5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

View Poll Results: How should Autosounds Trigger?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep as is (OOB Messages)

3 6.12%
  • Off Chat Window Strings (more manual work for GM)

4 8.16%
  • Have Both Options Avalaible

38 77.55%
  • Don't care

4 8.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 23 of 163 First ... 1321222324253373123 ... Last
    Syrinscape must be running, in its normal mode, in order to play sounds via the extension. If Syrinscape is not already running, when you press one of those sound links, then it will be started automagically, and the sound will play.

The 3PI issue is completely unrelated to the 'playing' of a sound. From Syrinscape's point of view, it only comes into play when you are asking it to provide you with URI's to copy and paste over in FG (or wherever). When you are through copying'n'pasting, then you disable the 3PI (the little '+' signs go away), and Syrinscape goes back to its normal mode of operation (i.e., playing sounds).

Hope that's clear.

- s.west

I just realized I didn't specifically answer this question:

Quote Originally Posted by antdread View Post
    Hey Dulux,
    ... I need another App for listening to the SoundStrings in FG?
    No, you don't need 'another' app. You need Syrinscape. Those links that you are cutting and pasting are URIs that direct Syrinscape, specifically, to play something.

Does that help?

- s.west

Quote Originally Posted by swest View Post
    I just realized I didn't specifically answer this question:

No, you don't need 'another' app. You need Syrinscape. Those links that you are cutting and pasting are URIs that direct Syrinscape, specifically, to play something.

Does that help?

- s.west
    Yes and no,

Thanks for the observation on disabling the 3PI and using Syrinscape in normal mode. In FG I hit the SoundString and nothing, no sound would play. If I go to Syrinscape and hit play, it works.

Every time I read the other members post I learn new words and terms, and suddenly all start to make sense.

Its a new language for me!

Well, I am extrapolating the little I know about other forms of Universal Resource specifications to, what I assume must be some sort of '3rd party control protocol'... And, yes, it is a new language, for sure.

The URI that Syrinscape gives us looks like:

Code:
    syrinscape-fantasy:moods/c3Rvcm06OkdhdGhlcmluZyBzdG9ybQ/play/
    What I don't know is what Fantasy Grounds adds to that string, and then how it utilizes the finished product to cause Syrinscape to play whatever is represented by that string.

Perhaps dulux-oz will show us what's behind the curtains... ?

- s.west

Well, I guess Fantasy Grounds (or, rather, DOE: Sounds) adds nothing to the string at all... I just followed the demo that Benjamin (Syrinscape) posted here, in which he simply places one of those URIs into a Windows shortcut, double-clicks the shortcut, and, voilà, the sound plays... pretty cool.

So, there's really not much to it.

Nevertheless, I would still like to understand the structure of that string.

- s.west

Last post, I promise.

I just reread my last post, where I said:

So, there's really not much to it.
    and I realized that this could be taken the wrong way.

When I said, "there's really not much to it", I was referring, strictly, to the relationship between that URI, and the playing of a sound on Syrinscape. In other words, "there doesn't appear to be any additional complications beyond having that string, to cause Syrinscape to play the sound", or, "there's really not much to it".

The user interface provided by 'DOE: Sound Extension' could not similarly be dismissed with, "there's really not much to it."

I hope I have cleared up any misconception...

- s.west

[edit]

I promised no more posts, so I have to edit this one ;-)

Referring forward to Myrdin Potter's post (#227): Yes, I concur.
    Last edited by swest; August 30th, 2016 at 05:51. Reason: making sure I have pulled my foot out of my mouth

Blog Entries
    There are two levels of the FG extension.

The first is just taking the sound string from the Syrinscape player and making a little sound board inside FG so you can have Syrinscape running in the background and just pick sounds right from inside FG. The extension "only" passes the string to Syrinscape that plays it. You could just keep flipping to Syrinscape and play it directly.

The real power of the extension is that the little sound board in FG creates objects in FG that can be triggered by events inside FG without the GM or the players doing anything special. So the module designer could build in a soundscape or the GM can prebuilt the soundscape and have it handled by FG.

So, yes, "all"'the extension does at the base is store the same sound string that is a Windows shortcut....

Quote Originally Posted by swest View Post
    Last post, I promise.

I just reread my last post, where I said:

and I realized that this could be taken the wrong way.

When I said, "there's really not much to it", I was referring, strictly, to the relationship between that URI, and the playing of a sound on Syrinscape. In other words, "there doesn't appear to be any additional complications beyond having that string, to cause Syrinscape to play the sound", or, "there's really not much to it".

The user interface provided by 'DOE: Sound Extension' could not similarly be dismissed with, "there's really not much to it."

I hope I have cleared up any misconception...

- s.west

Swest,

I don't know if you are aware but, I'm not running in Windows, I'm running in Mac OSX El Cap

Quote Originally Posted by antdread View Post
    Swest,

I don't know if you are aware but, I'm not running in Windows, I'm running in Mac OSX El Cap
    Oh.. well.. never mind.

And don't forget that in the current version of the extension, running on Windows, you're not limited to Syrinscape. More info here and the post immediately after: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post270797

I hope this functionality (running HTTP links and opening sound files) doesn't disappear in future version of the extension.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information