STAR TREK 2d20
Page 5 of 10 First ... 34567 ... Last
    How are you entering the notes? Are you using the campaign "notes" functionality, or are you using the campaign "story" functionality. For a GM you should really be using the "story" entries, notes are more for the players.

If you're using "notes", are you entering them directly as the GM or are you entering them from another instance of FG (essentially as a player)? Notes are tied to the username that created them, so I'm wondering if you are joining the game with a different name?

How are you storing your FG data directory? Is it in a directory that is synced to a cloud storage service like Google drive, Dropbox, one drive, etc.? People have reported strange data corruption using cloud sync tools directly on their FG data, they're not recommended.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    People have reported strange data corruption using cloud sync tools directly on their FG data, they're not recommended.
    Except for transporting from system to system. ie copying your campaign folder into the cloud drive AFTER play and copying out of drive into new system works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    How are you entering the notes? Are you using the campaign "notes" functionality, or are you using the campaign "story" functionality. For a GM you should really be using the "story" entries, notes are more for the players.

If you're using "notes", are you entering them directly as the GM or are you entering them from another instance of FG (essentially as a player)? Notes are tied to the username that created them, so I'm wondering if you are joining the game with a different name?

How are you storing your FG data directory? Is it in a directory that is synced to a cloud storage service like Google drive, Dropbox, one drive, etc.? People have reported strange data corruption using cloud sync tools directly on their FG data, they're not recommended.
    Well, I've written core information in notes, one note for each rule for example, and then in Story I have made a wiki-like structure; First a row of links, "Chapter 1", "Chapter 2" etc- and in each Chapter more links, e.g. "Proficiencies", "Maneuvers", "Skills", and then links to the core notes from there (the Skills note, for example links to a list of skills, which I can click to find the relevant skill.)
    It sounds convoluted but has worked very fine for me as a campaign management tool next to the Roll20 window (I have to use Roll20 because my game depends on exploding dice and target numbers).

I still have it when I load my first campaign in "Core RPG" but with damned's help I got a variant which I called "Riddle", in which he put code for me to give this ruleset its own character sheet.
    Then I did as you said and copied the campaign folder, renamed it, went into the xml file and changed it from "CoreRPG" to "Riddle", loaded up, worked fine, continued to work in the new ruleset, creating the five adventurers, entered all their details, logged off, everything gone, logged back on, everything back except the character sheet information, tried to fix it, failed, created the characters all over again, added some more material, logged off, came back today, everything gone again including all my notes and stuff.

The directory is not synced. Its located where FG wants to be (App/Roaming)

Not that it really matters...testing the connection results in epic failure anyway. But it *is* nice as a second monitor GM tool for keeping stuff in one place instead of a gazillion web browser windows which take up more memory.

On the first FG screen what do you see in the top right hand corner under the folder icon? Is it v3.0.13? v3.0.13 Ultimate? v3.0.13 Free?

You might be having file access issues (actually, this sounds exactly what you're having), so try running FG as administrator - right-click on the start icon and select "Run As Administrator".
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It says "v.3.0.13"
    (yesterday it said "ULTIMATE")
    I'll try out what you suggest, but I have FG on Steam though.

Edit:
    Nope, no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
    It says "v.3.0.13"
    (yesterday it said "ULTIMATE")
    The "full" upgrade to ultimate for the duration of FG Con VI (and a bit oafter) has just been switched off, so you're back to a full licence.

Nope, no difference.
    Running as Administrator will only wholly work going forwards - i.e. for data you've added while running as administrator, if the old data is truly gone it won't help get that back. I'm traveling with work this week, otherwise I'd offer to have a look at your campaign XML to try to work out why this is happening... Perhaps someone else will offer.

Thank you for the offer damned is helping me out.
    I can live with having to go through everything one more time, though.
    Do you suggest I only use FG as Administrator?

Do you suggest I only use FG as Administrator?
    Until we work out what's causing your data loss, yes.

damned worked his magic
    (and to me, it really does feel like magic, lol)

Thread Information