DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

I ran my first Fantasy Grounds game today...players loved it!

So, today I ran the first game I have ever run using the Fantasy Grounds program. I have the Ultimate license, and have my wife connecting from a laptop, and three friends from the West Coast connecting for a party of 4. I was apprehensive at first due to not having any real experience running FG...I've played in two FGDaze games, but other than a quick run through of the GURPS toolset in the FG2.x days, I'm pretty new at this.

I had set up the connection well beforehand, and made sure everyone could connect. Other than having issues getting pointers to work, and the targeting wouldn't take for some players, it went well. I know there is a ton of things it can do that I've not experienced yet, but my players absolutely loved it. In fact, they said "This is the program we've been looking for since the 1990s!" They are ecstatic over being able to run games, and said it felt just about as close as you can get to being a tabletop game.

Thanks for putting out a great product! It's been real hard to get an actual tabletop group together in the past year, due to real life commitments, etc. This software has taken care of that issue, and I see many, many hours in my future running games via FG!

GB
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (EDT) United States; GMT -4 hours

Game in Progress: AD&D 2e - Against the Zhentarim

Blog Entries
    Well done GunbunnyFuFu! Awesome news.

Almost guaranteed that the targeting issues were because either the player or the NPC didnt get added to Combat Tracker first and then dragged from Combat Tracker to the battle map. It gets easier very quickly. Its great that you got such a good response.

Yeah, if you don't drag the NPC to the Combat Track first and then to the map, they are not linked up together (the software sees them as separate objects).

Gratz on getting through the first game... glad that FG worked out so good for you.
    Proud Ultimate License Holder
    Also have bought a lot of other 5E and other , incl. Savage Worlds, Mutants & Masterminds, and Pathfinder 2e
    Central Time Zone (living in the USA, although born on the eastern shores of Canada)
    Have Played All D&D Editions except for 3/3.5 (am familiar with those rules, tho)

West Virginia (not the redneckish part), USA
    That's great. and sets me a bit more at ease as I'm running my first game on Tuesday with people from across the country. I've done a couple encounters before, but not taken on a module yet. Glad all of you share my opinion of FG. I think they have the right idea with what they're doing to ,ake online gaming a more pleasant experience for all of us
    No matter where you go, there you are !!
    Ultimate License

Blog Entries
    Congrats man!
    It gets easier to more you use it.
    Have fun!
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

BoomerET wishes more people could be as positive as GunBunnyFuFu.

Thanks GBFF,

BoomerET
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

I'm sure it'll get easier the more I use it. My players love it, and are talking about purchasing the full/ultimate versions to run their own games. Although we were over 2,000 miles apart, it really felt like we were at the same table. We were playing LMoP, and the players captured a goblin. Of course the Goblin didn't want to let on that he knew Common, so he only answered questions directed to him Goblin. By using the Language extension, one of the party members interrogated the gobbo, and the other translated the conversation for the other two players/characters (who didn't have it, and couldn't understand it). It was very, very amusing and the source of many, many laughs.

I'll work on the targeting issues (thanks for the tips...I do believe that was the issue). I had originally set up each character's hot buttons for them, but when they logged in and claimed the character the hot button settings didn't transfer...that was likely my biggest gripe of the evening (and that was a minute one).

Looking forward to running again! Again, thanks for the tips, tricks, and being such an awesome community.

GB
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Blog Entries
    Hot Keys wont transfer - they are stored locally in a hotkeys file and not stored in the database - but you can email the files to the players to manually copy in.

Would that be the hotkeys_host file, or some other file? And does that file contain all the keymappings for the campaign?

Blog Entries
    It will be in the %appdata%\Fantasy Grounds II\cache\<campaignname>\usersettings folder... you will need to experiment to see which exact file or files you need.

You will need to log out and back in each time you select a new character that you are building the hotkeys for.

Thread Information