DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    I'm in two minds about this - on the one hand I feel people's pain in finding Players/GMs and then finding out if they're good/compatible (not necessarily the same thing) - (BTW I've got something comming out Soon(TM) which should help with this - I know, another teaser ). On the other hand I feel people's pain when an @sshole of a person drops you a bad rating because they don't like you as opposed to you doing something wrong. That's happened to me twice: once on eBay when I purchased something from the USA and it didn't arrive, so I got a refund and then the seller wrote a very nasty (anti-)recommendation claiming I'd ripped him off, etc. The second time was on these boards: one of the community members here gave me some negative reputation which I and some others considered unjustified after I wrote a reply to a post which this individual took as a personal attack/didn't like/whatever.

However, the reputation system here on the FG forums is (I consider) a good one to use as a model if we decide to go ahead with this idea, being a weighted system (ie the more rep you have the more your recommendations are worth).

The only trouble with any of these rep-type systems is they tend to favor established and/or people who play in/run a lot of different games. New people and those of us who run/play long-term stable games are at a diassadvantage: the new people because they don't have any rep because they are starting out, and the long-termers because they game with the same group and so don't have a chance to gain rep.

Something to consider if we go ahead.

Cheers
    Last edited by dulux-oz; June 28th, 2015 at 02:21.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Maybe instead of votes, similar information could be gleaned from some kind of achievements system. Like badges for number of sessions played of a particular campaign (hard to track) or stats consecutive sessions played on the same night. Amount of hours online as player, amount online as GM etc

Not a bad idea - it would require honesty from all involved, and is therefore open to abuse - but what system isn't?
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Badges is a good idea. having said this I must be one of the luckier GM, I have tended to attract good players. Even if they do not stick they all been nice about it. Never had a bad player or GM, and those that have been borderline, I just see it they were having a bad day and not usually like that.

Just to be clear, I am not talking about a system where you can go in type and leave dirty detail about another player or GM, after having a dispute, I don’t believe that would be productive or fair. I’m just talking about basic ranking like a 1-5 scale for some basic categories:
    Shows up for games on time
    Communicates effectively within the group
    Plays well with others
    Creativity with characters or games

I can see that if someone got a lot of negative ranks that it would kill their gaming experience on FG, the good news is they could always set up a new profile and try again. This might actually make people that want to use FG as their role play service become accountable to their community. Just like in real life if you flake out or cause trouble with in a group you would probably not receive another game invitation. But if that is the case, it’s their fault and is that the type of person you really want with in the gaming group? I’ve been role playing for a really long time and many a days I have hosted games myself. I still believe a ranking system would be more beneficial to this community and less negative, along with allowing players and GM’s alike to be able to hold each other accountable. In may I joined a new started AL group to try out FG, the game seemed to be going very well, then last game day the GM sent a ton of messages online within the forums stating the server was up and to join in, but he refused to join in to chat until everyone was on the server, which was weird because no one could join the supposed server. One of the other players opens his server up and everyone including the GM was able to join in to that. Still the GM didn’t join voice chat, which I thought was weird. Any rate that game night was canceled, no big deal the DM apologized and stated the next few weeks he would be unable to Game. A month later the game had not restarted, so after not filling my Wednesday night game itch in over a month, I finally asked if the game was going to restart or not. Thus the reason for most of this post, the GM finally responded back that he was no longer interested in the campaign and it would not restart, but why on earth did he have to wait for a player to ask the question. What he didn’t realize is that I had already review his profile and could see that at the same time he stop our campaign, and put everyone on the hook for continuing, he had started a new campaign for a different game on Thursday. I don’t believe he ever had intention of returning to the AL campaign, but instead of just telling the group that he flaked out and let everyone wait a month before ending the campaign, a campaign that seem everyone was enjoying. I believe that without a means to rank players this community, it will lose players that are interested but have similar experiences to mine, or you will see more people posting negatively commits on people’s forums.

x-baby longshot, I have been on both sides of the fence as a player and a GM. As a GM, start small and build over time. I've been GMing old school 1e Dungeon Crawls converted to 5e for 2 groups. One group I'm very familiar with because I have gamed with them for the past 2 years now and we're all friends or related to someone in the group IFL. The other group I started right here. I've had a few drop out, but have managed to fill the openings with new players and I tip my hat to this group for putting up with me for the past 5 months as their GM. I try to stock my games with at least 6 players and will run a game with 4. As a player, I try to make as many games as I can because I know GMs put in a lot of time to prep for their games to make it fun for the players, but sometimes schedules conflict (spouses, kids, jobs, rl, etc.).

