5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Converting my Tabletop Connect purchase to an FG purchase.

I just got a missive to apply my TC purchase credit towards FG. As I've not used FG before except as a player in someone else's game, I'm rather lost and in need of some suggestions.

First, what I signed up for in TC:
    DM (24 minis, 6 terrain sets)
    4 player licenses
    4 more terrain sets
    6 more sets of miniatures
    Adventure-a-week for 6 months (26 adventures)

Successful stretch goals: The Tombs map and terrain set, cards and decks (shuffling, customizing, etc.), 1 set of Okumarts Minis, Geomorphs.

Yes, I bought a lot.

Now, judging by what I've read so far, it looks like I need what, FG Ultimate?

Does this provide permanent server access for the $150, or do I need to also pay $10 per month for server access?

Is the only difference between FG and FG Ultimate the ability to bring in free players? Looking at the comparison list, that's what it seems like.

According to the Rolemaster and CoC add-ons, they require buying FG2, not FG. What's the difference? Is there an FG2 Ultimate parallel to the FG Ultimate? Given that, should I even bother buying FG, or do I require it to play Pathfinder but FG2 for CoC and Rolemaster?

Given that FG includes library modules with Open Game content (D&D and Pathfinder), does this include monsters? I can't tell looking at the features list.

I assume that terrain sets and the geomorphs are out the window at the moment with the nearest equivalent being buying maps.

If I want to run bog-standard Pathfinder adventures, I assume I'll need to get the D&D Complete Core Pack and the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. Yes?

If I don't want to spend all of my current credit, is it possible to use the remainder at the FG store for things not in the limited selection given in the Backerkit message?

If I get the Rolemaster add-on, where do I get FG2 (or possibly FG2 Ultimate) to run it?

The CoC add-on has the same notation that it requires FG2. So, should I even bother buying FG?

Summary guess:

DM + player licenses --> FG Ultimate or FG2 Ultimate
    Terrain sets + Geomorphs --> DEAD. Closest equivalent being buying maps.
    Miniatures --> D&D Core Pack & D&D Monster Pack (Yes, they also provide other things above *just* miniatures.)
    Adventure-a-week --> UNDEAD. Dead, but can be sort-of done by buying things from the store.

Thanks for reading; I hope someone's got some suggestions because I've an open Backerkit site that I've got to finish filling in.

(And hopefully answers to this'll help anyone else who's switching over.)

Blog Entries
    Hi and Welcome!

The only way there are monthly payments is if you go with a subscription. Since you seem to be talking about a purchase, there wouldn't be any monthly payment.

Ultimate means you can host "free"/demo users - as many as you want. That is the difference between Ultimate and Regular.

FG = FG2 they are the same program. You would need to buy the RMC ruleset but Pathfinder comes with FG via OGL I believe. No idea about CoC.

D&D Complete Core Pack and the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack are 5E not Pathfinder. If Pathfinder is what you want, you get it out of the box, and there are a number of community modules you can download with feats, equipment, spells, etc... for free.

You can get FG via the Store link at the top of the page, or via Steam - they are the same thing. Although, if you are applying a TC credit, probably you want to buy it here because what does Steam care about that.

Welcome again... nice to see another Rolemaster person.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thanks for the info.

So I'll need to buy FG Ultimate (probably non-Steam) for Pathfinder/3.5, but can skip the D&D Core stuff. Excellent, saves me $100 in credit to apply to other things. Similarly, I can skip all of the D&D stuff in the Backerkit missive because it'll likely all be 5.0.

So, the only things I'd need to pick up in excess would be Rolemaster Classic and maybe CoC ruleset.

$185. That leaves me with $105 of credit unapplied and makes the question "Can I hold that for the FG Store?" much more urgent.

Thanks again.

(I ran Rolemaster for a while, still have the books around somewhere. I later used the IC critical hit tables as critical hits in D&D. The excess over minimum to-hit determined severity (1-4 / 5-11 / 12-16 / 17-19 / 20 for A through E) Nothing says fun like having to use a spatula to scrape up your enemy.)

Blog Entries
    Hey there Reyder Axeman! Im not familiar with the TC credit so cant answer specifically about that.

You and JohnD are right about Ultimate. No extra payments to be made... although there is likely to be some sort of upgrade cost to Unity but nothing official/firm on that front yet. It could be another year away yet.

Rolemaster is great on FG.
    Call of Cthulhu is good (and 7e will be available sometime early next year).
    Pathfinder is included - not comprehensive but spells, equipment, monsters all are and there are other PGL (is that the right term?) modules available in the forums...

Id see if I could hang on to some credit because some of those things - 3d minis and stuff - are likely at some point to make their way into the Unity platform somewhere down the line... not straight away but once the Unity platform is public and stable, then they will likely build some (all?) of Carls cool things into the platform.

Purchase a gift certificate and send to yourself maybe?

So, I'm the 201st person to use BackerKit to transfer from TC to FG.

Blog Entries
    There are a few RM modules available for purchase as well.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyder Axeman View Post
    So, I'm the 201st person to use BackerKit to transfer from TC to FG.
    Cool - and again - welcome. FG and TTC are very different products and they both do things really well that the other doesnt. Hopefully we will see some really awesome things that offer the best of both in the future!

Thanks to assorted bits of help from others, I've now got it finished. Bought the game (and Rolemaster) and I've started looking at some other things to pick up. We shall see how it goes.

Blog Entries
    If you want some tips, PM me and we can meet on TS one evening.

- John Diefenbaker

Thread Information