5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Displaying mass and length units according to SI

I'm new to FG and even after browsing through the wiki I cannot seem to find an answer to the following question:

Is there a way to display weight/load in [kg] and speed/radius/etc. in [m]?

Thank you

Hi Alduin,

No, not easily. Fantasy RPGs have traditionally used the Imperial system for measurements, and so FG generally defaults to that.

I'm currently working on an Extension which will allow the GM to define any measurement system they want and to convert automatically from one system to the next, but its a fair way off yet.

May I ask why you'd like to use the SI system? Is their a particular RPG that you're playing that uses it?

Oh, and Welcome! to the Community

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

I'm playing ol' good D&D, but I'm not used to work with imperial units (why?! Why do you insist on using weird units?! ). Either I used translated books in the past or simply made my own equipment spreadsheets.
    I was simply wondering if there was the option to use SI units, since at first glance it does not seem a big deal to convert units before printing them on screen.
    It is no big deal anyway, I'll patiently wait for your Extension

Quote Originally Posted by Alduin Starborn View Post
    imperial units (why?! Why do you insist on using weird units?! ).
    I suppose two reasons - (1) RPGs were primarily invented in the USA, and the USA uses Imperial measurements, and (2) Fantasy RPGs are normally set in the past, so using "old" Imperial Units helps the flavour of those olden times.

Mind you, I once ran a game set in the land of the Incas/Olmecs, so I researched their calendar and measurement systems and made my players use that. It was fun and really captured the flavour, but then again I've been accused of having no life (see here).
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

I'm playing ol' good D&D, but I'm not used to work with imperial units (why?! Why do you insist on using weird units?! ). Either I used translated books in the past or simply made my own equipment spreadsheets.
    I was simply wondering if there was the option to use SI units, since at first glance it does not seem a big deal to convert units before printing them on screen.
    It is no big deal anyway, I'll patiently wait for your Extension
    You don't really need to do any converting since you can just treat the units as SI rather than imperial. All you need weight for is to have an idea of what a PC is carrying and if the amount carried exceeds a threshold then things happen. It doesn't matter whether that threshold or the weight of the items is measured in Kg, lbs or even cubits. They are just numbers. Same really for distances; it doesn't really matter whether you think in terms of feet or metres just think of it as distance. If you 'translate' everything from feet to metres you are still being true to the scale of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    I suppose two reasons - (1) RPGs were primarily invented in the USA, and the USA uses Imperial measurements, and (2) Fantasy RPGs are normally set in the past, so using "old" Imperial Units helps the flavour of those olden times.

Mind you, I once ran a game set in the land of the Incas/Olmecs, so I researched their calendar and measurement systems and made my players use that. It was fun and really captured the flavour, but then again I've been accused of having no life (see here).
    And I stick by my assessment
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Stupid as Jimmy Carter, the US should damn well be all switched to the metric system by now.

My dear commonwealth friends, it's a matter of habit. For you the use of imperial units is as natural as breathing, for me it is not.
    I do understand that using either unit types is irrelevant when considering game mechanics, but it's a bit annoying on a practical level. If you tell me that something weights 7 lb it means nothing, I have to convert the value (3.15 kg) to have an idea of what we are talking about.
    I agree that it does not require some superhuman feat to convert [lb] to [kg], but as I already said, it's a bit annoying.

I suppose two reasons - (1) RPGs were primarily invented in the USA, and the USA uses Imperial measurements, and (2) Fantasy RPGs are normally set in the past, so using "old" Imperial Units helps the flavor of those olden times.
    I know, I was simply provoking you However keep in mind that even in medieval times each country had its specific unit system, even if you consider only Europe .

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Stupid as Jimmy Carter, the US should damn well be all switched to the metric system by now.
    But that would require people to learn something new and different that is outside their comfort zone. HEAVEN FORBID!!!!

Luckily I went the science route for my education so am well versed in both systems and can actually do conversion easily.

Besides, Antiquated is always best....
    Ultimate License Holder--All can play in my games.

Need Help as a GM, PM me and I will give as much assistance as I can to get you started.

COMPLETED PROJECTS--Fifth Edition Foes (Frog God Games) 5E. Quests of Doom Volume 1 (Frog God Games) 5E, Quests of Doom Volume II (Frog God Games) 5E.

CURRENT PROJECTS--Quests of Doom 3 & 4 (Frog God Games) 5E.

My dear commonwealth friends ... I was simply provoking you
    Dude, don't blame the Commonwealth (of Australia - or even the British Commonwealth, for that matter) - we switched to the metric system before I was born (circa 1966, I think), and I believe most, if not all, of the British Commonwealth countries use the Metric system as well.

Its only the good ol' (stubborn) US of A and 2 other countries still clinging to the Antiquated Imperial System of Measurement - and no matter what jshauber says, Antiquated is NOT always best
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Its only the good ol' (stubborn) US of A and 2 other countries still clinging to the Antiquated Imperial System of Measurement - and no matter what jshauber says, Antiquated is NOT always best
    Try telling that to the ignorant masses here...I would bet that a large portion of the math teachers that would be responsible for teaching the metric system don't even know it.

Having a system where things are all divisible by ten also makes WAY to much sense to implement ;P
    Ultimate License Holder--All can play in my games.

Need Help as a GM, PM me and I will give as much assistance as I can to get you started.

COMPLETED PROJECTS--Fifth Edition Foes (Frog God Games) 5E. Quests of Doom Volume 1 (Frog God Games) 5E, Quests of Doom Volume II (Frog God Games) 5E.

CURRENT PROJECTS--Quests of Doom 3 & 4 (Frog God Games) 5E.

Thread Information