5E Character Create Playlist

Effect Targeting - 5e, 4e, CoreRPG, etc

Greetings!

I've done a bit of searching, and haven't been able to find existing posts regarding my problem on the forums. Please forgive me if I missed something obvious.

I would like to set up an Effect that automatically populates its "Targets" with the character's currently selected targets. Is there a way to do that with the Effect macros?

This would be helpful, for example, with the 5e spell "Hex", or a wide variety of the 4e Marking mechanics. Hex is a good example of the simplest case: One player (the caster), does bonus damage against one target (the castee). Currently, this can be accomplished by a self-targeted Effect with "DMG: 1d6 necrotic; [SELF]", but only if you shift-drag the condition onto the enemy you want to be the target of this ability. Is there any way to automatically fill in the Effect's "Targets" without either shift-dragging the ability to the enemy, or dragging the effect crosshair CT button to the target?

Ideally, it would be awesome if there was just an entry in the description like [T] to auto-populate "Targets" with the character's currently selected targets. Does this exist? Is there some other way to do what I want?

I wasn't able to find any entry matching this request in the wish-list, leading me to assume: A) It's already possible, B) SmiteWorks said No, C) SmiteWorks said Soon, D) I overlooked it, or a remote E) it hasn't been requested.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!

There is a capability like that. For the creature applying the effect, set the targets using the standa

1. Select the creature applying the effect.
    2. If the effect is targted, set targets for the selected creature. If the effect is self-targeted, then do nothing.
    3. Hold Shift key and drag the effect onto the final target.
    4. The initial targets will be set as the "effect targets", so that the effect dropped onto the final target creature only applies to the "effect targets".

Regards,
    JPG

Hey Moon Wizard, thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I saw that this was possible, I was just curious if it could be set up to work automatically:

without either shift-dragging the ability to the enemy, or dragging the effect crosshair CT button to the target?
    The ideal being simplifying the use of some powers, like the 5e Warlock spell Hex, to just selecting your target and activating the ability.

Obviously there are plenty of hypothetical scenarios that will require the more precise control that the Shift-drag or Target button offer, such as if A applies an effect to B with effect target C, but it seemed possible that the simplest (and likely most commonly used) cases of "Apply the effect to myself with my targets set as the Effect Targets" and "Apply the effect to my targets with me as the Effect Target" could have been implemented as part of the effect macro. It sounds like that may not be the case, unfortunately.

Do you have any idea, offhand, of the feasibility of a feature like that being deemed worthy and/or implemented? I can submit it to the wish list if you don't think it's a waste of time.

Thanks for the help! I've just started using FG and I love it.

If it's a self-targeted effect on a PC Actions tab, I believe you can just Shift-Drag onto the enemy token from the PC sheet.

The only other option I thought of that made sense required that a second window popup to specify the "targets" of the effect populated from the combat tracker with enemy and friendly units. But, that creates an interruption point (i.e. pop-up dialog) as well as requiring a lot more clicks. Since it was a fairly rare ability relative to total number of abilities, I used the current approach. It was originally built to support Warlords in D&D 4E.

At some point down the line, I want to restructure effects as a whole to be able to make them easier to manage and apply. However, this is not currently scheduled. You can pop it on the wish list to keep it remembered.

Cheers,
    JPG

Yeah, before my initial post I had confirmed through testing that using the effect text "DMG: 1d6 necrotic; [SELF]" and shift-dragging it to the target (or using the effect targeting button in the CT) works exactly as desired. I'll add to the wishlist the ability to specify some of the common/easily automated options like "Effect Target: None/Self/Targets" for D&D 3, 4 & 5 Effects.

Thanks!

For anyone who might stumble on this later:

I have created an extension to handle the request for the 5e ruleset.

Effect Targeting Enhancement
    +2 License of Ultimate Hosting
    Current Projects: Murder in Baldur's Gate Module
    Completed Projects: Curse of Strahd module, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Module, Out of the Abyss Module, Legacy of the Crystal Shard Module, Scourge of the Sword Coast Module, Effect Targeting Extension (5e), Unearthed Arcana: Vitality Extension

Thread Information