Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Unable to connect with PureVPN

I am trying to get set up to host a game, but was unable to get port-forwarding to work so I saw on here that people are after getting around that with Purevpn, so I got it with the port-forwarding add-on and the Dedicated IP. but still unable to connect.

-connection is set to private.
    -canyouseeme.org fails to see port 1802
    -fg connection test fails
    - both internal and external ips on the fg launcher is the same same my Dedicated IP.

I hope that someone can give me some advice to get it working before I give up and try to get the refund from purevpn

Welcome to the forums.

Was there a specific reason you moved straight to using a VPN (e.g. you know your public IP address is pooled with others, you’re on only an IPv6 connection, etc.)? Or did you just move to a VPN solution because you couldn’t get base port forwarding working?

There can be a few different things that will prevent FG from working correctly for a GM - and not all of these are port forwarding related. So there’s a chance that something on your PC is blocking the connection - security/AV application for example.

Read through some recent suggestions (multiple posts) from another user having issues with PureVPN here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post426116. You’ll notice that the final fix allowed them success even without PureVPN (post #28).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Welcome to the forums.

Was there a specific reason you moved straight to using a VPN (e.g. you know your public IP address is pooled with others, you’re on only an IPv6 connection, etc.)? Or did you just move to a VPN solution because you couldn’t get base port forwarding working?

There can be a few different things that will prevent FG from working correctly for a GM - and not all of these are port forwarding related. So there’s a chance that something on your PC is blocking the connection - security/AV application for example.

Read through some recent suggestions (multiple posts) from another user having issues with PureVPN here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post426116. You’ll notice that the final fix allowed them success even without PureVPN (post #28).
    The reason I got the VPN was because I saw someone say on the forum that if when you do tracert 8.8.8.8 in CMD and the first 4 lines shows very different addresses that it is something to do with the internet provider. i just tried the steps that was in the post you sent and it still doesn't connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodlum675 View Post
    The reason I got the VPN was because I saw someone say on the forum that if when you do tracert 8.8.8.8 in CMD and the first 4 lines shows very different addresses that it is something to do with the internet provider. i just tried the steps that was in the post you sent and it still doesn't connect.
    What is the result of your tracert? It’s only very specific IP address ranges that are relevant.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    What is the result of your tracert? It’s only very specific IP address ranges that are relevant.
    here they are

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 1 ms 1 ms SAGEMCOM [192.168.2.1]
    2 3 ms 2 ms 3 ms loop0.57w.ba09.stjh.nf.aliant.net [142.163.63.12]
    3 12 ms 36 ms 11 ms ae15-182.dr02.stjh.nf.aliant.net [142.176.208.61]
    4 3 ms 3 ms 6 ms be3-50.dr01.stjh.nf.aliant.net [142.166.181.49]
    5 18 ms 12 ms 13 ms be1.dr01.crbk.nf.aliant.net [142.166.149.126]
    6 12 ms 13 ms 16 ms ae3-50.dr02.crbk.nf.aliant.net [142.166.181.54]
    7 24 ms 37 ms 22 ms et-0-3-0.cr02.hlfx.ns.aliant.net [142.166.181.113]
    8 38 ms 37 ms 34 ms hg-0-2-0-0-50.cr01.hlfx.ns.aliant.net [142.166.149.93]
    9 69 ms 42 ms 40 ms be19.bx01.nycm.ny.aliant.net [207.231.227.110]
    10 39 ms 40 ms 38 ms 72.14.220.96
    11 41 ms 39 ms 42 ms 108.170.248.97
    12 39 ms 42 ms 39 ms 209.85.245.99
    13 40 ms 41 ms 39 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

Your tracert looks fine; there are no reserved addresses that I can see so there's no reason that you can't port forward due to your ISP sharing IP addresses. Nor does it look like there is more than one device between you and the internet.

In your original post you didn't mention whether you had set a rule allowing FG through your AV firewall. Perhaps that might be the issue. You may also want to share a screenshot of your PF rule so we can have a look at that as well.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Yep, as Zacchaeus says, the tracert looks OK. Please share the screenshot he requests.

You mentioned in post #1 that you saw the same IP address in both the internal and external field in FG. Is this the case without PureVPN? Make a note of the external IP address for the next step...

Start up a campaign within FG, and once it’s fully loaded go to canyouseeme.org - is the IP address listed there the same as the one shown in the FG external address field? With a camapign fully loaded in FG, now try a port 1802 check from canyouseeme.org

the modem/router I use is the bell homehub 3000 if that matters

portforward rule
    https://imgur.com/B4Ackkg

and firewall rule
    https://imgur.com/TPqzwA2

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Yep, as Zacchaeus says, the tracert looks OK. Please share the screenshot he requests.

You mentioned in post #1 that you saw the same IP address in both the internal and external field in FG. Is this the case without PureVPN? Make a note of the external IP address for the next step...

Start up a campaign within FG, and once it’s fully loaded go to canyouseeme.org - is the IP address listed there the same as the one shown in the FG external address field? With a camapign fully loaded in FG, now try a port 1802 check from canyouseeme.org
    yes with purevpn the ip address are the same, but when I disconnect from it the address are
    -internal 192.168.2.52
    -external 47.55.219.209

thank you guys for your help

and yes the external is the same on can you see me, but the test fails
    Last edited by Hoodlum675; March 17th, 2019 at 19:01.

They all look good (assuming the firewall rule is pointing at your FantasyGrounds.exe file).

Do you have other security/AV apps on your computer? It’s quite common for these to block lesser known apps like FG. Even if they’re disabled they've been known to cause issues.

If you have another computer in your house, you could try installing the demo on that and connecting to 192.168.2.52 - this will help to identify if it’s a local computer issue or something in your router.

Thread Information