5E Character Create Playlist
Page 31 of 52 First ... 21293031323341 ... Last

Thread: DCC RPG Ruleset

Blog Entries
    Always appreciate the improvements you bring to the ruleset.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Wanted to pop in and say a huge thanks for the ruleset.

Will be running my first DCC game tonight!

Hi there and thanks a lot for the DCC ruleset!

I would like to start playing with some DCC newbies and I am wondering what is the best way to transport that DCC funnel experience in FG (rolling stats, weird dice...).
    As a lot of DCC modules are funnels I guess that quite a few people here have experience in how to handle the number of 0-level chars and stat-rolling in an enjoyable way?

Second, do you think it would be possible to create an extension with pictures of the dice in the dicechain that you can click to roll? Something similar to the icons in the Starwars EotE ruleset.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hereander View Post
    I would like to start playing with some DCC newbies and I am wondering what is the best way to transport that DCC funnel experience in FG (rolling stats, weird dice...).
    As a lot of DCC modules are funnels I guess that quite a few people here have experience in how to handle the number of 0-level chars and stat-rolling in an enjoyable way?
    Funnels are tricky on FG. I toyed with making an extension for funnels with a one-page character sheet, but condensing things was tough. Here are some suggestions...

• Create pregens that players select when they login, or organize a "session 0" (or would it be session -1?) just to prep char sheets and make sure everything is working.
    • Stat rolling is easier than in live games once you figure it out. Right click the d6 and select 3, then roll. Chat will do the math. Results can be dragged from chat to char sheet.
    • The % dice and d30 (for lucky roll) are under the custom dice menu for d10 (right click to access). The d24 is under the d12 - for equipment. Drag these to hot keys if you want to speed things up.
    • Prepare a unique portrait for each player - images of Hugh and the gang can be cropped from product images on the GG website for example. The same portrait is assigned to every character sheet for that player. You will appreciate this tip more as a judge when you see 15+ portraits across the top of your desktop (in no particular order).
    • Consider dropping one zero per player into the combat tracker - specifically the one rolling initiative so they auto-sort. I have dropped all of them in there and had each roll initiative (the combat tracker menu has a button to auto-roll all initiatives), which is fine depending on your comfort level with FG. I usually have the zero with the best init bonus roll, and then all zeroes for that player act on that init count.
    • When a zero dies, clear it from the desktop (right click the portrait image). Remember to clean up the combat tracker as you go. It will delay things for a few secs, but you will quickly get confused if you don't and probably kill the same zero twice at some point.
    • The party sheet is useful as a GM for quickly scanning luck scores, occupations, etc. if you don't mind taking the time to drop everyone in there. Don't forget to clear the dead ones!
    • Mass combats are tough, even with the combat tracker. As with PCs, FG offers diminishing returns as you start dropping dozens of NPCs into the combat tracker. I blelieve you can drop NPC attack/damage rolls onto desktop portraits, which is much easier than targeting on the combat tracker if that kind of fight breaks out.

Quote Originally Posted by hereander View Post
    Second, do you think it would be possible to create an extension with pictures of the dice in the dicechain that you can click to roll? Something similar to the icons in the Starwars EotE ruleset.
    Cool, I haven't seen that before. It takes up some space on the desktop, so I would have to see what that looks like. I have been messing around with some other changes, but I haven't had much time lately. I have tried some changes only to realize that I made the char sheet 10x more complicated, which I think goes against the DCC aesthetic. Let us know how the funnel goes!

Blog Entries
    I haven't had much time to work on this lately, but I have been chipping away at it - moving things around and back again. Most of the new stuff (skills/powers similar to 5E) is working. Most of the combat tab has been moved to pop-up windows on the main tab, which has orphaned a few fields like the fumble die, armor check penalty, and the deed die. I am currently linking the crit/fumble/deed dice to the weapons frame, and armor check penalty lives under encumbrance (for now). If I ever find the time, I might create a Mutant Crawl Classics extension.

Attachment 19988

Blog Entries
    Always happy to see the constant improvements you add to this ruleset! In my spare time, I have been converting free RPG day or other free modules (funnels) over to FG. Might run some next FG Con day.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    Always happy to see the constant improvements you add to this ruleset! In my spare time, I have been converting free RPG day or other free modules (funnels) over to FG. Might run some next FG Con day.
    Count me in for that

Blog Entries
    The next version of the DCC RPG ruleset is ready, but I am going to wait until the next FG update is released (probably after Gen Con).

Please save a copy of your campaign before updating. The changes are significant, and the new version will almost certainly cause problems with existing campaign data or equipment/spell modules. I am not a professional coder so you will not see an automatic version updater. I can help you salvage any campaign or module data if this is a major problem for your group. The updates are worth the trouble IMO, but if you disagree, version 2.9 will remain available for download.

Here are a few of the changes:
    • Desktop buttons for dice swaps (+1d, +2d, -1d, and -2d).
    • Extensive layout changes to match the basic 5E theme.
    • Several calculations have been moved to pop-up windows accessible by clicking the magnifying glass icon.
    • Enhanced customization of skills, including ability modifiers and armor check penalty.
    • Item weights are hidden by default, with an option to show if desired.
    • Added an actions tab similar to 5E for weapons and powers.
    • Added buttons at the top of the weapons section for easy rolling of crit, fumble, and deed dice. (No more clicking between tabs to roll the crit die!)
    • Deed die result is now visible as a field (in a pop-up window for weapons) and remains constant until the die is re-rolled. This fixes an issue with multiple attacks per round re-rolling the deed die for each attack instead of once per round.
    • Two-weapon fighting is now a weapon type in the weapons list. Primary or off hand is specified in the weapon detail.
    • Added fields for spells by level, number of spells known, and max spell level. These hide when not in 'preparation' mode.
    • Added powers functionality similar to 5E. Power action types may be customized as cast, damage, heal, or effect.
    • Fixed a few bugs.

I will post some tips for using the new ruleset in the near future. The improved functionality has definitely increased the complexity, and not everyone is familiar with 5E.

Blog Entries
    It is truly great that you keep improving this ruleset!

Blog Entries
    Blog post with a preview of the ruleset.

Thread Information