DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Enabling players to roll their own physical dice

Was having a discussion inside another thread about ways to allow players to roll physical dice and have that used in FG.

Currently to get all the dice calculations and applying damages the rolls need to be made automatically in FG.

This thread is for discussion of allowing a GM to enter player rolls into calculations for attacks, damages and saves.

I might start looking into it this week, depending on how much work kicks my ***.

This was post by damned

VikingBrad here is a way to do it - perfect? no. will it work - yes.

Drag something on to your hotbar - anything - it doesnt matter. close Fantasy Grounds and locate the following file:

If doing as GM
    %appdata%\fantasy grounds\campaign\<campaign_name>\usersettings\hotk eys_host.xml

or if doing as a player
    %appdata%\fantasy grounds\cache\<campaign_name>\usersettings\hotkeys .xml

edit it in notepad++ or just plain old notepad

paste this code in between the <bank number="0"> and </bank> tags - see he existing entry as a reference. note you cant have duplicate key numbers within a bank...

Code:
    <key number="4">
    		<description>[ATTACK (M)] Weapon [CRIT 20]</description>
    		<icon>action_attack</icon>
    		<data>
    			<type>attack</type>
    			<slot number="0">
    			<string>[ATTACK (M)] Weapon [CRIT 20]</string>
    			</slot>
    		</data>
    </key>
    	<key number="5">
    			<description>[DAMAGE (M)] Weapon</description>
    			<icon>action_damage</icon>
    			<data>
    				<type>damage</type>
    				<slot number="0">
    					<number>0</number>
    					<string>[DAMAGE (M)] Weapon</string>
    				</slot>
    			</data>
    	</key>
    save the file and reload fantasy grounds.

Player rolls a 12 you add his bonuses in (you now need to do all that manually) and add the final number eg 16 into the modifier box and click hotkey 4 or press [f4] and your roll of 16 will go as an Attack Roll. You can drag this on to the target and it will declare a hit or miss. you do basically the same thing with damage.

And this was by Trenloe

Expanding on damned's post #23 above. You can drag the result of any action (attack, damage, save, etc.) from the chat window to the hotkeys, then you can use the modifier approach without the need to modify the XML. Create a PC with negative bonuses for the relevant actions and keep rolling them until the result is 0 and then add them to the hotkey bar. You might have to roll a while until you get 0 as damned mentions below... Damage of 0 should be able to do pretty easily - clear the damage dice and any bonuses, then drag the empty damage entry directly to the hotkey bar.

Blog Entries
    Damage of 0 by way of modifiers doesnt work in 5e as it sets the minimum damage for a successful hit to 1... at least as far as i could find...
    however you can drag your initial weapon to include all its piercing bludgeoning fire radiant magic silver etc properties and then tweak the xml using the above as a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Damage of 0 by way of modifiers doesnt work in 5e as it sets the minimum damage for a successful hit to 1... at least as far as i could find...
    Works fine for me:

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

d0 is a special dice that only appears to be in the 5E ruleset. It would be easy enough to add to other rulesets with a basic extension.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by vikingbrad View Post
    This was post by damned

VikingBrad here is a way to do it - perfect? no. will it work - yes.

Drag something on to your hotbar - anything - it doesnt matter. close Fantasy Grounds and locate the following file:

If doing as GM
    %appdata%\fantasy grounds\campaign\<campaign_name>\usersettings\hotk eys_host.xml

or if doing as a player
    %appdata%\fantasy grounds\cache\<campaign_name>\usersettings\hotkeys .xml

edit it in notepad++ or just plain old notepad

paste this code in between the <bank number="0"> and </bank> tags - see he existing entry as a reference. note you cant have duplicate key numbers within a bank...

Code:
    <key number="4">
    		<description>[ATTACK (M)] Weapon [CRIT 20]</description>
    		<icon>action_attack</icon>
    		<data>
    			<type>attack</type>
    			<slot number="0">
    			<string>[ATTACK (M)] Weapon [CRIT 20]</string>
    			</slot>
    		</data>
    </key>
    	<key number="5">
    			<description>[DAMAGE (M)] Weapon</description>
    			<icon>action_damage</icon>
    			<data>
    				<type>damage</type>
    				<slot number="0">
    					<number>0</number>
    					<string>[DAMAGE (M)] Weapon</string>
    				</slot>
    			</data>
    	</key>
    save the file and reload fantasy grounds.

Player rolls a 12 you add his bonuses in (you now need to do all that manually) and add the final number eg 16 into the modifier box and click hotkey 4 or press [f4] and your roll of 16 will go as an Attack Roll. You can drag this on to the target and it will declare a hit or miss. you do basically the same thing with damage.
    Is there documentation that gives the definition of each of these tags? I've looked in the wiki but I'm not having much luck.

Blog Entries
    I dont think so. So much of this stuff is used only in niche/edge cases that the time to document outweighs the benefit... not to you or me or snyone who wants to use this stuff but as a use of those resources by the company... if that makes sense.
    If you drag a couple of weapons down to Hot Link bar and look in the file you should be able to determine what they each mean.

Thread Information