5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 4 of 7 First ... 23456 ... Last

We use the drop a text reminder and when the PC actually uses it the Bard drops an actually effect.

Yeah, I'd follow the recommendations above, and use an effect to keep track of bonuses the players can sit on and expend at will. As for applying the bonus:

If the player can add a 1d6 to a roll, and must decide to do so before the roll, you can have him roll the 1d6, drag the result into the Modifier box, and then roll his actual attack. It's reasonably fast when someone gets comfortable with it.
    If the player can add the 1d6 to the roll after the roll is made (like with Bardic Inspiration), then I think the player just has to roll a 1d6 and the DM must manually adjudicate, though I can't even really imagine a particularly effective UX for automating that functionality if someone tried.

If the 1d6 had to be added before the roll, there would be more options for using effects, like having each player add an expending +1d6 modifier effect with 0 uses available to their sheets, and increase the number of uses available when the ability is used on them, but that's not the case here, unfortunately.

As for the Wounded option, I don't see any simple way of doing that. Bloodied works, but that's not sufficient here. It shouldn't be too hard to add that as a keyword ( like "IFT: Wounded"), so trying to request it doesn't seem unreasonable.
    +2 License of Ultimate Hosting
    Current Projects: Murder in Baldur's Gate Module
    Completed Projects: Curse of Strahd module, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Module, Out of the Abyss Module, Legacy of the Crystal Shard Module, Scourge of the Sword Coast Module, Effect Targeting Extension (5e), Unearthed Arcana: Vitality Extension

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

That's pretty much what I've been doing with Bardic Inspiration -- just adding a generic effect (with duration 10 minutes) to the receiving character to remind them that they have it available to use, and then manually rolling the 1d6 when they decide to apply the bonus. Was just wondering if there was anything better that I was missing.

And thanks for the suggestion on Colossus Slayer. I guess it's either make an alternate weapon entry including the bonus damage, or just manually roll and add the +1d8 when needed.

This just came up over in [Core], but I thought I'd share it with you all:
    Q: How do you sell items in the same parcel at different percentages?

A:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoot View Post
    Actually, we stumbled on a good solution for this. If you set an 'Assignment' for the items you do not want to sell right away to.. whatever 'save' or 'do not sell' or ... it doesn't really matter... it won't sell those items when you click the sell button. Then you can clear the assignments and sell the remaining items at a different %.

Thanks GuardianLurker. I've added this to the item hints. In imagining why people might need to do this more than once or twice a trip, the amusing images of a group trying to replicate a 4X game like Freelancer in a Tabletop RPG came to mind. Players asking the DM to share a table of the trade good buy & sell values in each town. "Hey guys, leather goods sell for 210% here. You think we can make it to the next town bareback?"

Mirth-iness aside, definitely convenient for more nuanced liquidation.
    Completed Projects: Curse of Strahd module, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Module, Out of the Abyss Module, Legacy of the Crystal Shard Module, Scourge of the Sword Coast Module, Effect Targeting Extension (5e), Unearthed Arcana: Vitality Extension

From another post, someone suggested that you can use the inventory to have things carried in something like a wagon or a bag of holding or similar. Instead of assigning an item to a player assign to neutral item. In this way things won't accidentally get into a player's inventory that they don't want or is marked for sale. As above they can then have the assignation removed to enable sales at a different price.

Hey, Zacchaeus.

I'm not a particularly big fan of that approach. It clutters up the Party Inventory screen, doesn't calculate the weight for you, adding another copy of an item already in storage will just increment the number in storage, and it doesn't give you a clear image of how many are stored where if you use more than one other location. It might work if there is just one non-PC storage location and only a couple items stored there, of a type that they won't be looting, but otherwise it seems like it might create more hassle than it solves problems.

But I admit there aren't considerably better alternatives out there. What I would typically do is what you alluded to: have a extra PC represent the inventory of the location. If your style of game allows for it, turn on the option that lets players view the Party Inventory (this solves most of the issues relating to all players not being able to open the mule's character sheet). When necessary, the control can be swapped around, but the controlling PC and the DM can act as gophers.

In the end, it feels a bit too hack-y to include, but if people think it should be in there (or if you think I included something that I maybe shouldn't have), let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by TASagent View Post
    Hey, Zacchaeus.

I'm not a particularly big fan of that approach.
    In the end, it feels a bit too hack-y to include, but if people think it should be in there (or if you think I included something that I maybe shouldn't have), let me know.
    No, no. I wasn't suggesting that the party inventory should be cluttered up with assorted bags of holding and wagons etc. I just thought that as a temporary means of separating stuff which was to be sold at different prices you could allocate items accordingly (and temporarily). In other words they'd be completely dummy entries.

I agree that having things stored in the Parcel Items part of the inventory should be discouraged. I tend to only leave things in there that have not been identified and the players don't have the time to identify them right away. Also turning on the option for players to view all players inventories would be essential if there is to be a mule or wagon or whatever.

We just made a Vault character (complete with chest token as the portrait). But I also like knowing that trick about the "save" assignment. Good stuff!
    Wedge
    -----
    Ultimate license holder
    Running a D&D 5e homegrown campaign and a Forgotten Realms campaign.

West Virginia (not the redneckish part), USA
    OK, Question/suggestion.
    Is there a list of the commands needed such as the ADVINIT, ADVSAVE, RESIST and a breif description or example of what they do?
    I've been keeping my eye out for something like this if it'e out there I've yet to stumble across it
    No matter where you go, there you are !!
    Ultimate License

Thread Information