5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Extensions. Where do i start?

So to start i am not a computer guy. At all. I dont want to be. I like Fantasy Grounds because my group now can play almost every week instead of twice a year. Its awesome! But i am not good with computers. At all.

So, i wanted to create my own campaign using Savage worlds rules. All i want to do is customize the background, the side bars and chat window. (The savage worlds ones are a little to pulpy) Then id like to create several custom Edges and Hindrances. Seemed easy enough.

So i started with Jeff's Excruciatingly Simple Extension Tutorial for Fantasy Grounds (Part 1). On page 4 he said i need to go to an online XML Tutorial before i read on. So i did. That tutorial said i needed to do tutorials on HTML and JavaScript before i continue with that Tutorial.

So now im looking at about 3 hours of tutorials before i can take the tutorial that will qualify me to take the tutorial. This seems like a lot just to learn how to change a skin and add a couple house rules. Am i going about this the right way?

Blog Entries
    There are so many different extensions that can be written. Jeff's Excruciatingly Simple Extension Tutorial starts you off on creating a dialogue/window interface. Many extensions dont require this. Changing a graphical look of the desktop is one of the easiest extensions to write. I suggest you have a look at some of the existing themes (try some here: https://www.fg-con.com/free-downloads) and pull them apart and see how they work.
    I dont use Savage Worlds but I believe that the Edges and Hindrances would be done in a Module but I could be wrong. Basically I think they are two different tasks.

Those look really nice, especially the last 2. If could use the side bars and chat window and just change the background that would solve my skin problem. So i downloaded one. How do i get it to show up on FG. its in my FG data folder under Extensions, but not showing up as an option under load campaign on FG launcher.

in regard to modules, i have yet to create one. just been using premade ones so far. I understood them to simply be organizational tools. Can i actually create Edges (feats, powers, skills, whatever a particular game system calls them) within the game itself instead of having to code it in?

Blog Entries
    Hi Tatertron you are free to do what you want with them.
    You can use any ZIP/UNZIP program to open the file up. I use 7zip because it recognises the files as zip without me having to rename them.
    There is a file in the root directory called: extension.xml
    One of its tasks is to say what rulesets this extension will work with.
    Savage Worlds has a few different campaign tools (side bar icons) so these probably arent labelled as SavageWorlds rulesets.

edit the extension.xml file and add:

<ruleset>
    <name>SavageWorlds</name>
    </ruleset>
    in the same place as teh others. You will see a few things that dont change - these will be the Savage differences and you will need to work out how to implement them and source/modify the graphics.

I would probably NOT use that Chat Window as it has a couple of small glitches and Im not sure if it works 100% with the different chat window you have in Savage Worlds. See how you go and ask questions when you are stuck.

Ok, so is downloaded 7-zip. Im following the YouTube video "Fantasy Grounds GM training: Custom Skin'' by Eric Lamoureux. Around time 6:30 in 7zip he clicks on extension.xml, at which point he is directed to the coding page. However when i try this i get this message "this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs in the control panel". Tried it with all my extensions. Tried some other stuff with my registry editor. LOL! taken several hours and i cant even open the XML file.

From Fantasy Grounds
    "Data Files overview
    Extensions
    Installation: To install a new extension, just place the extension directory or EXT file into the extensions subfolder of the FG data folder.
    Extensions are a set of files that can modify a specific ruleset. Extensions can be used to add new graphics (such as a desktop or window theme) or to modify behavior (such as house rules or new features). Extensions can be distributed as a directory containing the data files, or as an EXT file (a ZIP file renamed with a .ext extension that contains all the extension data files).
    Troubleshooting: If the extension is not appearing on the launcher screen when Creating a New Campaign or Manage Characters, then make sure that a extension.xml file exists in the root of the extension directory or EXT file. Also, make sure that the ruleset that the extension is supposed to be modifying is also installed and selected on the launcher screen."

So no custom Extensions will show up at launcher. When i go to them on extensions in the sub folder I get this: "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC cannot open file 'insert-extension name' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasnt correctly decoded)"

just have no idea what the heck i'm supposed to do to get these extensions to work, and i really don't want to have to get a computer engineering degree just to play my homebrew campaign

Blog Entries
    I'm in the same boat as you. I can operate a pc but I can't code or anything like that. Here's a video I made to show people how to "skin" their Fantasy Grounds UI. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQogq06PJHM
    To create custom content for Savage Worlds I use the SW Library Extension located here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post152731
    No need to know how to code. You create your content in the Library window IN FG using this extension. I use it all the time to create homebrew content, modify existing libraries or create an official setting library that isn't currently in the store.
    Here's a sample of what I've been able to do with this method.
    Attachment 13750Attachment 13749Attachment 13752
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

This video was a great help. Seeing how you broke it down, it actually seems really simple to adjust the look and feel of the interface. Its way easier than I thought it would be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jajen2003 View Post
    This video was a great help. Seeing how you broke it down, it actually seems really simple to adjust the look and feel of the interface. Its way easier than I thought it would be.
    Thanks. I'm glad it was helpful to you. It's a matter of swapping graphics. Of course, with a bit of xml knowledge you can do a lot more. But if you can make graphics, operate winzip, type and drag and drop files you can make your own skin. The more you play with it, the easier, faster it gets and you learn what works and what doesn't.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Thread Information