FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last

Numenera Ruleset Upgrade

Are there any plans to update the Numenera Ruleset? You could change the name to Cypher System and update the mechanics to be fully functional.
    I've only noticed one thing as I've only used it twice. The pools don't auto update when you use an ability. There may be more, but I'd have to play with it more to find out. I don't know if the targeting works to apply damage. Likewise, idk if armor reduces damage as it should. Anywhere I can go to find this information? The wiki is pretty empty, so I'm not sure where to find the info.

The Numenera ruleset is being updated with core feature improvements, but no current plans to update Cypher specific functionality.

The current ruleset was a side project I worked on when my group was running a Numenera campaign a few years ago. Currently, it just doesn't have the demand or official support to justify spending much time on it. If we got an official license with MCG with the opportunity to offer DLC, we would definitely revisit.

I envision a Cypher ruleset as a new base ruleset, like CoreRPG. From there, the ruleset could be written to adapt records to a particular setting through extensions, ruleset options or layered rulesets.

For the current features:
    * The pools don't auto-update, because many powers offer optional boosting options to spend more points. So, it's left as manual.
    * The targeting does work to apply damage, and dies adjust for armor. Make sure that your targets are added to the combat tracker before applying damage.

The wiki has not been updated, because there is no one actively working on it (other than core features) as mentioned above. Anybody can submit content to one of the moderators to have it added to the wiki, if you're interested.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The Numenera ruleset is being updated with core feature improvements, but no current plans to update Cypher specific functionality.

The current ruleset was a side project I worked on when my group was running a Numenera campaign a few years ago. Currently, it just doesn't have the demand or official support to justify spending much time on it. If we got an official license with MCG with the opportunity to offer DLC, we would definitely revisit.

I envision a Cypher ruleset as a new base ruleset, like CoreRPG. From there, the ruleset could be written to adapt records to a particular setting through extensions, ruleset options or layered rulesets.

For the current features:
    * The pools don't auto-update, because many powers offer optional boosting options to spend more points. So, it's left as manual.
    * The targeting does work to apply damage, and dies adjust for armor. Make sure that your targets are added to the combat tracker before applying damage.

The wiki has not been updated, because there is no one actively working on it (other than core features) as mentioned above. Anybody can submit content to one of the moderators to have it added to the wiki, if you're interested.

Regards,
    JPG
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm hoping to get them interested in supporting fantasy grounds. Well find out soon, I hope!

Blog Entries
    Brand new FG user and also new Numenera player/GM. Numenera is pretty much the reason I got FG so I'm definitely excited for more development of the ruleset.

One thing, and maybe it's just me being so new to FG in general. Say I have a Nano who has the Onslaught esotery. I can add it to the Abilities section of the character sheet where I can specify the Intellect cost of 1 (which is unfortunately not yet automated, I saw the note above) or I can add it to the Combat section where it will do the 4 damage. But I can't make it do both at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Brand new FG user and also new Numenera player/GM. Numenera is pretty much the reason I got FG so I'm definitely excited for more development of the ruleset.

One thing, and maybe it's just me being so new to FG in general. Say I have a Nano who has the Onslaught esotery. I can add it to the Abilities section of the character sheet where I can specify the Intellect cost of 1 (which is unfortunately not yet automated, I saw the note above) or I can add it to the Combat section where it will do the 4 damage. But I can't make it do both at once.
    I noticed that as well. I've just been putting it in both. One to keep track of and the other for use in battle. If I had time to learn some programming, I would love to update this ruleset.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryfe484 View Post
    I noticed that as well. I've just been putting it in both. One to keep track of and the other for use in battle. If I had time to learn some programming, I would love to update this ruleset.
    I'm doing the same thing, and I've got Notepad++ fired up reading all these Lua and XML files. I haven't worked with Lua since WoW mods about 10 years ago lol so attempting to re-learn some of this stuff.

Blog Entries
    Can extensions do that? I'm still very new to FG but so far all I've seen are that extensions just do a little "fluffy" thing like an extra desktop decal option, or the "mood lighting" or "weather" extensions.

Say the player creates a game with a Cypher System ruleset could an Extention be powerful enough on its own to say load in all the Numenera-specific stuff (names of the character Types, Numenera-only bestiary, whatever) along with maybe changing the icons to a Numenera look? Or would that require a full Numenera module? (Same for The Strange obviously.)

It could be an extension or a new ruleset layer on top of the base Cypher ruleset. It's going to be the same amount of coding in either the extension or ruleset, but the layering does provide a little more flexibility to break out setting specific code and data handling.

Regards,
    JPG

It could be an extension or a new ruleset layer on top of the base Cypher ruleset. It's going to be the same amount of coding in either the extension or ruleset, but the layering does provide a little more flexibility to break out setting specific code and data handling.

Regards,
    JPG
    If I get the chance, I would love to learn how to program this stuff. I love Fantasy Grounds and I really want to see some Cypher System support.
    I'm currently working on a conversion, but I will start learning how to program for Fantasy Grounds afterward.

The current Numenera ruleset layers on top of the CoreRPG framework, and is pretty simple from a ruleset perspective; so it will be a good one to pick apart. Just make a copy of the contents of the Numenera.pak file (just a zip file with a different extension) into a folder called Cypher in the rulesets directory for the FG data folder. Then, get a good text editor with multi-file search, and give it a whirl.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information