Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Yes it will. But you are adding limited value by not actually creating the encounters as usable encounters. If you use generic creatures they have to be replaced with the correct ruleset versions. Their places on the map will be lost.
    PS I have a couple of the pdf versions of these

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Yes it will. But you are adding limited value by not actually creating the encounters as usable encounters. If you use generic creatures they have to be replaced with the correct ruleset versions. Their places on the map will be lost.
    I suppose your right, and the tokens would have to be changed out too.

PS I have a couple of the pdf versions of these
    Oh? You like em? I was thinking of converting those. But meh, I like to build new stuff.

Anyway, sleepy time. Continue discussion in the morning.
    Tailz, the Artist of Studio WyldFurr
    Follow Studio WyldFurr on Twitter, Facebook, and the studio web site.
    "The London Underground, is not a resistance movement!"

Here is a little snippet of what I am planning:

Grunk’s Lair
    Deep in the forest lives a grumpy old Ogre called Grunk. His lair is a ramshackle building made from stolen blocks of stone he gathered from a lost overgrown temple further in the woods. He lives there arguing with himself over the mundane and trivial things that trouble Ogres. Occasionally he ventures out from his hovel in search of food, which he usually finds in the form of an unfortunate farmers cow, or the farmer himself.

Grunk the Ogre
    Your going to smell Grunk, long before he manages to get his grubby hands around your neck. He is a large hulking tub of overweight Ogre, well fed on stolen sheep, or anything else slow enough to catch (or stupid enough). But don’t let Grunk’s dumb expression get the better of you, he is a crafty Ogre when it comes to finding his next meal. Just hope adventurer, is not on the menu!

Grunk takes certain pride in his weapon of choice, a large club fashioned from a sturdy lump of wood. The handle has been rubbed smooth with years of use, then wrapped with leather to provide a good grip for a strong Ogre. Meanwhile the “talking end” as Grunk would say, is heavy with iron nails driven through the club to provide that little extra “Ouch!”

Blog Entries
    I really like this idea. I was thinking of something similar myself, but I don't have the artistic talent you do so I'm sure you can do a much better job than I could.
    Though very generic is good, I agree that being able to have rule-specific encounters with creatures would be very important (perhaps even a requirement). Perhaps it would not bee too much work to make a generic one (w/o encounters) and then to add 3.5, PF & 5E versions. Not sure what that would require though.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailz Silver Paws View Post
    Will that not tie it to a specific rule set?
    Yes, I think that's what damned is suggesting. I personally wouldn't mind if I had to drop the monsters in myself, but if you want to market it as a drag n' drop adventure location, it might be best to have actual monsters and story entries prepped for the map. Maybe just do a 5e version, and see how it goes?

You should also sell your maps at the store - just the maps, no bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by leozelig View Post
    Yes, I think that's what damned is suggesting. I personally wouldn't mind if I had to drop the monsters in myself, but if you want to market it as a drag n' drop adventure location, it might be best to have actual monsters and story entries prepped for the map. Maybe just do a 5e version, and see how it goes?

You should also sell your maps at the store - just the maps, no bells and whistles.
    I was thinking that setting up the map notes and maps would be cross rule set compatible, but setting the combat tracker would be rule set dependant. Which would mean different versions I think.

Just the maps huh? No notes? No advenTure stuff?
    Last edited by Tailz Silver Paws; May 2nd, 2016 at 01:00.

Maps and Story and even Tokens can be cross compatible. But NPCs and Encounters can not.
    Yes this is what I thought, so if I was to setup the combat it would have to be on a rule set by rule set basis as the NPC's in the combat would be tied to the rule set.

Create the maps and tokens as a ruleset independent module. Then open that module in another campaign (one for each ruleset) and add NPCs and Encounters there. Sell each ruleset group as a bundle - the generic module packaged with a ruleset dependent encounter module. You can also sell the generic module as a standalone and let the GM add their own encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    Create the maps and tokens as a ruleset independent module. Then open that module in another campaign (one for each ruleset) and add NPCs and Encounters there.
    This is a good idea. You could actually go one step further - include all of the system specific info modules, i.e. the modules with data for 5E, PFRPG, 3.5E, etc. all in the same package - and the GM just has to activate the system specific module. This is all possible because FG uses the module internal reference name for data links (like the link from an encounter to an NPC) and not the base module filename. Thus you could have 3 modules, for example: 5e_data.mod, 3.5E_data.mod, PF_data.mod all called "Grunks Lair System Data" in FG (the <name> tag in the module definition.xml file. Each of these system specific modules would have the <ruleset> tag specific to the system used and so only the relevant system data module would be available within a system specific campaign (5E, 3.5E, PFRPG, etc.).

This would allow a single product to cover multiple systems - something that will be very handy for those GMs of us who run multiple systems.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information