DICE PACKS BUNDLE

White Towel; Duplicate+Renamed 5E.pak results in lost PHB Module

I could make a novel informing the things I've tested and reviewed to resolve this issue that's tasked me for several hours this morning and last night and the night before but I'm just going to put it simply and brace for the chewing out of asking a question I'm so very sure was previously asked and resolved but I had failed to find. If I can't find a thread/resolution for this then that tells me I probably have an awry idea of what I'm doing and it is time to ask. If I'm asking how many licks it takes to get to center of tootsie pop and it's really how many tootsie licks it takes to pop the center... I'll never figure it out. I could very well be forging an incorrect path to my desired result here.

•Wanted to add some damage types to 5E
    -Success; By simply adding to the damagetypes in data_common.lau
    •Read that updates can overwrite this modification and to Duplicate+Rename the modified .pak
    -Success;Renamed and load able by a new campaign but extensions don't link
    •Duplicate+Rename the extensions files and redirect
    -Success; Extensions linked
    •Went to town creating a story, NPCs, items, etc when I found myself opening the library and attempting to open the little book on the 5E PHB module
    -All modules except stock modules are missing

I can not get 5E PHB to be an activate able module. Did all sorts of testing with the contents of the Fantasy Grounds folder and the contents of the Fantasy Grounds AppData but efforts where for not. I was able to get extension modules to appear but not the 5E Deluxe Player's Hand Book or the Basic Player's Hand Book for that matter.

I do know I haven't completely hosed it because I can change it back to 5E.pak, it loads the PHB and my additional damage types are functional.

I'm coming at this with an Actions Script 2 and 3, and 1990s html scripting foundation. That's right I'm talking 1990s html, just enough html knowledge to create a black page with centered neon green text perhaps maybe an image with a single 5px bordered table improperly used as a picture frame, level of html skill.

Blog Entries
    Hello and welcome Ego-Tripical.
    The 5e official content is set to work only with a ruleset called 5e.
    Cant change that.
    But... what you can do is this...
    the ruleset name simply comes from the filename or folder name - eg 5e.pak or \5e
    However FG will load an unpacked ruleset over a packed one.
    So even though future updates will overwrite your 5e.pak file they wont overwrite your unpacked \5e folder... i hope that makes sense?
    However...
    You wont get future updates to the 5e ruleset... so what you might say as you have a ruleset that works your way already... but as the 5e ruleset evolves so will the PHB and MM and especially the DMG...

So ultimately what you really want to do is convert your changes into an extension...

/5E understood, I can work with that. It is just adding a few damage types. If/when an update hits I can't be with out I can add the damage types again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ego-Tripical View Post
    /5E understood, I can work with that. It is just adding a few damage types. If/when an update hits I can't be with out I can add the damage types again.
    Yes you can - but do look into making it an extension for your learning - its not too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    But... what you can do is this...
    the ruleset name simply comes from the filename or folder name - eg 5e.pak or \5e
    However FG will load an unpacked ruleset over a packed one.
    So even though future updates will overwrite your 5e.pak file they wont overwrite your unpacked \5e folder... i hope that makes sense?
    However...
    WOW .....Thanks damned I did not know this. I was under the impression the the game would only load a compressed .mod file. I have been writing a big world reference mod for the last month now and been zipping /rename and cut paste to mod dir after every little change. So now I can edit and test easy. Just package working sets and I go.....
    Final product will be a mod but sure gonna save a TON OF TIME
    Thanks again.....

Blog Entries
    this my other big time saver... this one saves me oodles of time if you are doing any coding - including graphical skinning etc...
    type /reload in the chat window and dont press enter (and yes Nick - it *really* does matter on this one!) and drag it down to one of your hotkeys...
    once youve looked at the results of your new code and youve written the next bit - press the hotbar key of function key and it reloads for you nice and quick.
    This doesnt help for modules - for modules you need to go into module activation and close and reopen the module...

Thanks. Ok maybe you can help with this one. I am really confused.
    Working on Add Image links to some of the stuff in my module. Got it to work on the fisrt one but the second fails.
    image info.

Code:
    <pics static="true">
    		<id-00001>
            <image type="image">
              <bitmap>graphics.spellsinger.png</bitmap>		 
            </image>
    		 <name type="string">Spellsinger</name>
            </id-00001>
    		<id-00002>
            <image type="image">
              <bitmap>graphics.bard.png</bitmap>
            </image>
            <name type="string">Bard</name>
    		</id-00002>				
    </pics>
    First Image Link
    Code:
    <spellsinger>		
    					<name type="string">Spellsinger</name>
    					<text type="formattedtext">
    						<image00001>
    						<linklist>
    							<link class="imagewindow" recordname="pics.id-00001"></link>
    							<name type="string">Spellsinger (Image)</name>
    						</linklist>
    						</image00001>					

<h>Spellsinger</h>
    Second Image Link

Code:
    <bard>
    				<name type="string">Bard</name>
    				<text type="formattedtext">
    					<image00002>
    						<linklist>
    							<link class="imagewindow" recordname="pics.id-00002"></link>
    							<name type="string">Bard (Image)</name>
    						</linklist>
    					</image00002>

<p><b>Alignment:</b> Any nonlawful.</p>
    Both Images are in the graphics subdir in the module.
    Spellsinger image widow opens and views the image, but the bard window opens EMPTY and console error message is
    DatabseError image: Invalid file [graphics.bard.png]

Thread Information