STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 8 First ... 23456 ... Last
    Hi Trenloe,

I just followed some advice from one of the senior posters on here. I copied and unzipped the Numenera ruleset in to a folder in the rulesets folder. I renamed the folder / ruleset "Cypher System" and then worked on this copy.

I am not going to get involved in a full on development, the changes I am making were originally only for my own benefit.

But then I thought that some of the stuff I had done may be of use to the community so I decided to post here to let people know.

I am still playing around, just changed the currency panel over to the price category that Cypher System uses (and also changed the armor so it works as Cypher System).

I thought I'd add a picture of the work I mentioned in my previous post. It is the update to the inventory tab that has changed the currency frame:
    Attachment 15526

After the Cypher System came out, I thought it would be great to rebuild everything as a Cypher ruleset with Numenera and Strange rulesets layered on top. However, without an official MCG relationship, it just doesn't make sense for me to spend the time to rewrite at this point. We've reached out to them several times.

I think your approach is the best, which is to take the Numenera ruleset and generalize it for Cypher.

Cheers,
    JPG

Thank you Moon Wizard!

I really am just starting out (been looking at this only in the last few days) and have found it fairly straight forward. The only down side is not knowing all the elements and there properties and the guesswork involved. But I take the attitude that I will keep at it, small increments and learn as I go along.

Here is a change I made to the Armor system to match how Cypher System works with Armor. The first image is the change to the Actions tab.
    Attachment 15528

The second is the change that makes to the main character tab for the speed pool (displaying the extra effort). Unfortunately it is only display, doesn't apply the change.
    Attachment 15529

That's exactly the way that I recommend to approach any ruleset modifications or extension building. Just make incremental changes to do what you want in your games, and if you end up working on it a lot, you'll be building much larger changes in no time.

When I first started using FG, I wanted a more full featured rulesets for 3.5E and 4E, so I built my own. Eventually, everyone else was using it too, and I brought it in as the official 3.5E and 4E rulesets when I joined the FG team.

Cheers,
    JPG

Just wanted to check this with you Moon Wizard (JPG).

I am scratching an itch when it comes to modules, namely equipment tables. I have taken your work from 3.5e and copied over the ref_equipment_lists.xml. I am re-engineering this to work with Cypher System and it has been straight forward with only one "herding cats" moment which was actually down to me not thinking logically.

My question is, are you okay with this being included in the Cypher System ruleset if I upload it to share. My aim would be to allow module creation to include creating tables for Armor, Weapons, Gear, Bestiary, Cyphers.

Well, here's the issue, and why I never published any modules:

From my interpretation (which may or may not be correct, only lawyers really know), the CUP (Community Use Policy) from MCG (Monte Cook Games) states that you can only use the names and not any of the detail for the items listed in the rulebook. (i.e. you could use the cypher name, but not any detail as to what it did) At least, this was the CUP at the time I looked at it after Numenera was launched, but before The Strange launched. So, it might have changed. What this meant was that the modules that could be released were so limited in what they provided, they were little better than typing the names yourself. So, barring an official agreement with MCG to sell the official material, it didn't really make sense to spend much time on it.

That also means, since it's considered copyright material (as far as we know), that we would have to take down any modules posted on the forum.

Perhaps you can add your voice over on the MCG site to push for an official release?

Regards,
    JPG

Understand, but I think I didn't explain myself properly.

No modules, no copyrighted data. The equipment tables are just the empty shells, and anyone who wants to use them in their own personal modules can then do so. I have created the tables for Armor and Weapons so far, they are empty, but I can use them to create a module that contains the armor and weapons (for my own use) in the table format.

I will definitely go over to MCG and see if I can get their attention.

Cool, just wanted to make sure we were on same page, before you spent a bunch of time making a wonderfully complete module. In these cases, I usually just enter what I need to keep my game going.

Cheers,
    JPG

I would definitely love to see a generic Cypher System ruleset with the different subsets of The Strange, Numenera, etc., but definitely understand that without an official relationship there isn't really a motivation to redo the current implementation. Hopefully, some arrangement can be arrived at officially, or, barring that, a community project (which appears to be in flight, but not sure if it is just for personal use or not as I didn't read the entire thread).

Thread Information