FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Optimal map size?

What is the optimal map size out of curiosity?

I used an 6k by 8k jpg just under 5mb which caused fg to seize up for 10 seconds before loading. With connected players this becomes even more of a problem and it has broken sessions to swearing fits.

You should keep map pixel sizes under 4K per side. Regardless of how much actual space they take up on disk, the whole thing is expanded fully in memory in order to apply all the layers. (Which add 2 more but maps of the same size in memory).

Regards,
    JPG

The general view seems to be that map sizes should also not be a great deal higher than 500Kb. However it is going to depend on how fast you and your player's connections speeds are to some extent.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Also, when creating maps, what's best? 72 dpi, 150, 300? There's always that issue of loading in maps and then gridding them. Lots of "mathy" things to consider when exporting from say Campaign Cartographer 3+ and having to figure out stuff like 150 pixels per inch and I want my map to be 400 feet by 300 feet with 5' squares, and you carry the seven and add the carrot, blend, drink. I get crazy!

Is there a good formula so I can make all my maps consistent, good quality, but not too big in file size so as to have giant download times and make the token CRAWL when they're moved?

Appreciate any insight guys.
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

If you are using CC3+ then export your map as a bmp file. Click Save as, select BMP bitmap file and then go into the options. For the Maximum Image Dimensions enter figures which are a multiple of 100 (for 100dpi) or 50 (for 50dpi) of your map. So if your map is 120'x80' enter figures of 1200x800 or 600x400. Also make the Antialias 25%, check the boxes for Restrict to map border and Restrict to Map border. Now save the file. Once exported open the map in GIMP or Photoshop and export it from there as a jpg file with about 75% of the resolution of the original map. This will give you a map which is light on size, still be super quality and will give you a 5' grid in Fantasy Grounds (grid size 50px if you did 100dpi and 25px if you did 50dpi).
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; May 25th, 2016 at 21:47.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    If you are using CC3+ then export your map as a bmp file. Click Save as, select BMP bitmap file and then go into the options. For the Maximum Image Dimensions enter figures which are a multiple of 100 (for 100dpi) or 50 (for 50dpi) of your map. So if your map is 120'x80' enter figures of 1200x800 or 600x400. Also make the Antialias 25%, check the boxes for Restrict to map border and Restrict to Map border. Now save the file. Once exported open the map in GIMP or Photoshop and export it from there as a jpg file with about 75% of the resolution of the original map. This will give you a map which is light on size, still be super quality and will give you a 5' grid in Fantasy Grounds (grid size 100px if you did 100dpi and 50px if you did 50dpi).
    Fantastic info THANX!!!
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    ....open the map in GIMP or Photoshop and export it from there as a jpg file with about 75% of the resolution of the original map....
    Resolution is the numbers from teh previous line - you are exporting it at 75% jpg quality which keeps the resolution the same but smooths gradients much more aggressively reducing the finer details.
    Id suggest you try exports as low as 40% jpg quality and you might find much bigger savings in size and still very usable maps

Sorry my wording was unclear. Damned is of course correct.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; May 26th, 2016 at 08:55.

I wish FG used blur when zoomed in rather than pixelization.

Would a 4k by 4k blank, white image cause problems? It took a few second to load, though the file itself is under 200kb.
    See here
    https://imgur.com/ddvOHIb
    I'm using it as a canvas for 100x100 40px squares.

Thread Information