DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Thanks Damned.

I'll use Teamspeak if I need too but going back to early 2000 software I never liked to begin with I'm trying to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal66 View Post
    Sorry for bumping my own thread. One other issue I encountered with the purchased Hoard module is the npc / monster tokens came in really large. Several people told me to make sure Map Grids are on. Aren't the maps in the purchased modules set with grids? It was no problem just resizing the tokens but I'm clearly not understanding something.
    No. You'll have to set a grid. The map might have a grid drawn on it but that isn't FG's grid. Once you have set a grid place a token on it to make sure the scale is right. If it isn't then right click on the token and select release token scale. Right click again and select lock token scale. Then delete the token and drag it back on and the scale should be set. Don't forget also to lock tokens (right click and select lock tokens) so that you have control over movement.

Thanks Damned.

I'll use Teamspeak if I need too but going back to early 2000 software I never liked to begin with I'm trying to avoid.
    This all comes down to personal preference of course but in my 20 odd years of online gaming Teamspeak is consistently the best and most versatile of its type. Skype is to be avoided at all costs. Even things like Mumble or Ventrilo are better than Skype.

I don't want to turn this thread into a debate on what to use for voice chat but why is Skype to be avoided at all costs?

As you said personal preference. I've used Skype for voice over chat while playing AAA multiplayer games on the PC without issue but if off loading the VOIP to a dedicated server makes for a better experience using FG I'm not against it. There is also the factor of trying to explain to my players the use of Teamspeak, they aren't the brightest.

I don't want to turn this thread into a debate on what to use for voice chat but why is Skype to be avoided at all costs?

As you said personal preference. I've used Skype for voice over chat while playing AAA multiplayer games on the PC without issue but if off loading the VOIP to a dedicated server makes for a better experience using FG I'm not against it. There is also the factor of trying to explain to my players the use of Teamspeak, they aren't the brightest.
    Indeed, it's personal preference, and whatever experience you've had with whatever software you use. Skype, for me, hogged resources and was forever dropping/hanging/crashing and the quality of the voice was awful etc etc. Teamspeak worked right off the bat without ever having to fiddle with anything or go into settings other than to change the default push to talk. Now this was all years ago so the software may well have improved but as you say it is just personal experience and if I am asked I would always say Teamspeak.

FYI the HotDQ maps do have an FG grid on them. Make sure you have the "Token: Auto-scale to Grid" set to 80% or 100%. And yes the scale of the included tokens is huge. It looks like 100 pixel squares for medium sized creatures. I personally replaced all the HoTDQ tokens to get rid of all the letter tokens and to use tokens of the all the same style.

Its funny, I don't care if all the monsters use letters or if they are all graphics, but having mixed letters and graphics really annoys me.
    Last edited by Griogre; September 4th, 2015 at 02:19.

What about if they were all Klingon letters?

maj. It would be fine.

I finally ran my first session last night after buying the Ultimate License and had 5 players connect all of them with free licenses. I have some questions. I should note this is using the purchased D&d 5e PHB and also Hoard module.

1. We ran into some connection issues. One person was fine for 45 minutes, then his game kept disappearing then after 30 minutes was fine again and we didn't do anything. Weird thing is while his game disappeared he was still in the game from my view point. We did use Skype audio with me hosting both FG and Skype so not sure if that was an issue. Also 4 of my players are on Mac's. At another point people lost the map and it took various amounts of time for them all the synch again.

2. I had one person who when he targeted creatures the attacks rolls weren't against the creatures. The weird thing is if he did the targeting and I did the rolls from his sheet it worked. He was the only one having this problem and it drove us nuts trying to figure it out. I basically had to have him drag his attacks etc onto the creature tokens on the map.

3. Using the cast button for spells didn't check off the sorcerer or Warlock spell slots. Simple enough to check them ourselves but I thought I recalled it should do that automatically.

4. One combat encounter took the whole evening using the map. I assume this will get better with experience but the one thing I notice is as DM it' hard to fudge something if the combat is not going the players way.

Probably my biggest issue is figuring out what is automated and what isn't. Example my Paladin cast Seering Smite which is a complex spell in this game for me right now. First he cast it which essentially isn't doing anything with the cast button as far as i can tell.

Then he attacks using normal attack. Then he rolls damage from seering smite spell, then I apply effect from spell entry on to the target a troll. Then on the trolls next turn I was sure I would need to drag the icon off the player sheet to the troll for him to save but the effect automatically expired. I really have no clue if I did that right or why it expired.

I think learning what is automated and what isn't is going to be a huge challenge for me.
    Welcome to the fold of FG DMing! You're the person gaining the most from FG, congratulations! Seriously, I love seeing new DMs join. I know I'm a week behind on this, but I had sinus surgery last week and then I've been out of town, and I feel like all the old vets here should weigh in on questions. I'm sure I do a lot the same as other DMs, and some different:

1. On Skype: I hate it, because when we used it previously, someone is supporting the bandwidth load of it--Skype is not remotely hosted, at least it wasn't. I don't know if that's changed. We used RaidCall for the longest time because it's completely free, basically a Ventrilo clone (even the sounds) and you can have up to 200 people in your free channel, and have rooms, whispers etc. Love it. But now, since my face to face group moved to FG (as I moved away) we started using Google Hangouts, so we can see each other. Google Hangouts is perfect for us, but then we switched one more time to Roll20, because the video feed across the bottom is ideal for our stream. But that's what I'd recommend--Hangouts if you want video, RaidCall for just audio.

2. Sounds like the resolve-on-target crosshair was disabled on the Mod window. That's why it worked for you (since it was on on your client) but not for him. When I'm handling a Saving Throw attack on a character, I disable the resolve so it just puts the Save in chat without forcing them to roll. That way they can roll but know their target.

3. It doesn't auto-check it because in 5E you can use a different spell level than the spell--so it doesn't know which one to check. For example the 9 wizard in my group really likes casting a max level fireballs, and the warlock casts every spell @ 5th level. (Heck, he only has level 5 slots!)

4. Yes, combat encounters will get much faster, especially for 5E. My group plays every Tuesday for 2 hours, and when dungeon crawling they usually get through 4-5 combats in a night. If you are hiding GM rolls (I do, to simulate rolling behind my screen) but show the result of the roll (at the table I will just say "he rolls an 18 to hit"), then they won't see modifiers. So apply a negative to hit and you can skew the odds for them. For damage you can do the same. I typically don't bother though, I don't fudge a whole lot. 5E heroes get pretty tough, so I don't pull many punches. They fought 4 specters and 2 wraiths last Tuesday, which I was sure would be a murderous fight. Only two were hit, only one had life drain, and they curb-stomped the monsters. If you drop a monsters health, watch that you don't drop it enough to lower it's wound category or observant players will notice the change.

Yeah learning the automated is a process. A LOT is automated, so you'll get to where you're surprised when something isn't. Read the wiki Effects section and TRY some of them out, connecting to yourself as a player (connect to localhost) outside of game time. You can even use multiple characters on player client for testing. Just click the character portrait you want to control (can have different colored dice for them too).

My youtube archive of our stream is in my signature--it's a player view of our game--but there's aobut 20 sessions in there now, so you can see how we handle a lot of stuff. I'm going to make a DM-view one eventually, but probably just for a one-shot.
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

Thread Information