DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Headless remote host possible? (New to Fantasy Grounds)

tl;dr: I want to run Fantasy Grounds as a headless server on a BSD host (WINE or VMs are an option), and connect to it as GM. Is this possible?

Why? I have an in-person gaming group that meets pretty frequently. It isn't uncommon for a couple of players to have a schedule conflict though, so in this case, they dial in, usually via Roll20, but I'm looking at maybe using Fantasy Grounds instead. (Both certainly have their strengths)
    I can't reconfigure the router where we meet, however, so running a server on my laptop would be useless.

Since Fantasy Grounds uses a client/sever model anyways, using a remote server would solve this issue, and give remote players a much better connection to dial into. The perfect win/win scenario.

If this isn't possible, it really seems like a wasted opportunity given that FG uses the client/server model anyways - maybe it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

I've done it using VPN on the Linux server. Run FG on the Linux box under VPN, then connect to the VPN server from your laptop from anywhere. Screen redraws can be a pain if you're on a slow network, however.

Can you edit and upload new resources in this fashion? Or are you limited to what's already on the server?

Is connecting as a GM an option?

If the FG server running under VPN is hosting the game, then anyone who has access to VPN can become the GM. VPN has no inherent method of sharing files, so you're limited to what you can do with Linux normally. I use rsync to move files back and forth between my laptop and the Linux server.

Well, as I posted in another threat recently hehe... a pocket router is cheap and easy. You can make your own small network hotspot. But, if you have a home PC to host with, why not Teamviewer into it?

Teamviewer is really amazing. And free. And amazing.......
    i3ullseye

~ You're pretty good, but me? I'm magic!

Ultimate License holder

So basically there is no headless option, only some RDP/VNC option. Would have been clearer if stated rather than mentioning workarounds.

Unfortunately, the only server based option currently is R20. I'm looking forward towards HouseRule however, an up and coming alternative server based option.

Disclaimer: I own multiple VTTs and use each for their respective specialties.
    Last edited by Ken L; February 25th, 2016 at 01:17.

Uggh, hate server based software when someone else controls the server. I don't like giving away my private stuff to a third party.

Thread Information