Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Which Rule set should I build my modules on?

I'm in the early planning stages for creating rule sets for the following three game systems:

World of Warcraft RPG

Star Wars Saga Edition RPG

Marvel superheroes RPG (From the late 80's).

It seems obvious i should use the 3.5 rule set as the starting point for the first two. Although I have seriously thought about creating 5E versions of those two systems. not sure if it is feasible or not.

the third game (Marvel Superheroes RPG) is a much different animal. It wasn't modeled after any other game system and it's core mechanic is an opposed roll using percentages and ranks. I'm not even sure if the Fantasy Grounds platform can accommodate the system.

Any thought from experienced users would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Hi Diceman Im not sure how far you have delved into this yet.

3.5e first loads CoreRPG and then loads up some extras for 3.5e.
    Im not familiar with any of these rulesets but I would look at it like this:

If the system is very much 3.5e based then you could build it like Pathfinder which loads CoreRPG then 3.5e and then Pathfinder with each one adding new features and changing some existing features.
    If the system is similar to 3.5e then you might make a copy of the 3.5e code, renaming it StarWarsSagaEdition and then start making your changes -or- you start with a blank StarWarsSagaEdition and you copy and write new code piece by piece as you go.

There's also a Star Wars Saga edition ruleset that's several years old on the wiki. You might be able to borrow some ideas from this one.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Star_Wars_Saga

Cheers,
    JPG

As MSH is one of the Rulesets I've got on my bucket list to do (ie I've taken a look at it), I'd suggest basing it off CoreRPG - in fact, I'd consider CoreRPG (& not 3.5E) for all of them.

Just my $0.02 worth

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

I believe that the World of Warcraft RPG is a fusion of 3.5 and Pathfinder or when I was building modules for it, I just used the 3.5e rules and adjusted as necessary.

Saga has it's own ruleset, so you should be able to do the building in there.

Core RPG would probably be helpful for the last 2.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

Thank you all for the input.
    Dulux-Oz can you elaborate why you suggest using coreRPG forall of them? Especially Warcraft and SW Saga as they both seem to be heavily modeled on 3.5. MSHRPG seems like the biggest challenge due to it's game mechanics.

Moon Wizard, I have downloaded the Saga ruleset from the wiki, but other than an interface there seems to be no data files. That's why I am considering trying to figure out how to create core modules(Players guide, GM guide, etc.).

Thanks again everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    I have downloaded the Saga ruleset from the wiki, but other than an interface there seems to be no data files.
    There are no data/library files as that material is covered by copyright. The base game rule mechanics can't be covered by copyright (have why the FG ruleset can be created), but any background/descriptive text is covered by copyright.

As an example, see the Star Wars Edge of the Empire community modules here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ibrary-modules They include base game mechanics entries, but no descriptive text for weapons, armour, items, skills, talents, critical results, etc., etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    That's why I am considering trying to figure out how to create core modules(Players guide, GM guide, etc.).
    Doing this will be fine for your own private games, but you wouldn't be able to share Star Wars Saga Edition guides due to the material being covered by copyright - unless it covered purely base game mechanics and no background, descriptive text or "setting" specific data/references.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    There are no data/library files as that material is covered by copyright. The base game rule mechanics can't be covered by copyright (have why the FG ruleset can be created), but any background/descriptive text is covered by copyright.

As an example, see the Star Wars Edge of the Empire community modules here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ibrary-modules They include base game mechanics entries, but no descriptive text for weapons, armour, items, skills, talents, critical results, etc., etc..

Doing this will be fine for your own private games, but you wouldn't be able to share Star Wars Saga Edition guides due to the material being covered by copyright - unless it covered purely base game mechanics and no background, descriptive text or "setting" specific data/references.
    It's going to be a challenge for me to get these three rule sets set up. Thank you for explaining what can and cannot be shared.

I recently played in a star wars saga campaign which now sadly ended because the DMīs work time shifted, it was alot of fun so i go with star wars. Force users are to overpowered thou >_>
    Ultimate License Holder!

Check out my maps here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...le-Maps-anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Moepsii View Post
    I recently played in a star wars saga campaign which now sadly ended because the DMīs work time shifted, it was alot of fun so i go with star wars. Force users are to overpowered thou >_>
    Last saga game I played in everyone had to be some sort of Jedi per the gm's instructions. So I created a jedi who posed as a gunslinger. Didn't even use a lightsaber. And yes Jedi are op in saga. But I still think it is a good system Only one better is West End games d6 game. And specifically for rebellion era games.

Thread Information