FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Building a custom ruleset for me and my players but running into problem Par5e

I am trying to build a weapon table, but when I parse, the 1st item gets a warning message in notepad++. Any ideas why this is happening (first few lines below). I have watched the video tutorials, and am sure am missing something incredibly simple. Thanks so much!

#@;WEAPON
    #th;TYPE;WC;CODE;RANGE;DAMAGE;COST;KILO;VALUE
    Battle Axe;2;~II;*;1d8;7;3;100

Battle Axe comes back with a warning message. Thanks again

What's the warning message you're getting? Why is it Notepad++ is giving a warning message - what file do you have open in Notepad++?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    What's the warning message you're getting? Why is it Notepad++ is giving a warning message - what file do you have open in Notepad++?
    Here is a screen grab of my error. I followed Xorn's guide best I could and read documentation. If I remove the last 4 columns of the battle Axe, it will parse, but nothing shows up in FG. If i fill in all my columns for the item, that is when I get the error message. I have no sub categories in what I am building.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daboking View Post
    I am trying to build a weapon table, but when I parse, the 1st item gets a warning message in notepad++. Any ideas why this is happening (first few lines below). I have watched the video tutorials, and am sure am missing something incredibly simple. Thanks so much!

#@;WEAPON
    #th;TYPE;WC;CODE;RANGE;DAMAGE;COST;KILO;VALUE
    Battle Axe;2;~II;*;1d8;7;3;100

Battle Axe comes back with a warning message. Thanks again
    Can you substitute the Name;Price;Damage;Weight;Properties for your own values?
    And if you can I still dont think you can use characters like ~ and * ...

WEAPONS
    Name;Price;Damage;Weight;Properties
    Simple Weapons
    Club;1 gp;1d4 bludgeoning;1 lb.;Light
    Sap;1 cp;1d4 bludgeoning;3 lb.;Light

I think that is part of my problem, I dont know enough about it to know if I can customize or not. Xorn's video references 5e and how, for example, armor, required 6 specific fields as listed in the documentation and what those 6 should be called. I have no idea if core has those same types of restrictions, and the CoreRPG Par5e documentation does not list table requirements by number, etc. Perhaps my ~ and * symbols are a problem, I was not sure. I was just duplicating the weapon chart from my rulebook, amd will need to adapt if these characters are restricted. I am a noob at this, so I am grateful for the advice.

Update, just to test, I made the following changes, and still unsuccessful:
    #@;WEAPONS
    #th;NAME;PRICE;DAMAGE;WEIGHT;PROPERTIES
    #st;Simple
    Battle Axe;7 gp;1d8 bludgeoning;6 lb;Light

OK, so you're trying to use 5E data in CoreRPG - that's not going to work. If you open a CoreRPG campaign and create a new item you have 4 fields - name, cost, weight and description. CoreRPG doesn't understand damage, range, etc. because it is designed to be system agnostic. If you want 5E type items then you're better off running 5E, not CoreRPG. If you just want basic items then you're probably best off creating them in a CoreRPG campaign and exporting to a module from there.

What are you actually trying to accomplish?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

My end goal is a conversion of 2nd edition gamma world from 1983. It is a simple system so I thought the core RPG would be my best route to go. I'm just not very familiar with core RPG and what the allowed sections are for each column on the equipment list. Initially I was just trying to use the chart from the rule book itself and convert that into fantasygrounds if that were possible but I'm guessing that it's not so I need to find a way to adjust where I can run the game using fantasygrounds and create a ruleset that I could use with my players

Blog Entries
    daboking as Trenloe points out the equipment details in CoreRPG are very basic. It has lots of smarts in it but only has basic descriptor fields (which can be extended by rulesets and extensions).
    If you create your equipment INSIDE your CoreRPG campaign and export it that will give you a working set of data. You can see the XML structure and work on it in XML or keep updating within FG.

You might also try the MoreCore ruleset when 3.2.0 comes out as I think it will add some nice base functionality for other systems.

Thank you very much for the reply. I had noticed earlier reading about morecore. So for the time being I think you're right I'll just do a very basic equipment list creating the items one at a time and exporting it out that way. Thank you very much

Thread Information