DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Many developers are really gun-shy about releasing timetables. They fear the backlash from failing to hit deadlines or deliver on intentions (which many customers tend to view as "broken promises").

Unfortunately, the alternative that some developers choose, instead, is a virtual radio silence. That's a cure that can sometimes be worse than the original risk of failing to deliver.

Overhype and vaporware is bad. But chirping crickets isn't much better.

There is plenty of talk about the amorphous "Unity" version of FG... but the details are pretty thin. Is the server model changing? Don't know. Is it just a straight port? If not, what new features can people expect to see when it launches? Surely there is something more than just a back-end done by this point? And then we have the TableTopConnect acquisition... which leaves many to make some pretty wild assumptions and drive expectations in very chaotic directions. For example, what features (precisely) from TableTopConnect are we going to see? Again, surely there is some sort of roadmap being followed behind the scene... are we getting TTC's dungeon builder... 3d map/tokens... character sheet builder... dynamic lighting... etc. And, perhaps more importantly, is FG currently "losing" anything in translation?

I'm a fan of good developer blogs during these long, drawn out, development periods. But, my sense right now is that development on the *new* FG isn't as robust as many might be hoping for because there has been a fairly lucrative straying from that path to provide new "3rd party" content and feature development in the *current* version. It's a good problem for FG to have right now... but it does split some of the user base into categories: 1) Those who want more content, support, & features for the current version and 2) those waiting/hoping for "essential" improvements/features in an uncertain future version.

Post #14 of this thread answers some of what you are asking.

From other posts (which I cant directly find at the moment) the initial aim is to have everything that FG now is in the initial release. Some bells and whistles like dynamic lighting etc might have to wait until after the initial release. Some of what is being developed for FG now is being developed because of the port to Unity such as some of the features in 3.2. AFAIK the initial release will have full 3d mapping etc. There are no details that I can find of exactly what or how that will work or what bits of TableTopConnect will appear or not appear.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    AFAIK the initial release will have full 3d mapping etc.
    AFAIK the initial release will NOT have full 3d mapping etc.

There are 2 primary goals for the Unity build:
    1. Create a next generation platform for Fantasy Grounds which allows us to take advantage of new libraries and capabilities in Unity.
    2. The new platform is backward compatible with existing DLC.

Given that, there are a number of capabilities that we are also looking to add into the Unity version for the first release that don't exist currently. Native Mac/Linux support, more powerful dice rolling system, customizable dice, multi-layered images, easier networking, etc. The reason that we don't announce any of those features is because we are primarily working on the first 2 points, and the additional features are being considered as we build. Specifically, we have stated that the initial release of the Unity build will only support improvements to the 2D mapping system, and not include the 3D mapping system. That will come in a later build. The Unity build has taken more time than we thought originally, due to the different UI model that Unity requires us to use, and due to our own success in getting more DLC for Fantasy Grounds. To compensate, we have hired Carl and James to help on both of those fronts.

Also, there is a tendency for everyone (ourselves included) to try and fold every feature they desire into the next generation build, regardless of realistic expectations. To that end, you'll find my answers to be fairly open on the Unity build and scattered with bits and pieces of our thoughts. However, Doug and I both agree on a general policy that we don't share timelines. We tried that when we first took over Fantasy Grounds, and it ended up being an immediate problem for user expectations and fodder for competitors to use against us. There's not a single software company in the world that hits every plan, unless those plans are trivial.

Additionally, both Doug and I feel that we didn't want to let the current version languish while we toiled on the Unity build. So, I have been splitting time between adding new functionality to the existing build, while adding more to the Unity build. Now, that would be crickets, if we weren't continually releasing improvements on the current version.

The bottom line is, people should buy Fantasy Grounds for what it offers today. While we are hard at work on the Unity build, our goal is not to use this new platform in development as a marketing ploy to promise improvements to new users before actually delivering them.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    AFAIK the initial release will NOT have full 3d mapping etc.
    I stand corrected.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Thank you Moon. Always nice to hear your's and Doug's thoughts.

You're approach is one I approve of. And I agree that FG is very good as is. I also am anxiously awaiting the Unity build and as I think everyone agrees, it can never come too soon (as long as it matches current functionality). Keep up the hard work, and when you can tell us something, please do

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Software development never goes as fast as we hope. We did some early prototypes in the very beginning and while these look great, they are rarely ever final, production ready code. Since joining the team, Carl has been working 100% on the Unity build that John had already started. John had already put in about a year and a half of part-time work on it. He has continued this part-time split between the current engine and Unity, so we have in fact increased the production on this by 3X as a result of adding Carl. A lot of the work that John has been doing on the current version will also be necessary to address in the Unity version because it is related to ruleset functionality. We are killing two birds with one stone on this work. It's also the most visible and I think a necessary component to support existing customers who may not even choose to upgrade right away.

While this is going on, I continue to focus much of my time on the DLC, business direction and relationships and marketing -- along with contributions on the design philosophy for the product as a whole. James was added to the team to help with this process, because the new DLC and updating everything in our store is a huge task on its own. You can see the results of this contribution with all the new stuff popping up on the Store here and getting added into Steam. This will hopefully free me up to some other programming work, but so far it's just been for small things like the character sheet printing code or the website revamp. We will be able to incorporate most of these small projects into the Unity build once we get there.

Once we get to the point where a release date is in sight for the new version, we will start building up more and more of the hype. For now, we just want to keep focusing on the development.

I am new to fantasy grounds. If there is any major game breaking issues then I am not aware of them yet. FG has already exceeded all of my expectations as an online D&D gaming platform. I would continue playing, as is, for years to come.

I'm sure whatever improvements are made will be very nice. No rush though. Although I'm new to Fantasy Grounds, I have played many MMOs in my life. One thing is for sure; I would choose to wait for a good update rather than to get a half hearted one now, every time.

I also understand a developer not wanting to put to much info out there for reasons already stated. To many times I have seen gamers turn into angry lynch mobs because a developer had failed to meet a goal that the players was looking forward to. All of a sudden the developer is a lying no-good so and so and half of the player base is going to quit because the developers are not omnipotent beings who can make everyone happy with a single wave of a magic wand.

I'm sure the Devs are working hard at it. They have my full support and my thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The bottom line is, people should buy Fantasy Grounds for what it offers today. While we are hard at work on the Unity build, our goal is not to use this new platform in development as a marketing ploy to promise improvements to new users before actually delivering them.
    I find this to be a very healthy marketing strategy.

This is a fair response, and I would like to amend my snobbish entitled attitude from my first post. To be honest, an actual timeline is probably less important than an occasional, "hey guys, we're still working on this". I do love this product and find it to be a much more functional and affordable solution to the alternatives out there. Probably just overexcited about the possibilities, as with a music band, just can't wait til the next album or concert. Gluttonous lout....
    Kind Regards, MarkS

Thread Information