STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... Last

Forgotten Realms - Lost Mine Campaign

I have started this thread for game discussion from with thread from the LFG forum https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...lemaster/page5

Character generation went well last night ,looking at the sheets in the morning I noticed that we haven't been adding the level class bonuses for skills

I will put up the server tonight if anyone wants to continue preparing their character

As we've moved to a new thread I'll ask my questions here ...

I recall that an item doesn't affect your Encumbrance if it's something that you're wearing. Is this true of RMC? Does a backpack and/or weapons count as something you're wearing?

Also, do we un-check the Encumbrance box for items that our horse would be carrying or items in our backpacks that we'd drop before engaging in combat?

What pricing should we use for buying the equipment? Rural/Town/City etc?

Logo Design, Page Design of Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
    Logo re-vamp of Shadow World.
    Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
    Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX

Check out my online Sketchpad.

character gen questions

Craggles has a few questions, I will atempt to answer them , any else can feel free to make a commert if its rules related as i don't consider my self an authority on Rolemaster

"If I chose to have my Armour to be the +10 Magical Item, would that +10 be for DB or Manoeuvring in Armour or both?"

Both
    "I've marked my secondary weapon as a Scimitar but I want it to be a similar style to the elven blades in LotR and the Hobbit: https://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/s...a_6094601.jpeg.

Is it closer to a Scimitar, Falchion or Broad Sword? I will alter the stats to whichever you choose.

I'd also like my 3rd Weapon (Dagger) to be in the same style if that's ok (it doesn't do anything differently, it will just 'look' different)? "

Your link didn't work but I believe there is optional weapon from Shadow World in the rule set called a Kynac you could use

"
    Will I need to have a separate skill to throw the knife and also use it as a stabbing weapon or does the Weapon Skill apply to all types of use?"

yes unless you want some big fat minuses when you make a attack roll

"Will I need Herb/Poison Lore in order to use my Special Item? (Still deciding what it should be)."
    see my previous answer regarding daggers above

"I completely forgot to add any Language ranks - How many languages are in use in the area?"

not just you we all did . Humans start with two languages every one else in the party speaks three. All the humans will speak common as will any one else who has regular contact with what passes for human civilazation. Every one else will have racial tongue

"For my starting equipment, will my Trading Skill allow me to get better deals or will that only take effect 'in' game?" in game

My driving goal (according to the PDF pre-gen background) is to slay the dragon. In order to do this, I'll need to gain any advantage (hence my choice of adding my 4 ranks Hobby skill to Lore: Obscure for Dragons) and the Lvl20 Poison 'Ul-acaana' might be VERY helpful. Am I able to coat it on one of my Arrows? How many dosages would I have and how many Arrows could be coated?

With my Lore: Obscure skill, would I know what type of weapons would hurt it (like needing Magical or Holy for instance)? If it needs a dice roll on my skill you can do it on my behalf.
    I have a +10 Magical Bow and +10 Non-Magical Armour. I'm still debating where to use my +5 Magical item.

I'm done for the night (my brain is pounding) but I will likely need to redo my skills a little as I was re-arranging a few ranks here and there to make Nuala a little more balanced (and to learn all the skills I would have picked up while working on the docks for several years like Sailing, Rowing, Swimming, Diving and Rope Mastery for instance) and I may have taken some away from a Primary Skill and inadvertently put them in one of my Secondary Skills and/or vice versa.

There is a chance it's okay as I made sure they were going to the correct Primary/Secondary Categories the first few times but I can't be sure of the rest.
    "
    I will have to consult my copy of Creatures and treasures

"I recall that an item doesn't affect your Encumbrance if it's something that you're wearing. Is this true of RMC? Does a backpack and/or weapons count as something you're wearing?

Also, do we un-check the Encumbrance box for items that our horse would be carrying or items in our backpacks that we'd drop before engaging in combat?

