I had downloaded the TS 3 server installer and searched on google for some tutorials, and all of them gave me the impression that TS Server is a bit tricky to configure.

But I never tried it, so I may be wrong.

Blog Entries
    The hardest part for me on the NAS was getting the permission key out of the text file on the NAS as I am not the best with Linux and the standard file structure there. Once I had the permission key, it was very simple to use the Windows GUI client and get the server going. Teamspeak has android and iOS clients and even works well over 3G cellular internet.

You do lose being able to see each other's faces, but video conferences on home connections with 5-6 people can be pretty choppy. We all know each other so no big deal on the lack of seeing our aged faces. :-)

(And my forum title is now funny considering my profile picture)

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    The hardest part for me on the NAS was getting the permission key out of the text file on the NAS as I am not the best with Linux and the standard file structure there. Once I had the permission key, it was very simple to use the Windows GUI client and get the server going. Teamspeak has android and iOS clients and even works well over 3G cellular internet.
    That is very nice to know. Did you had to install anything like a No-IP client to get around the common Dynamic IP issues, so the clients can find the server, or it wasn't necessary?

Blog Entries
    YouTube and Google are seamlessly integrated. This article may be of interest to you: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7083786
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Blog Entries
    I use the built in ddns client in my ASUS router and point the port to the internal network IP.

A free voice option that is basically Ventrilo/Teamspeak is RaidCall. It's remotely hosted and a 200 person channel is free. I used it for a very long time. Now though, I use Rabbit.
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

Thread Information