STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last
    Expanded the Extensions section with general notes about the data directory and the Windows favorites list. I actually have it bookmarked there, myself. No need to add it to the favorites list from a bookmark, though. Just dragging the folder itself will work. I would never make use of a direct shortcut to the folder. I always just middle mouse-click the explorer icon on the taskbar to open a new instance. I mention it only because some people might not be aware that many applications support that feature.
    +2 License of Ultimate Hosting
    Current Projects: Murder in Baldur's Gate Module
    Completed Projects: Curse of Strahd module, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Module, Out of the Abyss Module, Legacy of the Crystal Shard Module, Scourge of the Sword Coast Module, Effect Targeting Extension (5e), Unearthed Arcana: Vitality Extension

Using the local host from the same computer. Does this not risk corrupting the data files?

I believe it's safe, and have never had a problem with it, myself. You definitely risk corruption if you try to host the same campaign in two instances at the same time, but my tests with connecting to my own campaign have been without issue. Someone who has been using FG longer can probably comment with more authority, but it seems to be a common practice.
    Completed Projects: Curse of Strahd module, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Module, Out of the Abyss Module, Legacy of the Crystal Shard Module, Scourge of the Sword Coast Module, Effect Targeting Extension (5e), Unearthed Arcana: Vitality Extension

There's definitely no problem with connecting using local host from the same computer. Just don't connect more than one other instance this way.

Most of the excellent tips in this thread aren't specific to 5E - can we get it (or a copy) moved to The Tavern?

Yeah, having limited experience with the other rulesets, I was hesitant to try to generalize the information, and didn't want to leave out 5e-specific stuff in the process. I know different subsets apply to other CoreRPG rulesets, like some of the specific effects stuff and 4e. If someone wants to copy this over there and cull some of the ruleset-specific items (or move them to appropriate subheaders), I encourage it. Or if the mods want to move this thread, I can try to do some of the rearranging myself.

Added this to Combat Tracker section (the second part is particularly noteworthy):

GM: Double clicking on or drag-rolling from an attribute in the expandable Attribute section of the combat tracker will perform a check using the chosen attribute (Strength check, for instance). Holding shift when doing so will perform a saving throw using the chosen attribute (like a Dexterity Saving Throw).

Great info TASagent, thanks.

What's the best way to handle Bardic Inspiration as an effect? It could last up to 10 minutes, and can be used when needed, not necessarily on the next roll. I don't see any obvious way to apply an effect that is discretionary about which roll it is applied to.

What about the hunter ability "Colossus Slayer"? Any way to implement that to detect if the target is below max HP (Wounds > 0), and if so, apply the +1d8 damage?

The way I handle Colossus slayer is to have the player have a weapon entry with the additional damage added to the weapon damage and just use that entry when doing damage to an opponent that has any damage at all. I don't think there is an automated way, but I might be wrong.

Vires Animi

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_C View Post
    What's the best way to handle Bardic Inspiration as an effect? It could last up to 10 minutes, and can be used when needed, not necessarily on the next roll. I don't see any obvious way to apply an effect that is discretionary about which roll it is applied to.
    There isn't a way to automate this precisely. You can set up two effects one of which is just a dummy one which will remind the player that Bardic Inspiration has been cast on them; this would be set to expire in 10 minutes. The second one would be the one that has the actual effect i.e. rolling the additional die and would need to be applied just before the character makes the roll.

Another way might be to set up a MODifier and drag it into the the toolbar and just click on it before it is needed. (See how I stole this idea from another post ) You'd still want the first 'dummy' effect on the player with a countdown timer so that you can determine when the effect runs out.

Thread Information