DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Struggling with Second Wind for Fighter

I've read a few threads on how to do this, but I don't understand why when it is added to the abilities page it isn't also added to the Actions page. Also for some reason after I've taken the time to manually drag second wind from the Library into the powers section it doesn't let me change the number of uses from 0 to 1. It should be automatically figuring this out on its own too. It doesn't even start out with the right period for recovering the power (starts with daily and should be rest). At least I can edit that field. With a zero in it I believe it will let me use the ability every round which isn't very satisfying. It does create the correct healing effect, even though some threads indicated you have to fix the target to self (I didn't).

I own a standard license and a full PHB 5e license.

I find that when I manually drag Second Wind from the DD PHB Deluxe to the Actions page of the character sheet, it adds a fully functioning Second Wind to the character sheet. The only thing it doesn't do is set up usage tracking. To do that, simply switch the mode to preparation mode (by clicking the box next to mode on the bottom left corner of the Actions tab until it reads Preparation). To the left of Second Wind it should now say "0 Daily". Simply change the 0 to a 1, then left-click on the word Daily until it reads Rest. Then return back to your preference of Standard or Combat mode.

If, for whatever reason, dragging Second Wind to the Actions page of the character sheet doesn't work for you, here are some steps to set it up manually:

1. Go to the Actions page of the character sheet.

2. Left-click the brown circle with white diagonal line at the bottom right corner of the page. That should cause two new blue circles to appear, one with a white sword and one with a white star.

3. Left-click the blue circle with the white star (i.e., "Add Power"). That will put a new, blank power on the character sheet.

4. In the name field, type Second Wind. In the blank field to the right of name type whatever name you want this power to appear under. Personally, I use "Class Features" for Second Wind.

5. Right-click the name field (it should currently say "Second Wind" in that field). A radial menu will appear. Left-click the diagonal arrow (i.e., "Add Action"). That should cause another radial menu to appear. Left-click the cross (i.e., "Add Heal"). That should cause a blank Heal effect to appear directly under the Second Wind.

6. To the far right of the new blank Heal effect, there should be a magnifying glass. Left-click it. That should cause a "Spell/Ability Heal" pop-up box to appear.

7. Left-click on "Targets" until it says "Self".

8. To the right of the word HEAL you'll see a brown circle with a white diagonal line (i.e., "Edit List"). Left click it. That should result in a green circle with a white cross in it (i.e., "Add Item") to appear. Left-click that. That should cause a blank Heal effect to appear.

9. From the main Fantasy Grounds window, drag-and-drop the 10-sided die into the Dice box. Then left-click inside the Stat box a whole bunch of times until it read "Ftr". That will indicate that the Second Wind will heal 1d10 + Fighter level.

10. Left-click the red X in the upper right corner to close that window. Then follow the steps in the first paragraph above to set the frequency to 1 use per rest.

CNYGammer99,

Thanks for the response. I did exactly what you described in the first paragraph. My only issue is I can't edit the field to change 0 to 1. It is uneditable. I think I've also tried to do exactly your enumerated list, but many of those fields are uneducable as well. I wonder if there is some bug with Wine/FG. I run on a Mac.

I'll try to do some more testing this morning.

OK, I had a few minutes to test. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I have a fighter where I can't edit the field to change the 0 to a 1 no matter what I do including deleting and completely reading the power. I have a fighter where everything works like it should. There is some sort of bug I haven't narrowed down. For now, I'll just delete and recreate the first fighter and the issue should be gone. I hope that doesn't happen with a higher level character where creating again would take some time.

An alternative is to not drag the ability to the action tab and just right-click and make a new power, adding the usage and healing, yourself. Not all of the parsing that FG does is accurate.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

I couldn't say for sure what the issue is here. This evening when I'm home, I'll test it out on my Mac (I DM my game using my Windows machine generally) to see if I experience the same issue. The only thing is, when I'm running Fantasy Grounds on my Mac, I'm running it in a VM via Parallels. I initially tried running FG in a Wine wrapper, and it ran really slow and stilted. My Mac is pretty powerful, so I was kind of surprised. But I deleted it and re-installed it on the VM, and run it using Parallel's coherence mode, and it's smooth like buttah.

I'm running on a 7 year old iMac is it runs smooth, very smooth. The only exception is when I maximize the window sometimes it crashes and some times it works fine. I can't seem to adjust the window size any other way, so I really can only have the launch size (very small) or maximum size.

OK, I figured out why I couldn't edit. It turns out that even though FG2 was in the foreground and my mouse clicks would interact with the application, the keyboard input was apparently going to the Wine wrapper. I'm not sure whether a Wine window (usually a directory browser) has to be open or not. My FG2 application is maximized when this is occurring, so it is difficult to know if a Wine window is open or not.

Thread Information