Last, when FG has a Con or a 1 shot game day, sign up for some games. It's a great way to meet people, learn new systems, and game.

Good luck with finding a game that suits your taste.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Timezone: UTC -6

DM: 1e Ruins of Adventure, Curse of the Azure Bonds
    DM: 5e Descent into Avernus
    D&D 1e to 5e adventures converted: Keep on the Borderlands, White Plume Mountain, Tomb of Horrors, Against the Giants, Descent into the Depths of the Earth, Shrine of the Kuo-Toa, Vault of the Drow, Queen of the Demon Web Pits
    Transitioning from D&D to DCC

May your dice rolls be ever in your favor.

VenomousFiligree
    Quote Originally Posted by X-baby longshot View Post
    Just to be clear, I am not talking about a system where you can go in type and leave dirty detail about another player or GM, after having a dispute, I don’t believe that would be productive or fair. I’m just talking about basic ranking like a 1-5 scale for some basic categories:
    Shows up for games on time
    Communicates effectively within the group
    Plays well with others
    Creativity with characters or games

I can see that if someone got a lot of negative ranks that it would kill their gaming experience on FG, the good news is they could always set up a new profile and try again. This might actually make people that want to use FG as their role play service become accountable to their community. Just like in real life if you flake out or cause trouble with in a group you would probably not receive another game invitation. But if that is the case, it’s their fault and is that the type of person you really want with in the gaming group? I’ve been role playing for a really long time and many a days I have hosted games myself. I still believe a ranking system would be more beneficial to this community and less negative, along with allowing players and GM’s alike to be able to hold each other accountable. In may I joined a new started AL group to try out FG, the game seemed to be going very well, then last game day the GM sent a ton of messages online within the forums stating the server was up and to join in, but he refused to join in to chat until everyone was on the server, which was weird because no one could join the supposed server. One of the other players opens his server up and everyone including the GM was able to join in to that. Still the GM didn’t join voice chat, which I thought was weird. Any rate that game night was canceled, no big deal the DM apologized and stated the next few weeks he would be unable to Game. A month later the game had not restarted, so after not filling my Wednesday night game itch in over a month, I finally asked if the game was going to restart or not. Thus the reason for most of this post, the GM finally responded back that he was no longer interested in the campaign and it would not restart, but why on earth did he have to wait for a player to ask the question. What he didn’t realize is that I had already review his profile and could see that at the same time he stop our campaign, and put everyone on the hook for continuing, he had started a new campaign for a different game on Thursday. I don’t believe he ever had intention of returning to the AL campaign, but instead of just telling the group that he flaked out and let everyone wait a month before ending the campaign, a campaign that seem everyone was enjoying. I believe that without a means to rank players this community, it will lose players that are interested but have similar experiences to mine, or you will see more people posting negatively commits on people’s forums.
    I will hold up my hand and say that I am the GM in question and clarify some points.

I don't believe I ever stated that the AL game was a campaign, it was always intended as one shot play.
    By 'voice chat' I assume you mean the hangout? When I realised there was a problem with FG most of my time was spent trying to fault find by restarting both FG and my machine many times. Joining the hangout would have been intermittent at best and I didn't see what use it would be at the time. I was trying to get FG functional.
    Anyone can join a game nothing has to be set up. Many things can create issues with hosting a game, port forwarding, firewalls, software conflicts, etc.
    With regards to Wednesdays, I have two daughter who are keen waterloo players, they have swimming and waterpolo training on Mondays, Wednesday, Fridays, some Saturdays, and Sundays. Up until recently they attended the same 1 1/2 slot, when the eldest moved up she now goes to a different slot, meaning 3 hours at the pool and return visit back home. Whereas my wife was happy to do a 1 1/2 slot at the pool, it was now a two parent event.
    Last I looked I'm not in a Thursday campaign, I believe I played (not ran) a one shot a few weeks ago, however generally this is a difficult night for me to game on.
    I agree I should have been more communicative and for this I have apologised in the original thread.

