5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Creating Maps for Fantasy Grounds

I use Campaign Cartographer 3 to make Maps. I recreated several maps for someone who uses FG. Seems they need resizing and there is an Issue with grids on Maps and FG grids aligning. Is there a way of not using grids in FG and it still work?

I save the maps at 72 DPI. Grid is set at 5' in CC3.
    Is there a specific size a map needs to be?
    What is the best DPI to use 50, 72, 100, or something else?

To be Honest I don't use FG so I have no idea how to make Maps.
    However i do make maps and sell so how would I go about creating maps you could use?
    On RPGDriveThru I provide grid and no grid versions of the maps. Sadly until I get a Newer system I can't save higher than 72 DPI yet.

There is a Map Align tool for FG https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...gn-map-to-grid

When I'm in trouble with applying grid it helps me to calulate proper map & grid size to pick, very good tool.
    English is not my native language, I apologize for any grammar mistakes or awkward choice of words.

I often build the maps in cc3 without a grid on the actual map. That way I can just set the grid size in FG to whatever scale I want
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Blog Entries
    50px or 100px to a 5ft square seems to work the best

Quote Originally Posted by kane280484 View Post

There is a Map Align tool for FG https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...gn-map-to-grid

When I'm in trouble with applying grid it helps me to calulate proper map & grid size to pick, very good tool.
    Thank you
    I will pass that on to them.
    Since I don't use FG it won't really help me design maps for users.

Quote Originally Posted by Skellan View Post
    I often build the maps in cc3 without a grid on the actual map. That way I can just set the grid size in FG to whatever scale I want
    Why I always provide a Grid and No Grid Version

Go with 50 pixels per 5 foot. Don't put a grid on the map, but put a single 5 foot (50 pixel) square in the corner of the map that would align to a proper grid. i.e. build the map in CC3 with a grid, make a one square image on the map that ties in with the grid, and then remove the CC3 grid before exporting from CC3. See an example of this here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post119323
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So It seems 50 or 100 Works Best

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jpstodwftexas View Post
    So It seems 50 or 100 Works Best
    they are the most common sizes used. they dont actually work better than anything else as such but moving towrds the most commonly used format makes sense.
    you can put a grid on your map if that is your preference.
    there should be no grid alignment issues with a map you have made yourself - it is older scans of maps and older hand drawn maps where the grids are not uniform across the page that FG struggles with.

I prefer 50px to keep the file size down and i tend to export for FG in pretty low res (you can use gimp or other software to do this step) - try going as low as jpg 40% and you will see a massive saving is file size (making FG run happier) with some quality loss. if the quality loss is too great try 50%/60%/70% but stay with jpg files.

So I should not be saving them as PNG

Thread Information