5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Connect or not to Connect - that is the question

I'm running my campaign in FG locally - most players don't have a client as they are around the table.
    I have the Combat Tracker on a Vertical monitor on the wall that all players can see and most players play with dice/paper at the table.

However, I have two players who have installed the client (because they cant see the small font on the Combat Tracker from their chairs - really need font enlargement for names in the combat tracker - yah posted it)

These local players are connecting via LOCALHOST

However, I have another player that wants to just dial in with the client.

Q: Can I use LOCALHOST and have people call in at the same time? Looked to me as if it was one or the other - not both but since I haven't set it up to punch through my two firewalls yet - I wanted to check if its even possible. I MUST have LOCAL HOST for the vertical monitor client at minimum so losing localhost isn't going to work for me. Can I let someone be remote and still use LOCALHOST?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Yes, you can use a single localhost connection on the same computer and have others connect without issue (assuming you and the players have the correct licences).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Falantrius View Post
    really need font enlargement for names in the combat tracker - yah posted it
    Have you tried /scaleui XX ? Where XX is a percentage to scale the whole UI. It won't scale individual fonts, but will make the whole view easier to see.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Have you tried /scaleui XX ? Where XX is a percentage to scale the whole UI. It won't scale individual fonts, but will make the whole view easier to see.
    Where do you use that? /scaleui xx

I have a wide screen monitor on the wall in vertical - Combat Tracker on top 2/3 and the chat window on the bottom 1/3.
    I need the names in the combat tracker to be larger so they can see them from about 8 feet away.

A single? I have about three using LOCALHOST out of the eight players.
    One of the eight wants to connect over the internet - which I haven't setup or done yet. We were just wondering if it would work before I tried to punch the holes through my two firewalls.

Where do you use that? /scaleui xx
    It's a chat slash command. Type /scaleui 150 to scale the whole user interface by 150%.

A single? I have about three using LOCALHOST out of the eight players.
    We've had this conversation before! Connecting using a server name/alias of localhost on the same computer that the GM is running is only recommended for a single instance.

It sounds like when you're referring to LOCALHOST you actually mean players on the same local network using the local IP address of the GM computer to connect?

Sounds like I am doing something wrong. For the Local network, I have my computer (for the vertical monitor) and two players all using LOCALHOST.
    Is that the wrong way for the players to connect - sounds like I got a lot to learn about connecting.

I tried this... moved it to 200% but ran into a couple issues
    1) When I scale it - it immediately goes to full window mode but switches it to the primary monitor - leaving the edges (that were there on the vertical monitor) off the screen and hard to resize. After I switch back to WINDOW mode - it switches back to the vertical monitor and then when maximized is all fine. I think its a bug that when you use the switch - it switches it back to the primary monitor vs the monitor it was on.
    2) The Chat and Combat Tracker wont reduce in size. The Chat window seems to want to stay about 16 lines tall - where in the UI increase - I want to bring it down to about 8-10 - but it wont let me make it smaller so it takes up most of the screen real-estate. The Combat Tracker goes down to about 6 tall - which is okay...I really want the Combat Tracker at about 12 and the Chat at about 6 - so I just have to put the chat window behind the Combat Tracker - not perfect but a work around.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I also notice that since it enlarges the ENTIRE UI - there isn't room for the maps/images now. So what I still really need is a way to increase the Character FONTs on the Combat Tracker while leaving the rest of the UI the same.

Good to know I can change the entire UI size though. Thanks.

You can create an extension that over-rides the fonts that you wish to change.

Thread Information