What pricing should we use for buying the equipment? Rural/Town/City etc?"

part one don't know I'll have to check, point 2 about dropping back packs, there will probably be plenty of opportunity whee you need to make skill rolls with your back pack on or you get surprised in the first round of combat so don't untick it. As for location of buying goods use as per your background

Hi Hawkwind,

Thanks for the reply but the questions don't stop there!

DB and manoeuvring - cool! I will update my sheet tonight.

If I recall correctly, there's a long and a short version of Kynacs so that could work out well (unless the Short Kynac's are more like the damage of a Short Sword instead of a Dagger). It's only a cosmetic change I'm requesting so I'm happy either way.

I will rename my current 'Weapon 3 - Dagger' to be of the throwing variety ('Weapon 3 - Dagger Thrown') and I will research using the Dagger's in Melee from level 2 onwards. Would that be the cost of my 'Weapon 4' skill or would it still use the 'Weapon 3' skill (although I think the Fighter's Weapon 3 and 4 may actually be the same cost as each other anyway)?

What category would Herb/Poison Lore be - General, Obscure etc? It's one I will add moving forward - it'll be some time until we encounter the dragon I'm sure.

What I've done for 'Dragon Lore' is to simply add the ranks to 'Lore: Obscure'. Should I create a brand new skill called 'Lore: Dragons' and have the same cost as 'Lore: Obscure'? Also, should I do the same for a 'Herb/Poison Lore' and should they be two different skills (a 'Lore: Herb/Poison' or 'Lore: Herb' & 'Lore: Poison')? I can't remember seeing it in the skill list last night but RMFRP system has a 'Use Poison' skill on top of the 'Lore' skill - is RMC the same as well or would I only need to add a skill in 'Use Poison' and not bother with 'Poison Lore' as I'd start with the Poison anyway?

I know RMFRP uses separate skills for everything but you also start with loads more Dev Points as well.

The first question regarding the Poison was supposed to be whether you'd allow such a high level poison as a starting item before I digressed to arrow coating queries. It was my Herb/Bread/Poison item from one of my background rolls. I would choose a completely different one otherwise (perhaps healing) as I doubt anything else on the list would even make a dragon blink.

We start with 2 languages automatically so we don't need to spend our Dev Points on those (unless we wanted to learn extra languages)? Spoken & Written to what level - S8/6W is the RMFRP default or are the Spoken & Written skills one combined skill in RMC? (I'm a RMFRP man and I don't own any of the RMC books to check).

Are the languages simply Common, Elvish, Dwarfish, Halfling etc or do each race have several different sub-dialects as well? Would we have access to any Orkish or other 'evil' race's languages?

City equipment prices it is!

So backpack items will stay ticked but I'll leave the horse items un-ticked (like bedroll, pots & pans etc) - that is if we'll be using horses (I think I can afford at least a light horse (fingers crossed) - I've got a Medium Horse on my sheet as a placeholder but that'll change once I've tallied my equipment - it's a shame that Fantasy Grounds doesn't automatically deduct money every time you add some equipment into your inventory).

Redoing my skills when the server's next up should be a lot quicker and I'll make sure to keep the Primary and Secondary Dev Points where they should be. Doesn't Fantasy Grounds add the correct Profession Bonuses to the skills automatically? I'll add those from Character Law tonight as well.

Sorry for the long post again! I've coloured this text so your replies will show up easier.
    Last edited by craggles; September 14th, 2015 at 09:51.

Quote Originally Posted by craggles View Post
    Hi Hawkwind,

Thanks for the reply but the questions don't stop there!

DB and manoeuvring - cool! I will update my sheet tonight.

This might work better to see the type of curved blade I was inquiring about which is why I was initially thinking of a scimitar:

My sword would be the medium sized one and my dagger would be a smaller version of the 2 small knives. ...actually I could probably afford 2 daggers come to think of it.

If I recall correctly, there's a long and a short version of Kynacs so that could work out well (unless the Short Kynac's are more like the damage of a Short Sword instead of a Dagger). It's only a cosmetic change I'm requesting so I'm happy either way.

