DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Skill Proficiencies

Hello,

In the default 5e ruleset, the skills have a untrained, prof, half-prof, double prof system going that adds no prof, full prof, half-prof, and double prof respectively.

If I wanted to change the way this works to a "novice (1/2 prof), trained (full prof), master (double prof), and grandmaster (double prof, win all ties)" sort of system, where do I find the code for determining the modifiers?

I have figured out how to add a new level (grandmaster) and icon, but I have not yet found where the 0, x1.5, x1, x2 skill modifiers to proficiency are being assigned so i can change their order.

Anyone able to point me right direction?

\scripts\manager_action_skill.lua Lines 28-39.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you for your help in this and my other question!

Follow-up question: <RESOLVED>

That did sort out handling the roll properly (click on button, it adds the right bonus), but the modifier box itself that totals it all up still displays wrong. Where would that be located? Thank you!

For anyone else that comes across this, the answer to that is
    template_char.lua, starting at line 201ish and again at line 600ish
    Last edited by ronalmb; August 30th, 2015 at 17:00.

Blog Entries
    Hi ronalmb you probably worked this out in a similar fashion but if you use something like Notepad++ and the find in files feature it will help you locate all the different files that are linked in some way to what you are trying to modify. The next challenge you will have is that the next time there is a 5e ruleset update your changes will get overwritten... you shoudl have a look at a basic extension and then recreate your work in an extension file and it will then survive most updates (it might break if any of those particular things are changed in the actual 5e ruleset in some way).

Thank you for your reply.

This applies in all cases? I had made a copy of the 5e ruleset and renamed it outside and internally, and started from there. That sounds like that is insufficient?

Ideally, I'd just write a ruleset completely from scratch and someday, maybe I will... but most of this scripting is new to me! It's fun tho. For my dream-practice project (a classless d20 system) I need to detach the class mechanic -- but it's clear to me that there is an awful lot of stuff dependent on it.

Maybe I need to rethink this and go back to the CorePRG as the basis and just use the 5e as a complicated how-to guide.

EDIT: Yeah, I am using Notepad++ and that is how i found what i needed. Sometimes I'm able to intuit where things are linked.. and other times, not so much.. so then I come here and get awesome help.
    Last edited by ronalmb; August 31st, 2015 at 18:41.

Blog Entries
    So long as you renamed the ruleset you wil be ok.
    Building UP from CoreRPG is the recommended way but if 5e is close to what you are after tearing 5e down might be easier.

CoreRPG it is, i think. I only need the d20 + modifier mechanic.... removing the existing class stuff and not breaking everything is proving to be a lot more work than i anticipated.

But I will miss the already formatted skill tab, the already created "click the character sheet button and roll" functions, and the very nicely functioning inventory and action tabs.

Blog Entries
    I found that taking the pieces I wanted from 3.5 while using CoreRPG as a base worked pretty well for me overall. You can take 'just the skills tab' from 5e or 3.5 and modify them to match what you are doing. I used the 3.5 skills tab for HERO rules.. yes.. I modified it pretty heavily... but the basic structure was there.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Thread Information