Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Considering buying, want to gauge interest

This is more or less a repost of what I've put on the Steam forums, but figured here might be a good place to ask as well. I have had my eye on Fantasy Grounds for quite a while, been kicking around the idea of picking up the ultimate license version of this. Been wanting a VTT software to run some new weird indie titles I've been asked to demo, and wouldn't mind doing a few more normal games as well.

Curious how much interest there is here for my favorites before I drop $150 on it, though. Any people wanting to try or play any of the following?
    Trail of Cthulhu/Night's Black Agents (variants of the Gumshoe system)
    Deadlands/Weird War 2/Achtung! Cthulhu (Savage Worlds)
    Legend of the Five Rings

Possibly Shadowrun, Continuum (not likely at all), or Iron Kingdoms/Unleashed

I'm not new to tabletop gaming, or even running games online, just would be new to doing it with Fantasy Grounds. Been ruining people's Friday nights from behind a screen for over a decade. I'd mostly be looking to run oneshots and short campaigns with 3-5 players, at least until I find a decent group who line up well in terms of schedules and playstyle for something longer.

I hear good things about FG whe running Savage Worlds, which in the last two years has fast become one of my favorite rulesets, despite being an old-fashioned wargamer with a fondness for rule-heavy systems. So that's really the big draw for me. Gumshoe is pretty light; I'm sure I could figure out how to implement that even without a premade DLC to structure it.

Blog Entries
    No idea about most of those games, but I've played a SW game once and it went quite well on FG.

Also, don't think you need to absolutely pop for the $150 license - that allows you to host an endless number of players who don't have to pay a dime to game. If you go with the Full license ($39), then people who play in your games will need their own paid license for FG... but this saves you a lot of money.

Edit: Check out https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...itle=Main_Page for information on supported rule sets (likely some of what you listed will have a community programmed solution already).
    Last edited by JohnD; August 22nd, 2015 at 18:25.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Trail of Cthulhu is available as a very well made community ruleset: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...thulhu-ruleset And others have ran NBA pretty easily.

I'll always be up for playing some one-shots (timing permitting).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Also, don't think you need to absolutely pop for the $150 license - that allows you to host an endless number of players who don't have to pay a dime to game. If you go with the Full license ($39), then people who play in your games will need their own paid license for FG... but this saves you a lot of money.
    My sticking point with the Ultimage License mostly comes down to getting use out of it. I'd rather drop $150 on something I'll get players for on a regular basis and run a couple of games a week than $40 for a product that I run three games for then give up on due to lack of players. I already own hundreds (I hope it isn't thousands, I'm not doing that math) of dollars worth of RPG books that I'm not using and may never use. My question at this point being more about player interest than just the money or the need to write up my own code for automating bits of less-popular systems.

If that's your thinking, then I would recommend the subscription option instead. But honestly, it's pretty rare to find players who aren't willing to have their own license, at least in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    If that's your thinking, then I would recommend the subscription option instead. But honestly, it's pretty rare to find players who aren't willing to have their own license, at least in my experience.
    Yeah, I just assumed that the people who were playing in my Roll20 campaign wouldn't want to buy licenses, so I just went ahead and grabbed the Ultimate one without even asking them.
    Proud Ultimate License Holder
    Also have bought a lot of other 5E and other , incl. Savage Worlds, Mutants & Masterminds, and Pathfinder 2e
    Central Time Zone (living in the USA, although born on the eastern shores of Canada)
    Have Played All D&D Editions except for 3/3.5 (am familiar with those rules, tho)

I'd definitely be happy to join a Cthulhu game using any ruleset if you could use someone, so long as the times don't conflict with my other games. Let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Hammer View Post
    Curious how much interest there is here for my favorites before I drop $150 on it, though. Any people wanting to try or play any of the following?
    Trail of Cthulhu/Night's Black Agents (variants of the Gumshoe system)
    Deadlands/Weird War 2/Achtung! Cthulhu (Savage Worlds)
    Legend of the Five Rings

Possibly Shadowrun, Continuum (not likely at all), or Iron Kingdoms/Unleashed.
    Welcome!!!

As has been noted CoC is done in a community ruleset. You can go here to see the rulesets that are supported either thru license or the community https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

You might also want to check out the store https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/ and do a search thru the licensed content. There are many Savage Worlds products already done and ready to install (after purchase) for Deadlands and other SW settings. The nice thing about the licensed content (even though you have to spend a few bucks) is that it is complete with the material from the books and most if not all content is drag/drop making creating characters/encounters/treasure parcels/etc. very quick and easy as a GM.

If you have any further questions, be sure to ask as we are also looking for new players and especially GMs!!!
    Ultimate License Holder--All can play in my games.

Need Help as a GM, PM me and I will give as much assistance as I can to get you started.

COMPLETED PROJECTS--Fifth Edition Foes (Frog God Games) 5E. Quests of Doom Volume 1 (Frog God Games) 5E, Quests of Doom Volume II (Frog God Games) 5E.

CURRENT PROJECTS--Quests of Doom 3 & 4 (Frog God Games) 5E.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jshauber View Post
    As has been noted CoC is done in a community ruleset.
    Trail of Cthulhu is community - Call of Cthulhu is a licensed product that includes Core Rulebooks (6th Edition) and a couple of short adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Trail of Cthulhu is community - Call of Cthulhu is a licensed product that includes Core Rulebooks (6th Edition) and a couple of short adventures.
    My bad, too many Cthulhus to keep track of...nearly as many as there are tentacles
    Ultimate License Holder--All can play in my games.

Need Help as a GM, PM me and I will give as much assistance as I can to get you started.

COMPLETED PROJECTS--Fifth Edition Foes (Frog God Games) 5E. Quests of Doom Volume 1 (Frog God Games) 5E, Quests of Doom Volume II (Frog God Games) 5E.

CURRENT PROJECTS--Quests of Doom 3 & 4 (Frog God Games) 5E.

Thread Information