I will rename my current 'Weapon 3 - Dagger' to be of the throwing variety ('Weapon 3 - Dagger Thrown') and I will research using the Dagger's in Melee from level 2 onwards. Would that be the cost of my 'Weapon 4' skill or would it still use the 'Weapon 3' skill (although I think the Fighter's Weapon 3 and 4 may actually be the same cost as each other anyway)?

What category would Herb/Poison Lore be - General, Obscure etc? It's one I will add moving forward - it'll be some time until we encounter the dragon I'm sure.

What I've done for 'Dragon Lore' is to simply add the ranks to 'Lore: Obscure'. Should I create a brand new skill called 'Lore: Dragons' and have the same cost as 'Lore: Obscure'? Also, should I do the same for a 'Herb/Poison Lore' and should they be two different skills (a 'Lore: Herb/Poison' or 'Lore: Herb' & 'Lore: Poison')? I can't remember seeing it in the skill list last night but RMFRP system has a 'Use Poison' skill on top of the 'Lore' skill - is RMC the same as well or would I only need to add a skill in 'Use Poison' and not bother with 'Poison Lore' as I'd start with the Poison anyway?

I know RMFRP uses separate skills for everything but you also start with loads more Dev Points as well.

The first question regarding the Poison was supposed to be whether you'd allow such a high level poison as a starting item before I digressed to arrow coating queries. It was my Herb/Bread/Poison item from one of my background rolls. I would choose a completely different one otherwise (perhaps healing) as I doubt anything else on the list would even make a dragon blink.

We start with 2 languages automatically so we don't need to spend our Dev Points on those (unless we wanted to learn extra languages)? Spoken & Written to what level - S8/6W is the RMFRP default or are the Spoken & Written skills one combined skill in RMC? (I'm a RMFRP man and I don't own any of the RMC books to check).

Are the languages simply Common, Elvish, Dwarfish, Halfling etc or do each race have several different sub-dialects as well? Would we have access to any Orkish or other 'evil' race's languages?

City equipment prices it is!

So backpack items will stay ticked but I'll leave the horse items un-ticked (like bedroll, pots & pans etc) - that is if we'll be using horses (I think I can afford at least a light horse (fingers crossed) - I've got a Medium Horse on my sheet as a placeholder but that'll change once I've tallied my equipment - it's a shame that Fantasy Grounds doesn't automatically deduct money every time you add some equipment into your inventory).

Redoing my skills when the server's next up should be a lot quicker and I'll make sure to keep the Primary and Secondary Dev Points where they should be. Doesn't Fantasy Grounds add the correct Profession Bonuses to the skills automatically? I'll add those from Character Law tonight as well.

Sorry for the long post again! I've coloured this text so your replies will show up easier.
    poison lore i suspect is obscure

elefs get three languages , no sub dialects and yes you can learn an evil race, you might even Know draconic

i will put the server up tonight

server up for character building
    Last edited by hawkwind; September 8th, 2015 at 20:16.

Thanks - I think I'm all done. It took a while but I re-did my skills so they're all good now but I really want more Secondary Skills. ;(

...Damn - except for Languages still!

All skills and equipment are done and it seems that worn clothing and armour doesn't count towards encumbrance but weapons and items do.

PS - I bought a horse and a wagon with my 30GP's as well as all my equipment.

I will try and put the server up tonight . Craggles do you have a name for your horse and the appropriate animal care and cart handling skills? Also any chance of you knocking up a token for them?

Also Chris as your character has a problem with body hair at full moons what sort of creature does he turn in to? Wolf?

Problem? The way dwarves are its probably difficult to tell that he has any more hair than usual. Now teeth and claws might give it away .

Wolf sounds good, nice and traditional.

Just as long as character doesn't waking up some mornings with significant memory gaps surrounded by a mound of half eaten body parts....

Thread Information