DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Graphical Inventory

On another platform I had a script that implemented a graphical inventory.

1.) Is it possible to have an extension for fantasy grounds that does the same?

2.) Is it possible for it to be extensible (add graphical images without changing the extension base [no hard coding])

3.) Is it even worth it given the unity overhaul, (assuming they have some kind of image box for items)

1) Yes, you can write an extension to do something like this in FG.

2) No. The current application only allows adding images to the campaign images and maps folder. My suggestion would be to define a basic icon graphic for each item "type" (and/or maybe "subtype" too) to use with the graphical inventory dragging.

3) The goal with Unity is provide as much backward compatibility as possible with the current ruleset API, so the code should be similar.

Regards,
    JPG

Regarding #2, is it possible to write an extension to look through a module's XML entries and load images from there (dictionary relationship)? In this fashion I could have 'modules' of images I can selectively load.

IE: have some validation to run through modules to see if they're compatible for hot-load by importing modules.

In addition, if this is possible, will it be possible for the extension to be notified when there's a new module available or is it only on load (if above is possible)
    Last edited by Ken L; November 6th, 2015 at 19:01.

It depends on if you are looking for images just to display (i.e. handouts, see what your item looks like) or as icons for a paper doll inventory management system (i.e. small images for dragging around).

If the former, then a library of "image" data nodes would provide what you need.
    If the latter, I'd be concerned that the "image" type controls would not work very well, though I haven't tested this. That's why I was suggested registering "icon" assets, which can be referenced by name as well.

Regards,
    JPG

I'm thinking more of a mini-icon akin to a character sheet's portrait about 60x60 px in dimension in the upper right corner of the item window.

As far as icon assets, Ideally this thumbnail would also serve as the item's draggable link to let others reference it in chat.

More on the library option, If I can access these data nodes in the module, can I tie this extension to add an option to add/change/remove this image (which essentially overrides a link). This would open a dialog with a categorized list of item images to assign to it which are pulled from the searched through modules loaded.

Thread Information