Venomous, this post is me asking for a means to rank GM's and players alike. It is in no way intended it to be an avenue to flame out particular people or seek a vendetta against you.
    That said I would like to apologies, apparently I was incorrect in my perception of your character. I had assumed after review of your recent post history showing 27 posts regarding savage world since June 8th, (as I can’t see farther back then that) misled me to the perception that you had decided to continue gamming on Thursdays playing savage worlds but had not informed the group that you had decided to stop running your AL game until I had questioned your intent.
    However I have not been able to see where this was listed as a one shot adventure. I believe it was advertised as a mini campaign and would continue until 5 mini adventures where completed.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...City-of-Danger

I completely understand Family and other real life issues stop people from being able to engage upon their commitments online. I also absolutely believe that real life should come first, however it is also my belief that I’m obligated to keep others informed if I am unable to attend an obligation online thus no one will be kept waiting on me. While this seems to be common courtesy to me it has been mostly uncommonly observed by me while using FG. It seems to me that since I have started to play on FG many people tend to be very inconsiderate about these things online and tend not to communicate their lack of ability to attend their obligations. Thus why I believe that a ranking system would give a good reason for players and GM’s alike to either attend their commitments or communicate their lack of ability to do so in a way that is respectful of other peoples time.
    So again I apologize if my post offended you in any way, as the intent of this post was not to call attention to you, but merely a suggestion of a means to correct an issue that I believe most GM’s and players Using FG has experienced, and possibly enhance every one’s gaming experience.

VenomousFiligree
    For not wanting to flame out or seek a vendetta that last post seemed to be fixated on me:

In may I joined a new started AL group to try out FG, the game seemed to be going very well, then last game day the GM sent a ton of messages online within the forums stating the server was up and to join in, but he refused to join in to chat until everyone was on the server, which was weird because no one could join the supposed server. One of the other players opens his server up and everyone including the GM was able to join in to that. Still the GM didn’t join voice chat, which I thought was weird. Any rate that game night was canceled, no big deal the DM apologized and stated the next few weeks he would be unable to Game. A month later the game had not restarted, so after not filling my Wednesday night game itch in over a month, I finally asked if the game was going to restart or not. Thus the reason for most of this post, the GM finally responded back that he was no longer interested in the campaign and it would not restart, but why on earth did he have to wait for a player to ask the question. What he didn’t realize is that I had already review his profile and could see that at the same time he stop our campaign, and put everyone on the hook for continuing, he had started a new campaign for a different game on Thursday. I don’t believe he ever had intention of returning to the AL campaign, but instead of just telling the group that he flaked out and let everyone wait a month before ending the campaign, a campaign that seem everyone was enjoying.
    The Savage Worlds game I tried to recruit for was a one shot - that means one session, no more. A (rare) Thursday evening became free on that day only, hence it was advertised for that day only (and incidentally it didn't run due to lack of players on the day).

When I advertised the City of Danger game, I was (mistakenly) led to believe it was one (four, maybe five hour) session of 5 mini adventures.

This adventure is broken up into five mini-adventures, each of which takes approximately one hour to complete.
    It soon became apparent that it wasn't, as each mini adventure seemed to drag out to at least 2 hours. So I definitely did not class what I believed to be a single (albeit long) session, to be a campaign by any stretch of the imagination (and never detailed it as such).

I have apologised for my lack of communication in that game (in the original thread) and note your apology in this thread. I'll now bow out.

And this is why the "rating" system will not work... Things happen beyond the control of each of us and could be reflected in the ratings from someone else that is having a bad hair day. Just keep a personal list of GM\Players you did not have a good experience with and go play in someone else's sandbox. In effect you will have a rating system but on a personal level and no affronts can be given or taken.

Thread Information