STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Darnit! How many centimeters are there in a liter again? I can't keep metric straight....hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by jshauber View Post
    Having a system where things are all divisible by ten also makes WAY to much sense to implement ;P
    See, that's the problem.. it makes sense. Try a setup where it makes no sense and you will get people following you forever.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

Quote Originally Posted by mghauber View Post
    Darnit! How many centimeters are there in a liter again? I can't keep metric straight....hahahaha
    Assuming you're talking cubic centimeters, than the answer is 1000 - 1 cm^3 = 1 mililetre (ml), and by definition 1000ml = 1l.

And I know you were joking, but that's the point: how easy the Metric System is - so let me ask you this (retorical question): how many inches (cubic, obviously) are there in a gallon (I know the answer BTW, but it aint a simple calculation)?
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Imperial gallon, metric gallon, or redneck gallon?

Quote Originally Posted by jshauber View Post
    Having a system where things are all divisible by ten also makes WAY to much sense to implement ;P
    Why not have a system where things are all divisible by two?...

-PopinFRESH

Quote Originally Posted by mghauber View Post
    Imperial gallon, metric gallon, or redneck gallon?
    I rest my case, m'lud!
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Quote Originally Posted by Alduin Starborn View Post
    I'm playing ol' good D&D, but I'm not used to work with imperial units (why?! Why do you insist on using weird units?! ). Either I used translated books in the past or simply made my own equipment spreadsheets.
    Trust me or not, I'm playing all kind of DnD for like 16 years now (oh my God I'm old) and I got used to imperial system so much, I sometimes use it instead of metric in everyday life. We were laying down some ethernet cables at work and a lad asked me
    - Dude, how long cable you need there?
    - Umm, about 15-20 feet I guess
    He poped his head out of a hole in the floor he sat in and gave me that look 'Dude stop fooling around'.

I just play do much D&D that imperial units are first thing that comes to my mind when it comes to measuring height and distance.
    English is not my native language, I apologize for any grammar mistakes or awkward choice of words.

Quote Originally Posted by kane280484 View Post
    Trust me or not, I'm playing all kind of DnD for like 16 years now (oh my God I'm old)
    Come and bitch when you can claim you've been playing DnD for 34 years! (Damn whipper-snapper! Back in my day....)

Quote Originally Posted by kane280484 View Post
    and I got used to imperial system so much, I sometimes use it instead of metric in everyday life. We were laying down some ethernet cables at work and a lad asked me
    - Dude, how long cable you need there?
    - Umm, about 15-20 feet I guess
    He poped his head out of a hole in the floor he sat in and gave me that look 'Dude stop fooling around'.

I just play do much D&D that imperial units are first thing that comes to my mind when it comes to measuring height and distance.
    Quite frankly, anyone who works in IT should be a RPGer anyway, so it doesn't matter whether we work in Imperial or Metic - that's the sign that you're working with a pro!
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Dude, don't blame the Commonwealth (of Australia - or even the British Commonwealth, for that matter) - we switched to the metric system before I was born (circa 1966, I think),
    Didn't know that, I learned something then.

and I got used to imperial system so much, I sometimes use it instead of metric in everyday life.
    You probably have always being playing with the US books then. I switched from italian translated ones no more than 4 years ago, furthermore i do not play much anymore (but I have been playing D&D for long too), so I do not get the chance to get accustomed to the imperial unit system.

I can't wait to see republicans and democrats fight over this during the US presidential election run
    Last edited by Alduin Starborn; February 3rd, 2016 at 09:38.

See the thing is that metric is the "official" measurement system of the US, but it's voluntary for everyone that isn't directly involved with the federal government. We're doing some weld fixturing for a government contractor, and the parts they want to produce are in metric, they want inch fixtures for the people on the floor and it's a damn pain in the ***.

Thread Information