FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Exporting player characters to a module

I would like to include a set of pre gen PC's with my campaign module. I searched the forum and wiki with no results .. is there a utility to do this? or a way to add the PC to the Mod file after the fact ? ( I know its a zip file with different extension,, I tried just putting the pre gens in the folder and rename back to mod file but they don't show.. any help would be appreciated..

Thanx in advance

*************** The only constant in the universe is change. *****************

Blog Entries
    PCs are exported as XML and imported one by one.
    The PC pregens in the LMoP are the only ones that are "built-in" like that.

If you use the /exportchar chat command it will export all of the PCs in the campaign into an XML file. Using /importchar and selecting this XML file will import all of the PCs at once. Or you can do them one by one through the Manage Characters window: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ter_Management
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

thank you for the info.. what I actually wanted to do was to include PC into a module like LMoP I thought there would be a way to do that as LmoP has them in the module itself..as once LMoP is opened.. you can choose pregens from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Octavious View Post
    thank you for the info.. what I actually wanted to do was to include PC into a module like LMoP I thought there would be a way to do that as LmoP has them in the module itself..as once LMoP is opened.. you can choose pregens from it.
    The information required to make this possible has not been made publicly available. I don't know if there are plans to do that, or if it will remain in the domain of the FG developers.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

From the CoreRPG code, the pregen char selection can be accessed by pointing a link to "pregencharselect" as the class, and the node containing one or more character records as the data path.

The data format for the character record is assumed to be identical to the PC nodes, unless the ruleset specifies a CampaignDataManager2.addPregenChar function to do custom import data. The 5E ruleset uses this approach to look up data in the official modules, and import it (for modules that are not official).

What game system are you writing for?

Regards,
    JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; May 4th, 2016 at 20:23.

ok I am still a bit confused... I am using 5E .. so if I wanted pregen PC characters like LMoP module has, then the 5e ruleset already has the ability to load in those from the xml module If what I understand correctly what Moon Wizard posted.. If I could open and inspect the LMoP module I could find the xml snippit I need and fabricate my own for my module using the snippit as an example. . But it is hidden and due to copyright I am not allowed to see it. any suggestions would be appreciated..

What Moon Wizard is saying that in order to get pregenerated characters into your module you are going to have to open up the db.xml of the module and put the characters into that file manually. You'll need to point to the pregenerated characters in the library of the db.xml using the <pregencharselect> tag and then have your characters listed between <pregencharsheet> tags (somewhere not in the library that is).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

What MW is saying is that you just need a link to the database node in your module that contains the character sheets, and that link needs the "pregencharselect" class.

Have a look at any module that contains a link, or even a link within a story entry (for example) and you'll see that the link usually contains two things: the class to open and the database node (recordname) that class will use for its data.

Here are two examples, the first is taken from a link in a story entry and the second from a library entry:

Code:
    <linklist>
    	<link class="pregencharselect" recordname="pregens">Pregens</link>
    </linklist>

<listlink type="windowreference">
    	<class>pregencharselect</class>
    	<recordname>pregens@Pregen Link Test</recordname>
    </listlink>
    And here is the database node (pregens in the module DB hierarchy) that contains two (very skeleton) characters:

Code:
    <pregens>
    		<id-00001>	
    			<name type="string">Character 1</name>
    			<token type="token"></token>
    		</id-00001>		
    		<id-00002>	
    			<name type="string">Character 2</name>
    			<token type="token"></token>
    		</id-00002>				
    </pregens>
    Both of these links will open the pregen selection window, in this example:

Attachment 14118

The attached module shows the above examples all put together in a module. It is for the CoreRPG ruleset, but the principles can be used 100% the same in any CoreRPG based ruleset. Load "Pregen Link Test" in a CoreRPG campaign and you'll have a "Pregens" link in the library and a Story entry called "One" that has a link to the pregens - both work the same.
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 20th, 2016 at 23:13.

Thank you so much for that.. that is exactly what I needed I really appreciate the help on this!!

Thread Information